Kitchen Sink Comix

For any questions/comments/suggestions regarding using and/or contributing to ComicBookDB.com

Moderators: DarthSkeptical, Fnord Serious, Chris, spid, Skyhawke, Darth Kramer, mikebo

liquid_television

Kitchen Sink Comix

Postby liquid_television » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:46 pm

Hi there,

in my publisher report I found these three entries.

Kitchen Sink Comix: 5
Kitchen Sink Enterprizes: 4
Kitchen Sink Press: 4

Just wondering if these are actually different publisher or just different names for the same company.
I don't believe these are imprints!?!? Maybe someone can verify this and correct it if necessary.

Thanks

EarthFurst

Krupp and KS Comix/Press/Enterprizes (Re: Kitchen Sink Comix

Postby EarthFurst » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:33 am

In addition there is
http://www.comicbookdb.com/publisher.php?ID=1364 "Krupp Comics Works"

"Titles:
Total: 7
Corporate Crime (1977)
Corporate Crime Comics (1979)
Crystal Night (1980)
Death Rattle (1972)
Deep 3D Comix (2011)
Dutch Treat (1977)
Fear and Laughter (1977)"

note: I don't have any of these issues, so most info is from comicbookdb pages.

"Corporate Crime (1977)" title has "Publisher: Kitchen Sink Enterprizes",
but the single issue in the series has "Krupp Comics Works" in Publisher field. (Logo on cover seem to say "Kitchen Sink Enterprizes")

"Corporate Crime Comics (1979)" title has "Publisher: Kitchen Sink Enterprizes",
but the single issue in the series has "Krupp Comics Works" in Publisher field. Logo on cover says "Kitchen Sink Enterprise" (ie. dictionary spelling of Enterprise)

"Crystal Night (1980)" title has "Publisher: Kitchen Sink Enterprizes",
but the single issue in the series has "Krupp Comics Works" in Publisher field. Logo on cover seems to say "Kitchen Sink Enterprise" (ie. dictionary spelling of Enterprise)

"Death Rattle (1972)" title has "Publisher: Kitchen Sink Enterprizes",
but the issues in the series has "Krupp Comics Works" in Publisher field. (Logos on covers seem to say "Kitchen Sink Enterprise")

Interesting, later series "Death Rattle (1985)" and Death Rattle (1995) has "Kitchen Sink COMIX" logo on covers (although don't see logo on Death Rattle (1985) - #11).
Ie. KS Enterprise for 1972 series, but KS Comix for two later series.
Ie. KS Enterprise probably became KS Comix.

(Possible error: Comicbookdb has "Kitchen Sink Press" in Publisher field for issues in 1985 series, but logos on cover say Kitchen Sink COMIX.)

No cover scans for "Deep 3D Comix (2011) " series.
PROBABLY wrong year because comics.org has 1970 series "Deep 3D Comix"
(Logo on cover at comics.org seems to say "Kitchen Sink Enterprises")

"Dutch Treat (1977)" title has
"Publisher: Krupp Comics Works"
"Imprint: Kitchen Sink COMIX"
(Logo on cover scan just says "Kitchen Sink.)

"Fear and Laughter 1977 title" has
"Publisher: Krupp Comics Works"
"Imprint: Kitchen Sink PRESS"
No cover scans for "Fear and Laughter (1977)" series.
Last edited by EarthFurst on Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:11 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Still trying to learn the ways of the ComicBookDB. http://en.wikifur.com/wiki/List_of_upcoming_comics

Soda

Re: Kitchen Sink Comix

Postby Soda » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:55 am

liquid_television wrote:Just wondering if these are actually different publisher or just different names for the same company.
I don't believe these are imprints!?!? Maybe someone can verify this and correct it if necessary.

I know them only as "Kitchen Sink Press" but it's not unsual that publishers change their name (I'm looking at YOU, Marvel!). Like "Caliber Comics" and "Caliber Press" or whatever it was called.

Also notorious for this was German publisher Condor who had a lot of name changes as well as some imprints. Which is why I created only "Condor Verlag" as the publisher and added the rest as imprints.
And it's not like we have different entries for each time when Marvel changed its name in the last few years (Marvel Worldwide, Marvel Characters Inc. and whatnot) because in the strictest sense "Marvel Comics" IS an imprint and the others would be the actual name of the publisher which would make for a lot of headaches and "real" imprints such as "EPIC", "MAX", "Marvel Knights" couldn't be added anymore.

mikebo

Postby mikebo » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:55 pm

Kitchen Sink's cover logos often didn't match the stated publisher in the indicia as well. This occurs with a number of publishers. Caliber, Eclipse, Malibu and Kitchen Sink are notorious on this issue. Malibu is another mess entirely since "Malibu Comics" is actually an imprint of "Malibu Graphics". MG has a bunch of imprints. I've been slowly chipping away at correcting those issues over the past few months. I haven't been able to figure out when Kitchen Sink changed its name. I suspect the cover logos may have gone back and forth between the various brands at times too.

Some of Marvel's black & white magazines of the 1970s don't have any mention of "Marvel" upon them, instead being published by their then parent company, Magazine Management Co. or another imprint, Curtis Magazines. In these rare cases we have Magazine Management Co. as an imprint of Marvel, despite it being the other way around.

I've been meaning to add some more links in publisher notes to their various aliases like I did with Eclipse:
http://www.comicbookdb.com/publisher.php?ID=3244

A few years ago, I seem to recall coming across an issue of some Caliber published title which had two different indicias. One in the front of the comic, and one in the rear. Each stated a different Caliber alias as the publisher. And the cover logo was a third name to boot. That may have been the result of a feverish, ComicBookDB.com induced nightmare however.

aaronmoish

Postby aaronmoish » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:12 pm

DC Comics was, historically, an imprint until 1977, as well (I've added this info to DC's publisher page):

• National Allied Publications published New Fun/More Fun Comics and New Comics/New Adventure Comics
• Detective Comics, Inc. published Detective Comics and Action Comics
• National Allied Publications and Detective Comics, Inc. merged before 1940 to become National Comics
• National Comics and All-American Comics began to use DC as an imprint on their covers dated April 1940
• All-American Publications stopped using the DC imprint from February 1945 to December 1945
• All-American Publications was absorbed into National Comics in January 1946, forming National Periodical Publications
• National Periodical Publications officially became DC in February 1977.

Soda

Postby Soda » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:03 pm

If we are at it then I might want to throw in CrossGen Comics which actually is an imprint ofCrossGeneration Comics (which later changed its name to CrossGen Intellectual Properties). It's also an imprint of Marvel now.
I wanted to change it but I'm not editing some 300 issues and risk getting banned by the database security system again.

nighatwasim88

Postby nighatwasim88 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:24 am

aaronmoish wrote:DC Comics was, historically, an imprint until 1977, as well (I've added this info to DC's publisher page):

• National Allied Publications published New Fun/More Fun Comics and New Comics/New Adventure Comics
• Detective Comics, Inc. published Detective Comics and Action Comics
• National Allied Publications and Detective Comics, Inc. merged before 1940 to become National Comics
• National Comics and All-American Comics began to use DC as an imprint on their covers dated April 1940
• All-American Publications stopped using the DC imprint from February 1945 to December 1945
• All-American Publications was absorbed into National Comics in January 1946, forming National Periodical Publications
• National Periodical Publications officially became DC in February 1977.

this is a tremendous job you doing nice post i like it. 8)

Return to Site Support