A new (brilliant) idea

Moderators: DarthSkeptical, Fnord Serious, Chris, spid, Skyhawke, Darth Kramer, mikebo

Chris
Cosmic Donor
Cosmic Donor

A new (brilliant) idea

Postby Chris » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:31 pm

One of our fantastic admins, Skyhawke, has had a brilliant idea on where we can go with the site and thus I present it to you all.

The Comics Now! project was so successful for us in fleshing out Nova, Crisis on Infinite Earths and Infinite Crisis, that we are going to use the same idea again, but for the site itself (instead, or in addition to, the magazine). Each month, we'll pick 3 or 4 titles to focus on and work on adding characters, story arcs, group appearances, etc. Once the month is complete, we can move onto the next batch.

This is a great idea because as we continue to grow, fewer and fewer people have issues to contribute to the site. But there's still a TON of information for existing issues that still needs to be added. We've all got issues or collections of, for instance, Watchmen. And all of the issues are in the database. But we don't have issue synopses, full character appearances, etc. This is the information that will truly make this site valuable not only to us as regular users of the site, but to new visitors who can become regulars like us :)

So, for those of you interested in delving deeper into the database and really building it out, what titles should we start with? Let's pick some that have finished their run (limited series, cancelled ongoing series, etc.) and something that doesn't have hundreds of issues (it is only for a month after all).

Any suggestions?

Skyhawke

Postby Skyhawke » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:08 pm

My recommendation would be some of the following

Kingdom Come
Marvel Two-In-One
Booster Gold
Blue Beetle
Marvel Team-Up
Watchmen
The New Gods
Marvels
Secret Wars

Dann

Postby Dann » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:41 pm

As the title says, brilliant idea. It does seem that the site has covered an amazing breath of data, but the depth certainly needs attention. A lot just have the minimum data, but this can cause many people to pass it buy since it's not obvious what actually needs to be added.

I will certainly help out with my meager collection if I can. I'm primarily an X-men guy, but I'm working on completing as much of that as I can for my own collection, so that is what I'll be able to help out with. FYI

Merrik

Postby Merrik » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:57 pm

I'm up for helping out in anyway I can. It would actually be nice to have a "set" group to work on. I was working my way through my collection, but it got a little tedious and I gave up before I even finished the a's. :P

If I have whatever's selected, I'll do what I can!

Darth Kramer

Postby Darth Kramer » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:37 am

One of the titles that I think could use some beefing up and is by far one of the most popular titles on the site, is Batman. There are many, many issues that only have "Batman" as a character listed and don't have a synopsis.

Personally, I'm going to try and make some of the early Legion of Super-Heroes appearances a pet project as I'm currently on a huge LoSH kick.

But this was an excellent idea!!!

spid

Postby spid » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:01 pm

I would suggest the Titans be on the list. There are a lot of issues without synopsis and character listings. Also the reprints that many can find in the dollar box are not updated.

Chris
Cosmic Donor
Cosmic Donor

Postby Chris » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:09 pm

Ok, it's the start of the month, so we'll give this a try. Our choices to focus on this month are:

- The New Mutants (1983)
- The New Teen Titans (1984) (and The New Titans (1988) if that gets done quickly)
- Watchmen (1986)
- Marvel Super-Heroes Secret Wars (1984) (and Secret Wars II (1985) if that gets done quickly)

I picked two from Marvel, two from DC. One title from each company has a small number of issues while the other has a bit more. I'm definitely interested to see how this goes because I think that if we can really get into this, it will greatly benefit the site :)

Merrik

Postby Merrik » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:20 pm

Cool. I just picked up a whole buttload of New Teen Titans issues the other day.

I was already going through and improving The New Teen Titans (1980) a little bit already, so I'll check it out and if there's anything I can help with, I'll be more than happy to.

Dann

Postby Dann » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:43 pm

Sounds good, I have all the New Mutants and Annuals/Special, so I can start on that.

Calib@n
Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor

Postby Calib@n » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:37 pm

It's august, how did we do?

Calib@n
Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor

Postby Calib@n » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:38 pm

guess we didn't do that well then?

Skyhawke

Postby Skyhawke » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:50 pm

Not really, everyone kinda of went their own way with what they wanted to fill out for titles. We'll try again later.

Skyhawke

Luke Cage

Postby Skyhawke » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:35 pm

:!: Ok the next project we need to work on is Luke Cage, the character, Heroes for Hire titles, and any tie-ins he had in Marvel Comics. :!:

ironfist

Postby ironfist » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:48 am

I can start contributing to the few series in my collection where I have every single issue (e.g. Silver Surfer Vol. 1/2/3, X-Factor Vol. 1/2 etc.)

Unfortunately this will be increasingly hard for golden and silver age comics. It would take one amazing collection for someone to database the first Captain America Series or Tales of Suspense. It would be AWESOME if we can somehow pull it off. I'm sure someone out there can make a good dent writing a synopsis, story arc or character timeline for these series

Fnord Serious
ComicBookDB.com Admin

Re: Luke Cage

Postby Fnord Serious » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:07 am

Skyhawke wrote::!: Ok the next project we need to work on is Luke Cage, the character, Heroes for Hire titles, and any tie-ins he had in Marvel Comics. :!:

What kind of deadline are we shooting for? I can enter data for the handful of issues I have from the early 90's Cage run, the first Essential and some New Avengers issues, but that's about all the Luke Cage material in my collection.

Next

Return to General Discussion