Feature Request: Easier Collection Entry

For any questions/comments/suggestions regarding using and/or contributing to ComicBookDB.com

Moderators: DarthSkeptical, Fnord Serious, Chris, spid, Skyhawke, Darth Kramer, mikebo

codepath

Feature Request: Easier Collection Entry

Postby codepath » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:40 am

What do you think about this?

Add a checkbox next to each issue on the "title.php" page. Then, add two buttons (one adds checked issues to your collection and the other adds them to your wish list).

Or, have a TextBox to enter an issue run (1-12,15,23-47) for a title that adds to your collection or wishlist.

Please consider this as having to actually pull up the issue detail page for each issue in my collection will cause me grow a long, white, beard. (Not to mention every issue that I don't have for the wishlist.)

Anyone else like one of these ideas?

Thanks,

codepath[/list]

Chris
Cosmic Donor
Cosmic Donor

Postby Chris » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:29 am

We've had a few requests for checkboxes to add to collections, but it's something we've avoided due to the fact that the site's purpose isn't only for collecting - that's merely an added bonus. The primary function of the site is as a reference tool and checkboxes don't contribute to that.

That said, I know how much of a pain it would be to have to enter a few hundred comics of the same title, one at a time. So, if you go to the bottom of any title page, there will be a link that say (something to the effect of), "Add a run of issues from this title to your collection" and another for wishlists. While it doesn't help as much when you only have issues here and there, it should accomodate any titles for which you have a series of issues.

codepath

Postby codepath » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:05 pm

Thanks. That does help a lot. Don't know how I missed that.

But, what about the second concept (being able to enter 1-12,15,23-47)?

It wouldn't be difficult to add a textbox and split the value on the comma into an array and add them to the collection/wishlist.

codepath

Heath

Postby Heath » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:34 pm

I use the "Add a run of issues" feature quite frequently - even for odd issues here and there. First, I make sure all the issues I have are actually in the database - if not, I add them. Then, I click the "Add a run of issues..." link. When I have holes in runs, there are two ways I deal with it.

If the hole is small, only a couple issues or so, I'll go ahead and include them in the run, then "View that title in my collection" and remove the issues I don't have.

If I have a lot of holes, or I have one issue in an othewise large hole, I'll add a "run" of one issue. Setting the starting and ending number for the "run" to the same issue number will add just that issue.

After adding a run, or a single issue, just click the back button to go back to the form, and enter the new issue (or issues). If you're happy with the default details, it's a lot faster than bringing up the details page of each issue and adding it to your collection or wish list.

Fnord Serious
ComicBookDB.com Admin

Postby Fnord Serious » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:58 pm

Related new feature suggestion:

After adding a single issue to my collection, I have often wished for a "View this Title" link rather than having to click "View this Issue" and then click through to the title. Not anything that I can't live with, but it would make it more convenient when adding several non-consecutive single issues.

Heath

Postby Heath » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:39 pm

I'll second that!!

lordscarlet

Postby lordscarlet » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:12 pm

Fnord Serious wrote:Related new feature suggestion:

After adding a single issue to my collection, I have often wished for a "View this Title" link rather than having to click "View this Issue" and then click through to the title. Not anything that I can't live with, but it would make it more convenient when adding several non-consecutive single issues.

I think this applies to viewing your existing collection as well.

Return to Site Support