TPB separate or in title?

For any questions/comments/suggestions regarding using and/or contributing to ComicBookDB.com

Moderators: DarthSkeptical, Fnord Serious, Chris, spid, Skyhawke, Darth Kramer, mikebo

randin
Silver Donor
Silver Donor

TPB separate or in title?

Postby randin » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:57 pm

Hi,
I am uncertain as to how TPB should be entered. A case in point are the titles for Batman - "A lonely place of dying" and "A death in the family".
The first has been given a title listing of its own while the second is listed under the "Batman (1940)" title.
Which is the correct way to go about this?
Thanks

Darth Kramer

Postby Darth Kramer » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:34 am

Please consult the following guide:

http://www.comicbookdb.com/help_TPB.php

Since Batman: A Lonely Place of Dying contains issues outside of the parent title "Batman", it is given it's own title. Since A Death in the Family is wholly contained within Batman, the TPB is listed under the parent title. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask!

randin
Silver Donor
Silver Donor

Postby randin » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:44 am

Cool - thanks

DarthSkeptical

Postby DarthSkeptical » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:25 am

Indeed, DK's style guide is of immense value. I would only note as an addendum that there may be occasion on which you might step outside his guidelines, but they are very rare. In my own case, I know I have not quite followed his guidelines with the <i>Star Wars: Clone Wars</i> series. The overwhelming majority of the material collected in these trades comes from <i>Star Wars/Star Wars: Republic</i>, so I placed all the trades within that title. However, the trades do use material from <i>Star Wars: Jedi</i> and <i>Star Wars: Obsession</i>.

Thus I made a "dummy" title called <i>Star Wars: Clone Wars</i> in which I pointed back to <i>Republic</i>. Then I had it locked off by an admin. Thus, when some one searches for "Clone Wars", they'll still find the title and a note of where to go look. Then, I immediately added the issues collected to the entries for each trade. When you click on any one of the issues in <i>Clone Wars</i> trades, it automatically provides a link to the trade.

Doing all this does take a little more work, but now all bases are covered. If a person is looking at an individual issue, they have a link to the trade. If they're looking at the issue list at <i>Republic</i>, they can easily see the trades within the list. And if they search for the series, <i>Star Wars: Clone Wars</i>, they have a note telling them where to look. So no matter where an individual user thinks an individual volume of <i>Star Wars: Clone Wars</i> should be, they have breadcrumbs that'll lead them in the right direction.

Luckily, most titles have the decency to give their titles the same name, so you won't have too many issues with this (<i>Manhunter</I> is collected in <i>Manhunter</i> TPBs, for instance).

Return to Site Support