Difference between creators

For any questions/comments/suggestions regarding using and/or contributing to ComicBookDB.com

Moderators: DarthSkeptical, Fnord Serious, Chris, spid, Skyhawke, Darth Kramer, mikebo

Dreamseeker

Difference between creators

Postby Dreamseeker » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:25 pm

Hello all,

I'm a little confused by the different types:

I understand writer, editor and cover artist

But Letterer, Penciller, Colorist and Inker confuse me.

example: I have a book which has "Story & Art by Bruce Jones".

That would mean writer but what else??

Darth Kramer

Postby Darth Kramer » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:03 pm

That would likely mean that he provided pencils and inks at least, perhaps colors and letters if there aren't any other credits given.

Dreamseeker

Postby Dreamseeker » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:40 pm

Thanks

Since there aren't any other credits..I'll add Bruce Jones to all 4.

FlameHead

Postby FlameHead » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:12 pm

Or, if it's not completly clear in the comic, I guess you could leave it blank.

Dreamseeker

Postby Dreamseeker » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:36 pm

I guess the main question was what "art" meant in 'Story & Art by"

spid

Postby spid » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:29 pm

Dreamseeker wrote:I guess the main question was what "art" meant in 'Story & Art by"

Just wait to you see entries when editors get cute with the titles and you have to decipher what they mean. You can always try to see if any previous issue listing.

lothario
Gold Donor
Gold Donor

Postby lothario » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:25 am

you have to also watch for the fact that a lot of currently produced comics aren't inked at all. you can usually tell the uninked art by looking at the artwork itself as it is "sketchier"

cheers,
lothario

DarthSkeptical

Postby DarthSkeptical » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:19 am

Dreamseeker wrote:Thanks

Since there aren't any other credits..I'll add Bruce Jones to all 4.
I would advise against this. "Art by" is a tricky credit. The only thing you can really say for sure is that it means he or she did the pencils. Frequently, it also means "inks", but you would need to establish that they have a track record of doing inks in other publications before, I think, you could safely say that. If you're at all in doubt, I'd put them down for inker, but also used the "(unconfirmed creator)" credit.

Lettering is hugely tricky, I think. This was a quite under-credited position throughout the years. Very early on, in the America of the 30s, often it was actually the artist who lettered. But the percentage of comic books from the late Golden Age to the present day where the letter is the penciller is very, very, very low. The fact is we may never know for sure who did the lettering on a lot of books in the middle of the 20th century, because back then it was viewed as a technical, and not artistic, position.

Colorists are even harder to predict. It is an even rarer accomplishment for the colorist to be the penciller. These days, it basically only happens when a work is painted, as opposed to drawn. Or, when the coloring job is relatively unsophisticated, as with (American) comic strips. Honestly unless the work were painted or the artist was someone like Aragonés, I just would set it as "unknown" and live with the fact that we'll probably never know.

In any case, we would prefer that you not leave creators blank in a case like this, but actually take the time to use the creator, "(unknown creator)" (parentheses necessary). This shows that the work in question is as completely credited as possible, rather than just incomplete. It also gives us a handy list of all titles where some additional sleuthing may be possible later. Think of it as a way to say, "I tried my best, but this is as much as I could find at the present time".

Dreamseeker

Postby Dreamseeker » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:01 pm

Thanks....

I believe my question has been answered. :D

Heath

Postby Heath » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:21 pm

So if it is painted artwork, do we add the painter to all three fields - penciller, inker, and colorist? Would it be worth it to add some way of specifing the art is painted other than the notes field for the issue?

Return to Site Support