malware

For any questions/comments/suggestions regarding using and/or contributing to ComicBookDB.com

Moderators: DarthSkeptical, Fnord Serious, Chris, spid, Skyhawke, Darth Kramer, mikebo

Johnny Darkness

malware

Postby Johnny Darkness » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:19 am

i'm trying to catalogue a big pile of comics but it's hard cuz malware keeps redirecting me to download stuff.

Johnny Darkness

Re: malware

Postby Johnny Darkness » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:33 am

This really sucks.

Soda

Postby Soda » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:09 am

Are you using IE? I had so switch to Opera a few months ago due to this a, because every few clicks my anti-virus software would detect a threat in the ads (which can be blocked out with Opera and Firefox which I'm also using).

dpeattie

Postby dpeattie » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:12 pm

I don't suppose it occurs to anyone that maybe the site's moderators should step in and halt the malware? If it's coming from one or more of the ads, maybe contact the people who placed the ads and tell them the ads are being removed and that they're not entitled to a refund because they posted malicious content onto the site? Things like that?

I myself have run into that situation several times over the last few days while using the site for a research project of my own, and each time my Windows Defender catches it, I have to reboot the system to completely get rid of it. Needless to say, that's a major pain, and as far as I'm concerned, it makes the site completely unusable for hours at a time until the latest outbreak is apparently resolved. So it seems to me that the moderators really need to get on top of this and put a complete stop to it, and fast.

spid

Postby spid » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:52 pm

I PM'd Chris about this issue.

Johnny Darkness

Postby Johnny Darkness » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:34 pm

At the Complete Marvel Reading Order, malware ads like that are removed as soon as someone mentions it. It's nice.

Johnny Darkness

Postby Johnny Darkness » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:34 pm

Also I was using Firefox

Chris
Cosmic Donor
Cosmic Donor

Postby Chris » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:51 pm

This is the first I'm hearing of this. When it happens, do you know what ads are being displayed?

Chris
Cosmic Donor
Cosmic Donor

Postby Chris » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:50 am

After I posted that, I e-mailed our contact at the ad network and after they looked into it, acknowledged that some bad ads had gotten into the mix. They believe it has been rectified, but if you see anything, let me know (ideally with the ad that triggered it) and I will pass it along.

This is the statement they sent out:
Over the weekend sovrn recognized an outbreak of an existing advertising malware exploit affecting ad buyers industry-wide, resulting in the delivery of ads redirecting to a pop-up ad indicating a users' Java version was out of date, which when clicked would install malware on the user's system. Unfortunately, these types of ads have a way of entering the global online advertising market from time to time, and we apologize for any issues these may have caused to you and your readers. At this time, our advisories indicate that the malicious ads are no longer being delivered to any users.

sovrn is at the forefront of the community of companies working to ensure that your online ads are free from hacks, fraud and other attempts to hijack the system we share. We partner with leading fraud-prevention firms to catch all varieties of malicious ad traffic as quickly as we can and whenever possible to block it in advance. When these types of exploits flare and can not be caught in advance, we work proactively with our buyers and agencies to ensure that this type of creative is not delivered to our publisher partners. Again on behalf of all our buyers, agency and advertising partners we regret this industry-wide issue affected some of you over the last few days.

Return to “Site Support”