Assistant Editors, Editors-in-Chief

For any questions/comments/suggestions regarding using and/or contributing to ComicBookDB.com

Moderators: DarthSkeptical, Fnord Serious, Chris, spid, Skyhawke, Darth Kramer, mikebo

Rocketgoat

Assistant Editors, Editors-in-Chief

Postby Rocketgoat » Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:28 am

If listed in the comic's credits as Assistant Editor or Editor-in-Chief, should someone be listed as an Editor?

Personally, I list Editors and Assistant Editors, leaving out Editors-in-Chief.

Chris
Cosmic Donor
Cosmic Donor

Postby Chris » Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:07 pm

I list assistant editors, editors and editors-in-chief, myself. I know others have only listed editors.

IndieRockLance

Re: Assistant Editors, Editors-in-Chief

Postby IndieRockLance » Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:37 am

Rocketgoat wrote:If listed in the comic's credits as Assistant Editor or Editor-in-Chief, should someone be listed as an Editor?

Personally, I list Editors and Assistant Editors, leaving out Editors-in-Chief.

I do the same. I also include the associate editor if one is listed and, for collected editions, include all of the above plus the collected edition editor.

WOLVERINE25TH

Postby WOLVERINE25TH » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:43 pm

What about somethin' weird like Art Director?
--WOLVERINE

FlameHead

Postby FlameHead » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:07 pm

I've been adding all the editors personally. IMHO, I think that's for the best if there is no field for the others. They should be credited somehow.

Chris
Cosmic Donor
Cosmic Donor

Postby Chris » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:43 pm

FlameHead wrote:I've been adding all the editors personally. IMHO, I think that's for the best if there is no field for the others. They should be credited somehow.

I agree. There are so many freaking editors these days - editors, editors-in-chief, assistant editors, associate editors, managing editors, collection editors, etc. There's just too many different variations. I just group them into the editor category.

spid

Postby spid » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:01 pm

I'm one of those that do not put in the Editor in Chief. I feel only the editors who have a hand in the issue creation should be added. The editor in chief guides the overall direction of a publisher, but probably doesn't have a hand in each individual issue. That is my two cents.

FlameHead

Postby FlameHead » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:27 pm

Without the EIC, there probably wouldn't be a project. You need that head figure to reign in all the bodies to ensure they're on track and all working together. It's like having an army without a general kinda thing.

To say that the EIC has no hand in the process is rather silly thinking, in my opinion.

Darth Kramer

Postby Darth Kramer » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:44 pm

Personally speaking, I don't include the EIC for the same reason I don't include a publisher; they likely had no direct role with the individual issue, but because they are EIC/Publisher, they have the right of having their name in every book.

DarthSkeptical

Postby DarthSkeptical » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:28 am

I generally don't include the EIC, but I will if research shows them to have been in some way directly influential. For instance, Hugh Hefner was deeply involved with the whole <i>Little Annie Fanny</i> project in <i>Playboy</i>, so he deserves credit there, I think.

Fnord Serious
ComicBookDB.com Admin

Postby Fnord Serious » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:39 am

I'm up in the air on the EIC thing. I think it's a good thing in the long run to see what books were being made under which EICs reign. Damn. That means one more name to add... :D

DarthSkeptical

Postby DarthSkeptical » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:40 am

It may be a sufficient bit of scholarship to note the "reigns" of EICs in the publisher's info. It really would become a task of mind-numbing boredom to add EICs to each and every issue, when, really, most people just want a snapshot on the esoteric stuff like this.

It's almost certainly a good idea to include date-ranges of their stints as EIC within the individual editors' bios.

spid

Postby spid » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:23 pm

Here is a thought on where to place the EIC. It might be easier to put the EIC information in the Publisher entry. So in Marvel you would see Stan Lee was EIC from 1962 to whenever.

Return to Site Support