Matching Group with Series

For any questions/comments/suggestions regarding using and/or contributing to ComicBookDB.com

Moderators: DarthSkeptical, Fnord Serious, Chris, spid, Skyhawke, Darth Kramer, mikebo

efish4559

Matching Group with Series

Postby efish4559 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:22 am

How do I list a group [Ex. Great Lake Avengers] with a Series in Which they Appear in? [Ex. Great Lake Avengers (2005), GLX-MAS Special (2005)]

Darth Kramer

Postby Darth Kramer » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:39 am

You can't currently, you can only add individual characters.

DarthSkeptical

Postby DarthSkeptical » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:10 am

Though this would be a fabulous future feature...

IndieRockLance

Postby IndieRockLance » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:33 am

DarthSkeptical wrote:Though this would be a fabulous future feature...

Except for the fact that most groups and teams have far more members than appear in a given issue. X-Men, JLA, Avengers and Teen Titans all have had a great deal of members but you'd only see maybe 7 tops in each issue.

Darth Kramer

Postby Darth Kramer » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:54 am

IndieRockLance wrote:
DarthSkeptical wrote:Though this would be a fabulous future feature...

Except for the fact that most groups and teams have far more members than appear in a given issue. X-Men, JLA, Avengers and Teen Titans all have had a great deal of members but you'd only see maybe 7 tops in each issue.

In prior admin conversations, DarthSkeptical had raised a point where perhaps a group could be added, but the characters could be added as well, so if you see Robin, Kid Flash, and Aqualad and then the group listing Teen Titans, you could assume that they appeared under the Teen Titans banner.

DarthSkeptical

Postby DarthSkeptical » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:16 am

Right. I think it's really important, actually. I think it would help out a lot actually if you were trying to use the site to build a full impression of a character to be able to match an appearance of a character with the appearance of a group.

It can help quite a bit to define their role in a particular story. Minor characters in particular would benefit from this the most.

As we enter a steady period of inter-trilogy Star Wars storytelling, for instance, it'll be quite important to note that Jennir, for instance, is appearing not as a member of the Old Jedi Order, but just as himself.

Early appearances of Martian Manhunter—not to mention the current MM solo title—have nothing to do with the Justice League, and I can quite see how people might want to know that a character that's almost always depicted in a group setting is actually not appearing with the group in a particular story.

Spider-Man as a part of the Avengers is a very recent phenomenon, and there have been stories where he's actually opposed Cap's team. It would be cool to see where he's an Avenger and where he's not.

I think there are probably a lot of coding issues to work out here. For instance, I think we'd have to split up "appearances" into several levels. We might have to have "starring", "guest-starring" and "villains""—but I do think it'd be useful and cool, were it practicable.

Return to Site Support