Can't Upload Covers!

For any questions/comments/suggestions regarding using and/or contributing to ComicBookDB.com

Moderators: DarthSkeptical, Fnord Serious, Chris, spid, Skyhawke, Darth Kramer, mikebo

8man

Can't Upload Covers!

Postby 8man » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:33 am

OK, I've tried everything short of going into the Matrix itself to upload a cover I've scanned and it just won't! It keeps telling me that the server cannot be found or that the size is too large. What am I doing wrong and what are the steps to properly upload a cover that one has scanned? Geez this is frustrating!

Chris
Cosmic Donor
Cosmic Donor

Postby Chris » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:12 pm

It is difficult to see what is happening for you - I just tested the cover upload functionality without any problems at all - went right up.

I suggest that you make sure that your thumbnail and large versions of the images are not too large in file size and try again.

Darth Kramer

Re: Can't Upload Covers!

Postby Darth Kramer » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:56 am

8man wrote:OK, I've tried everything short of going into the Matrix itself to upload a cover I've scanned and it just won't! It keeps telling me that the server cannot be found or that the size is too large. What am I doing wrong and what are the steps to properly upload a cover that one has scanned? Geez this is frustrating!

I had this same problem a while back when the database was just up and running, and Chris and I went back and forth trying to figure out what was happening, and it started working when I was using a different photo editing software. All I can say is what Chris said, make sure the file sizes fit the guidelines (both pixel and size) and you're trying to upload the thumb and full-size at once.

8man

Can't Upload Covers!

Postby 8man » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:48 am

Thank you both for your replies, but unfortunately, I am still having difficulties. Maybe I should explain that I am an extreme novice and all I do is collect comics. Know nothing about this technical aspect of the hobby. My cousin just gave me ADOBE PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS as a gift and it's great, but I don't know how to use it yet. Is this a good software for this kind of thing? How do I use such a thing to achieve the results I'm looking for? In other words - from the begining, how do you set up the specs? Sizes, pixels, compression, widths, heights,etc. I AM A BEGINNER! A TWO YEAR OLD IF YOU WILL! Does this help?
Thank you so much for any input and for tolerating me.

Abe

Chris
Cosmic Donor
Cosmic Donor

Postby Chris » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:17 am

I don't know much about Photshop Elements myself, but a quick Google search yielded this page:

http://www.arraich.com/elements/pse_basics1.htm

Hopefully it is helpful :)

DarthSkeptical

Postby DarthSkeptical » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:26 pm

The following tutorial applies to PSE 2.0 for WinCraXP. It almost certainly applies exactly for both later and earlier versions, and for Windows versions of Photoshop proper. It absolutely applies to Macintosh versions of Photoshop--although the keyboard shortcuts are different.

PSE works exactly like Photoshop proper in terms of what you need to successfully upload covers to this site.

First, what you'll do is grab a cover image from somewhere. Then you'll open that image in PSE. If you're trying to make a thumbnail of that image, go under the IMAGE menu, and pull down to RESIZE, then over to IMAGE SIZE (or, if you're using the keyboard, press ALT-I, then R, then I). You'll then get a dialogue box. Change the width to 100 pixels. (You may need to use the drop-down menu to the right of the numeric value for width in order to set it up for pixels). Then, press OKAY.

You now have your image in the appropriate DIMENSIONS for the site, but it still may not be the appropriate SIZE. The easiest way to adjust this is to go under FILE | SAVE FOR WEB (or alt-F, and then press S three times. Or, press alt, shift and ctrl at the same time, while also pressing the S).

You will then see your image twice on the screen, along with some information to the right. It's the column on the right we want to look at now. You can take two approaches here. Either change the drop-down immediately to the right of the word "settings" to JPEG High, or change the drop-down immediately underneath the word "settings" to JPEG. In its out of the box state, this will achieve exactly the same thing in PSE. You are now set to convert your image to HIGH QUALITY jpeg.

In most cases this is all you need do. You'd press OK and be presented with a conventional "save" dialogue box.

However, you need to look at the two images on your screen to determine whether you need do anything more. The image on the RIGHT is the new image you're about to create. If you look in the BOTTOM LEFT corner of that pane, you'll see what the new size is going to be. For a THUMBNAIL, it must be 10K or less. If it is 10K or less, you're golden. Go ahead and save. If it's more than 10K, you're going to have to fiddle with the quality of the image to get it to an acceptable size.

Turning your attention again to the Settings area in the right-most column of the window, you have two options. Either you can go quick and dirty, or you can be more precise. The quick and dirty method is to pull down the drop-down currently reading "High". Make it "Medium", instead. This will almost always get you a size that's acceptable. Many times, it will not degrade the visual image quality to an appreciable degree, so you're fine to just make that one simple change and save. However, sometimes it really starts to pixellate the image. So you may want to go somewhere BETWEEN high and medium. This can be done by manually typing in a number in the box marked "quality". "60" is "High" and "30" is "Medium", so maybe try "50". Then "40".

As a general rule, 10k is the max for a thumbnail, but you don't want it to be too much below 8k for optimum viewing pleasure.

When you've struck the best balance between size and quality, press OK and you'll be able to save an image you can then upload.

For full-size cover images, the upper limit is 100K. This process is much the same. Chris hasn't set a width standard for large images, so you can kinda go with what you want. However, a size that seems to work very well is 400 pixels wide. If you set your larger images to this, and you've scanned the image in at 72 dpi, you'll merely have to save for web at JPEG HIGH. You shouldn't even have to look at changing any other settings.

When you're done using PSE and you've been crankin' out thumbnails, you'll probably have a lot of little windows open on your screen. Before quitting, PSE will ask you if you want to save your changes to these images. BE VERY CAREFUL HERE. Because changing the size of the image didn't change its NAME, just pressing "okay" on the dialogue box that pops up will OVERWRITE your large image with your small one. As you're unlikely to EVER need the small one again (remember, you've already saved a copy of the small one by following the instructions above), you probably don't want to say "okay" to that dialogue box. You'll almost certainly wanna say "no".

Note that I've put instructions for the thumbnails first and the large size last. This is because I think the thumbnails are harder to do and deserve special mention first. In practice, though, once you get comfortable with the method, you'll probably learn to do the large size first and then do the thumbnails. It saves a little bit of time to do large first, then small--only because once you've made something small you'll probably have to think a second on how to get the large size back.

You do it by pressing CTRL-Z, or going under the EDIT menu and finding UNDO. If pressing CTRL-Z fails, however, you may have to STEP BACKWARD instead of simply UNDOING. I believe the shortcut for that is SHIFT-CTRL-Z. Mac Users: "Undo" doesn't appear to exist on the drop down menu. But it does exist as a shortcut: COMMAND (or what long-time Mac Users would call OPEN APPLE)-Z. Whichever platform you use, the point is that UNDO works a little differently in all versions of PS or PSE than it does elsewhere. In Word, for example, you're used to CTRL-Z taking you progressively back through the many changes you might have made in a document. In PS or PSE, though, it only takes away the very LAST change you made. If you want to go further back you need to STEP BACKWARD in PS and PSE. For this reason, the Mac version, at least, completely ignores UNDO in its drop down menus, preferencing STEP BACKWARD, instead.

A special note for those hand-scanning their covers:
Do not scan at a resolution higher than 96dpi, and I wouldn't say you really need anything greater than 72dpi. Remember, the point here isn't to make something that you can print out perfectly later. Rather, it's merely to give something that looks good on a computer monitor. Scanning with a higher resolution than a monitor requires for the proper display of an image will make it harder to get an image to fit within our size requirements. It can be done, of course, but you have to work a little harder to do it, and for no visually appreciable "gain".

Hope that was helpful...let us know if you need anything else :)
Last edited by DarthSkeptical on Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

8man

Postby 8man » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:33 pm

Thank you so much for your very detailed instructions. I did everything you described and even tweaked things a bit to force it to work, but every single time I tried to upload a cover to your site, I got the same message: "MUST NOT BE EMPTY". What does THAT mean?

My computer has some sinister gremlins in it. That's the only explanation I can think of when everyone and their mother can easily submit great cover scans and I can't! Even with such a clear, concise tutorial as you gave me!

I give up!

Abe

DarthSkeptical

Postby DarthSkeptical » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:13 pm

Ahhh, yes. This is a simple fix. It probably means that you were only putting in a LARGE cover. Currently, you can't just enter a large cover. You have to actually put in a small one and a big one simultaneously, or you will get the error you described. (You can just put in a small cover by itself--but please don't. It's a real pain to figure out, after a thumbnail has been entered, whether a large cover exists. If you get in the habit of putting in a large and a small on EVERY issue, there's much less clean-up that has to be done later.)

Since you seem to be having some particular problems, it would help us diagnose your problems if you made up an issue (call it "8man's test", or somesuch), and then try to upload covers only to it. That way, Chris will be able to very easily track your progress and offer you specific suggestions on what you're doing wrong.

Don't give up, you're really close :)

8man

Postby 8man » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:02 am

Holy crapazoids! It finally worked!! Why didn't anyone tell me this in the FIRST place?! Thank you so much Darth. You have been an incredible help and service to me! Now I can finally put up my collection and know I'll have the right cover scan should one not be found on the site or anywhere else. If you care to see, I have added the first issue of Marshall Law (1987) into the database. It still could be better like some of the others in the database, but hey, it's my first one and it's cool for now! Please tell me what you think and what I can do to improve quality of future scans. Thanks again Darth!

Abe

Chris
Cosmic Donor
Cosmic Donor

Postby Chris » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:25 am

Looks good :)

Out of curiosity, does the issue say who the inker or colorist are?

8man

Postby 8man » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:45 am

From what I gathered, my submission of Marshal Law is the only one in the database. It's has the sub-tilte "Stars and Strippers". I have included: WRITER, PENCILLER, LETTERER, EDITOR and COVER ARTIST, but no inker or colorist. It was put up haphazardly as a test. Why do you ask?

I promise - now that you've helped me hone my skills, so to speak, I will be more thorough with future submissions!

Chris
Cosmic Donor
Cosmic Donor

Postby Chris » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:35 am

That's the same one that I was looking at. I ask because they weren't listed so I was checking to see if it was because they aren't listed in the book (which has been known to happen) or if it was because you hadn't put them in. No worries ;)

Roger Langridge

Postby Roger Langridge » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:12 am

I'll go and fix this when I'm back at my regular computer (can't seem to do creator credits on OS 9) unless somebody beats me to it, but the inker and colourist on Marshall Law is Kevin O'Neill. Pretty sure that's the case right through the series.

BullyDawg

Postby BullyDawg » Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:38 am

Yikes,

I've been uploading a ton of thumbnail covers without the larger cover. I can go back and start putting the full size version in.

Sorry, I thought I was helping out. Hope it hasn't made too much of a mess.

BD

Edit: I will begin to correct this ASAP. Sorry!

Geeksmith

Postby Geeksmith » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:25 am

Okay, my troubles seem really bizarre. I'm trying to upload both the small and the large image. As far as I can tell, both images fit the criteria. The small is 100 pixels wide and under 20k. But when I hit submit it comes back saying:
Thumbnail (100 pixel width - no more, no less):

File cannot be larger than 20KB

My big cover is under 100k. What's up?

Next

Return to Site Support