DIFFERENT CREATOR, SAME NAME

For any questions/comments/suggestions regarding using and/or contributing to ComicBookDB.com

Moderators: DarthSkeptical, Fnord Serious, Chris, spid, Skyhawke, Darth Kramer, mikebo

WOLVERINE25TH

DIFFERENT CREATOR, SAME NAME

Postby WOLVERINE25TH » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:30 am

Okay, I'm adding some new creators to the DB but there's one with the same name as another creator. I click the link provided to indicate this fact, but the link sends me to a dead page. So how do I get this creator added as I'm gonna be adding a comic or two he worked on?
--WOLVERINE

Darth Kramer

Postby Darth Kramer » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:38 pm

Who's the creator you're trying to add?

WOLVERINE25TH

Postby WOLVERINE25TH » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:35 pm

Matt Ryan, he's a CT based cartoonist who released a series of semi-mature comics called Bigger and did a story in the comic I added last night, Psychosis.

www.mattsminestudio.com
www.freelunchcomics.com
--WOLVERINE

Darth Kramer

Postby Darth Kramer » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:44 pm

Yeah, that may present a problem, considering there's no way to distinguish between him and the more mainstream Matt Ryan. If you have any suggestions on how to do so, please let us know!

coppelius

Postby coppelius » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:05 am

You just have to add the creator with a typo, and once it's created, you edit and correct the error. I used this trick while I was adding the many "Judge Dredd" comics...

Darth Kramer

Postby Darth Kramer » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:24 am

coppelius wrote:You just have to add the creator with a typo, and once it's created, you edit and correct the error. I used this trick while I was adding the many "Judge Dredd" comics...

While that is a way around the error, that still doesn't change the fact that there's no clear way to distinguish between these two "Matt Ryan" entries which are absolutely different creators.

WOLVERINE25TH

Postby WOLVERINE25TH » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:47 am

Howabout his picture?

Or maybe develop some kind of indicators to put next to multiple names like IMDB does.
--WOLVERINE

coppelius

Postby coppelius » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:39 am

You could also add "Not to be confused with..." in the "Note" section of both creators.

Darth Kramer

Postby Darth Kramer » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:58 am

coppelius wrote:You could also add "Not to be confused with..." in the "Note" section of both creators.

Yes, that is possible, but how do you distinguish the creators in the drop-down menus?

coppelius

Postby coppelius » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:05 am

Darth Kramer wrote:Yes, that is possible, but how do you distinguish the creators in the drop-down menus?

As proposed by Wolverine, IMDB could be use as a model: A suffix (Matt Ryan II) could be added after the name. The most popular title of the creator could also be used: Matt Ryan (Penciller of Woiverine).

WOLVERINE25TH

Postby WOLVERINE25TH » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:17 pm

Well, I found a way around my problem; my editor gave me the dude's full name which I used and put his credited name as an "also credited as." But this topic should be considered for future problems like this. Lotta repeating names out there, bound to be some in comics.
--WOLVERINE

EarthFurst

Re: DIFFERENT CREATOR, SAME NAME

Postby EarthFurst » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:50 am

There seem to be two Tom Roberts.

There is Tom of tomrobertsstudio.net / http://comicbookdb.com/creator.php?ID=2511

I came across Helpless Anger comics work apparently by another Tom ( http://comics.lib.msu.edu/rri/rrri/robertst.htm )

Emailed tomrobertsstudio.net "Are you the same Tom Roberts who did comics work under the imprint name of Helpless Anger Productions? "
He replied "Most of the work in comics I did was for Milestone, Continuity, DC, Marvel, Malibu and Dark Horse. / The only small company work that I remember doing was for Personality Comics and one other place in Massachusetts whose name escapes me at the moment. / None of it was for the imprint you mentioned."

related: Over at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=285
DarthSkeptical wrote:This is actually a tough one, I think. First of all, it's important to make sure biographies or notes or something is included with each creator. That way the two can be distinguished. Then you have to make it possible to pick them out of a list. In order to keep the name as close to the one with which the artist is most commonly credited, I would say mark one as Mike Thomas (01) and the other as Mike Thomas (02), with the 01 being whichever was born the earlier. ...

I think Helpless Anger was name that Tom selfpublished under (for comics such as Homo Patrol), so not something that tomrobertsstudio.net Tom would have forgotten.

Don't know birthyear of Tom of Helpless Anger, so not sure how to add the Tom of Helpless Anger
(Add as Tom "Helpless Anger" Roberts?)
Tom of tomrobertsstudio.net born in 1965 (according to his website), add birthyear to name?
Last edited by EarthFurst on Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still trying to learn the ways of the ComicBookDB. http://en.wikifur.com/wiki/List_of_upcoming_comics

EarthFurst

Re: DIFFERENT CREATOR, SAME NAME

Postby EarthFurst » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:23 am

Was looking through that MSU webpage (URL above) and noticed
"Roberts, Tom--Death.
"Tom Roberts, Comics Writer, Dies" p. 24 in The Comics Journal, no. 210 (Feb. 1999). -- (News Watch) -- Writer of Homo Patrol, Cultural Jetlag, etc. Died Jan. 5, 1999. -- ..."

Seeing as
1) Helpless Anger Tom died in 1999
and 2) tomrobertsstudio.net Tom replied to my email today (and comicbookdb credits him with seven pieces published after Jan 1999)
there are definitely two different Tom Roberts who have worked in comics.

One example of work by Tom of Helpless Anger : Cultural Jetlag #1, July 1991 [Comic] published by Fantagraphics http://www.amazon.com/Cultural-Jetlag-1 ... 003GM0R84/

Feeling very sad that he's dead. Rest in peace Tom.

EDIT: Have added creator page for Helpless Anger Tom at
http://comicbookdb.com/creator.php?ID=37958 with name of "Tom Roberts (-1999Jan) " (suggestions on better name?)
Still trying to learn the ways of the ComicBookDB. http://en.wikifur.com/wiki/List_of_upcoming_comics

Return to Site Support