Programmatic access to data

For any questions/comments/suggestions regarding using and/or contributing to ComicBookDB.com

Moderators: DarthSkeptical, Fnord Serious, Chris, spid, Skyhawke, Darth Kramer, mikebo

nachtkriecher

Programmatic access to data

Postby nachtkriecher » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:15 pm

Is there any way I can get programmatic access to the data from the database? Perhaps through a web service? Or just a certain URL that I can use to get individual bits of data?

spid

Re: Programmatic access to data

Postby spid » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:24 am

Chris will have the ultimate say in this, but the standard answer has been there are no plans to open up an api or webservice to Comic Book DB data. This may have changed, but more then likely the answer is not at this time.

Chris
Cosmic Donor
Cosmic Donor

Postby Chris » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:47 pm

Still no plans on an API.

dfjkl
Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor

Postby dfjkl » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:43 am

Figure this might be worth a bump. It would be great to see an API on this site.

bean

Postby bean » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:29 pm

Did anyone read a thread anywhere where Chris has stated why he is opposed to writing, or having someone write, an API for comicbookdb? Increased traffic means increased hosting fees. Maybe that's Chris' reason.

Recorded Issues
  • Grand Comics Database: 1,257,285
  • Comicvine: 471,384
  • Comicbookdb: 346,624

Comics.org is a non-profit, it is under continual development and already has an API, but its development is slow.

Comicvine has a full feature API, but does not support multiple language variants per issue. It was recently acquired by GameSpot when CBS bought GameSpot.

Comicbookdb has not undergone significant change since Chris finished coding this as a hobby project years ago. It lacks an API making it useful only for web based users utilizing the search field. It has the smallest collection of recorded issues and does not support multiple languages per record.

Introducing multiple language variants of each record, like the system seen at themoviedb.com, would immediately make this site more flexible than its two larger competitors. Adding an API would allow the data to be accessed by comic scrapers and eBook readers: increasing this sites' user base and incentivizing users to add data here instead of elsewhere.

Perhaps my words are flying in to the ether. I have gotten the feeling over many years that there is no ambition to make this site more than a casual dump for cursory information on comic books. I hope not.

Return to “Site Support”