Cloning and Multiple Story Lines

For any questions/comments/suggestions regarding using and/or contributing to ComicBookDB.com

Moderators: DarthSkeptical, Fnord Serious, Chris, spid, Skyhawke, Darth Kramer, mikebo

Alt.Ego

Cloning and Multiple Story Lines

Postby Alt.Ego » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:55 pm

Ok, it may be rare, but Anthology Titles - Like Dark Horse Presents sometimes followed the same multiple-story lines from 1 issue to the next: Hellboy Part 1; Sin City Part x; etc. When cloning an issue - are the multiple story lines *not* supposed to clone along with the other details? I found myself having to manually enter details of the multiple story lines. If there were a quicker way, that would be great.

DarthSkeptical

Postby DarthSkeptical » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:18 am

This is a kinda "damned if ya do, damned if ya don't" situation. If the code automatically brought all the story information from one issue to its new clone, that'd be great—in the situations you outline. However, many (if not most) comics aren't like this. <i>Superman</I> #1 doesn't have the same creator/story lineup as <i>Superman</I> #2. So if it did copy the individual story information over, you'd have to painstakingly delete whatever <i>didn't</I> carry over from one issue to the next.

Since, on balance, there are probably more things <i>dissimilar</i> between issues, Chris has set it up so that you have to intentionally put in each and every storyline. Now, to help, he has made it so that you can clone characters and creators at the story level. So you can clone from part one in issue #127 to part two in issue #128, but you've got to at least add a blank story to issue 128 for that to be possible.

Chris
Cosmic Donor
Cosmic Donor

Postby Chris » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:21 pm

DarthSkeptical has nailed it on the head. As a rule, we prefer incomplete info to wrong info (though we hate incomplete info too ;) ). So we would rather not have a situation where we're automatically plugging the wrong data into a story right off the bat.

Return to Site Support