Problem adding new characters

For any questions/comments/suggestions regarding using and/or contributing to ComicBookDB.com

Moderators: DarthSkeptical, Fnord Serious, Chris, spid, Skyhawke, Darth Kramer, mikebo

bowman

Problem adding new characters

Postby bowman » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:40 am

I've been editing the record for Athena Voltaire (during my first use of this databae) and am running into a problem. I'm trying to add characters to the two stories. I add the character, get the confirmation page, but then the character isn't listed. Any tips?

Chris
Cosmic Donor
Cosmic Donor

Postby Chris » Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:35 am

Can you tell me what character you are trying to add and to which story in the issue? I just added (and removed) a test character and had no problem. I'd like to replicate your situation to see what's going on.

bowman

Postby bowman » Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:28 am

Chris wrote:Can you tell me what character you are trying to add and to which story in the issue? I just added (and removed) a test character and had no problem. I'd like to replicate your situation to see what's going on.

I was trying to add Athena Voltaire to the first story. I'm using Safari, if that makes a difference.

Chris
Cosmic Donor
Cosmic Donor

Postby Chris » Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:31 am

Well, two things - the first is that I don't have Safari, so I can't say for sure that it works. Darthskeptical may be able to shed some light on this as he has a Mac. Second, I tried to do the same as you, but I can't find Athena Voltaire entered in as a character in the system... am I missing something?

bowman

Postby bowman » Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:54 am

Chris wrote:Well, two things - the first is that I don't have Safari, so I can't say for sure that it works. Darthskeptical may be able to shed some light on this as he has a Mac. Second, I tried to do the same as you, but I can't find Athena Voltaire entered in as a character in the system... am I missing something?

AV isn't in the system. Is there a first step to get her in to the system?

Chris
Cosmic Donor
Cosmic Donor

Postby Chris » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:06 am

Ah yes, this may be the issue. You can only add characters to an issue or story if they are already in the system to choose from. At the top of each page is a link that says, "Add New Content". Once there, you can add any number of things, one of which is a new character. Try that out and see if the problems persist.

Keep me updated on how it goes :)

bowman

Postby bowman » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:55 am

It worked! Thanks.

I'm finding this a great collection resource. It helps that all (or most) of the information I'd want is already there, and it's fun looking through the issues to find the missing information.

IndieRockLance

Postby IndieRockLance » Thu May 18, 2006 8:30 pm

There's another problem with the new character adding system. It seems that whenever you add a character with another alias, it instead adds the first connected alias character instead of the one that you're attempting to add. For instance, I'm trying to add "Cassandra Cain" to Robin #150 and it keeps adding "Batgirl (IV - Cassandra Cain)." Which isn't correct because she's not Batgirl anymore. Same thing happens with Donna Troy and Wonder Girl (I - Donna Troy).

Darth Kramer

Postby Darth Kramer » Fri May 19, 2006 12:03 am

IndieRockLance wrote:There's another problem with the new character adding system. It seems that whenever you add a character with another alias, it instead adds the first connected alias character instead of the one that you're attempting to add. For instance, I'm trying to add "Cassandra Cain" to Robin #150 and it keeps adding "Batgirl (IV - Cassandra Cain)." Which isn't correct because she's not Batgirl anymore. Same thing happens with Donna Troy and Wonder Girl (I - Donna Troy).

This happens with any character where the civilian identity is separate from another identity. I've experienced the biggest problem with it from Carol Ferris and Star Sapphire I. One temporary way around it is to add a space after one of the names, either civilian or otherwise. The DB will read these as different characters then. I had told Chris about this a while ago, not sure if it's an easy fix or not, but in the meantime, a simple space fixes things.

Return to Site Support