Adding "Ultimate" characters as other identities?

For any questions/comments/suggestions regarding using and/or contributing to ComicBookDB.com

Moderators: DarthSkeptical, Fnord Serious, Chris, spid, Skyhawke, Darth Kramer, mikebo

Merrik

Adding "Ultimate" characters as other identities?

Postby Merrik » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:19 am

Sorry if this has been posted and addressed before. I did a search and didn't find anything that seemed related to this, so I thought I'd post it here.

I've noticed on a few of the regular Marvel characters, that for other identities, they have their Ultimate Marvel counterparts listed.

For example She-Hulk:

http://comicbookdb.com/character.php?ID=149

Other identities has Jennifer Walters (Ultimate) listed.

My first instinct is that the Ultimate Counterparts should NOT be listed as other identities, but I obviously could be very wrong on this account.

Techincally they're not the same character and don't even exist in the same 'universe' as it is. Although it is helpful I suppose to see if the character has an Ultimate counterpart.

Was there ever any official word on wether or not this is the way to go about it?

Thanks!!

Darth Kramer

Postby Darth Kramer » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:36 pm

I'm with you in thinking that they shouldn't be added as other identities as they're not, they're completely different characters. I think that Chris should make the call on this one, however.

Dann

Postby Dann » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:55 pm

I'd agree as well. Seems that function should be more for name changes like Sprite/Ariel/Shadowcat, while it's still the same physical person.

Chris
Cosmic Donor
Cosmic Donor

Postby Chris » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:02 pm

I agree. Unless someone has a good reason, I don't see why they should be tied together.

Merrik

Postby Merrik » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:45 pm

Cool.

Thanks guys. I'll remove any that I come across!

Merrik

Postby Merrik » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:13 am

Just bumping this to wonder out loud if this is still the rule of thumb?

Just asking because a TON of characters are getting their Ultimate counterparts, and now, their Marvel Zombie counterparts added to their other identity listings.

I haven't removed any lately because it seems pointless as they just keep getting added back in.

If this is still the guideline we're going by, would it be possible to maybe add a note to the other identites page stating that characters from different universes or dimensions or whatever are not techincally other identities as they're separate characters?

It'd be like adding Gotham by Gaslight Batman to Batman (Bruce Wayne)'s other identities. It just doesn't make sense as they're not the same character.

Sorry to be a pest.

Thanks!

Darth Kramer

Postby Darth Kramer » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:59 pm

I still 100% agree with you. I disassociate as many of them as I run across, but they keep getting re-linked. I'm not sure what else can be done, short of requiring admin approval on adding identities, which seems like a step too far.

spid

Postby spid » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:32 pm

Might I suggest as you disassociate them you leave a message in the Ultimate Character's entry not to link to the Marvel entry. A link to this thread might also be needed.

Darth Kramer

Postby Darth Kramer » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:59 pm

Unfortunately, the modification histories don't log changes in that area. Maybe that's something Chris could add, though.

Merrik

Postby Merrik » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:10 am

Yeah, I checked to see if it listed who made the changes under the issue's contribution history, but nope. I was hoping maybe Chris or someone could send a nice message saying that it was a no-go or something, but that doesn't look like it's going to be the case.

Merrik

Postby Merrik » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:35 am

Not beating a dead horse, promise!

Just wanted to give an update that I spent the last eternity going through all characters with Ultimate and Marvel Zombies attached to their names and removing the other identities from the entries (I actually really... really... didn't realize how many there would be... I might've been scared off had I checked before I started the little project... ).

I also used the handy dandy code that Uthor was kind enough to provide months ago, and entered that into the notes section of every single character entry that had Ultimate or Marvel Zombies attached. I took it upon myself to bold the note... :P Hopefully this will help prevent the characters from getting linked again.

I just realized how much of a loser I am. Currently laid off and spending 12 hours fixing up some entries on the computer... that's... sad. :cry: :lol:

So anyway, if you see anyone linking these characters, smack 'em upside the head for me. :lol:

Chris
Cosmic Donor
Cosmic Donor

Postby Chris » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:15 pm

Merrik wrote:I just realized how much of a loser I am. Currently laid off and spending 12 hours fixing up some entries on the computer... that's... sad. :cry: :lol:

We love you for the geek you are ;)

Merrik

Postby Merrik » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:39 pm

Chris wrote:
Merrik wrote:I just realized how much of a loser I am. Currently laid off and spending 12 hours fixing up some entries on the computer... that's... sad. :cry: :lol:

We love you for the geek you are ;)

:oops:

Aww shucks! That's a nice change of pace from "Have you gotten a friggin' job yet!!!" :lol:

Varrus

Postby Varrus » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:14 pm

What's worse is that you used to do the same over at DVDspot! :P

Merrik

Postby Merrik » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:39 am

Varrus wrote:

What's worse is that you used to do the same over at DVDspot! :P

At least I was employed then... although, I can't figure out if that's worse... :x

Return to Site Support