PLEASE READ: General Guidelines

For any questions/comments/suggestions regarding using and/or contributing to ComicBookDB.com

Moderators: DarthSkeptical, Fnord Serious, Chris, spid, Skyhawke, Darth Kramer, mikebo

spid

Re: PLEASE READ: General Guidelines

Postby spid » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:46 am

Kweethul wrote:It's frustrating having my post's removed from series' that have posts with less information than mine, yet those issues are left in place. I don't get 24 hours to add more info to my posts, yet older less informative posts remain long after their initial posting.

My point being, if you want to police posts, don't just do it with the new additions, alienating new posters...

Sorry for the frustration, but as I said the normal method we use to notify new users is unavailable at the moment. We decided to make the policy a going forward approach instead of retroactively removing post before the initiative. So yes, there are blank entries in the database, and we are trying to keep anymore from cluttering up the database.

Soda

Postby Soda » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:42 pm

Kweethul wrote:It's frustrating having my post's removed from series' that have posts with less information than mine, yet those issues are left in place.

Why aren't you adding the information in the first place? It can't be that hard to at least enter writer, artist(s) and cover artists, while adding editors (which are left out by quite a few people for whatever reason), charactersm, cover and the like later.
Because I find it VERY annoying when people are entering in a race of "I and only I MUST be the person to enter the new issues and nobody else is allowed to beat me to it to I'm creating blank entries so that I'm faster and can enter them all!". I'm not sure if that's the case here but I hate it if I have to clean up after somebody who was too lazy to enter at least the basic information.

Chris
Cosmic Donor
Cosmic Donor

Postby Chris » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:01 am

Contribution histories are back up - if they don't get abused like they were, they should stay that way :)

Soda

Postby Soda » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:00 pm

a) cool
b) abused? How? When?

Chris
Cosmic Donor
Cosmic Donor

Postby Chris » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:31 pm

When I closed them down, there was some sort of automated function like a bot that would just hammer those pages over and over, putting a huge strain on the database. No idea why they would want to do the history pages, but they had to be closed down as a result.

spid

Postby spid » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:43 am

Just a reminder do not add additional punctuation to an issue name. If there is no comma in the original issue name do not add it in.

Morbius

Postby Morbius » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:33 pm

There are a few pet peeves I've been running into a lot and I just want to confirm that I am correct in what I consider the "right way" and I'm not just trying to enforce "my way."

1. Duplicating character appearances in the main issue entry that are already in "Multiple Stories" sub-entries. This one's a bit difficult, because I actually understand why you would do it. If you have a variant version of an issue in your collection, then the "Multiple Stories" sub-entries are not carried forward into the info for your variant cover entry and so the characters in the issue are not listed anywhere in your entry. (This is a totally separate issue that I would love to see fixed - now that the characters listed in an issue's main entry are automatically duplicated in variant versions, having the multiple stories duplicated too would be hugely helpful). But, because different characters are in different stories and they are already listed, adding them again to the main issue entry seems fundamentally the wrong place. Especially when people then add them AGAIN to every variant cover, which is not necessary at all and just clutters up the character page with 1,000 versions of each issue they appeared in - this is something people do extremely often whether there are multiple stories in the entry or not and is probably my biggest pet peeve on this site (but one I need no clarification to know I'm correct on).

2. Adding "Multiple Story" entries to a TPB or HC collection for each issue it collects. Clearly we already know which issues it collects - there's a whole great function for that. And most of the time that appropriate function has already been used. But I'm finding a lot of instances - especially (though not exclusively) in recent DC Comics collections - where someone has then gone on to use the "Multiple Stories" function to add an entry (complete with creators and characters and everything) for each one of those issues. Not only is this totally unnecessary because if we want info about the issues it collects all we have to do is click on them, but (like duplicating character listings on variant versions) it only serves to clutter up the character pages when you click the "+" on a series they've appeared in. It seems clearly wrong to me, but I wanted to ask about it here to make sure I'm right because I really don't have any desire to be the guy going around deleting people's hard work, and I know how much work they had to put in to create all those story entries. An example: http://comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=255200

mikebo

Postby mikebo » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:28 pm

I can respond to your second point, since I'm primarily the one (but not only) who's been adding the data you question. There are many reasons for it.

Say you've collected the issues of a storyline that takes part across many issues in many titles, and the 'chapters' aren't numbered for the most part. (Batman: No Man's Land for example) You can check the collection's entry and easily find the correct reading order - assuming the collection's editors haven't made any mistakes.

If a collection only reprints one story from an anthology issue, this allows members to easily learn what is reprinted and what is not without having to go offsite to find this information.

Collections are not always 1:1 reprints of the comics they collect. Pages may be omitted, or additional pages can be added which may feature creators' work or characters which were not present in the original issue. (For example, only 5 pages of DC Universe #0 are reprinted in Absolute Final Crisis. Or, check out the story notes for this entry: http://www.comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=107812) Dialog and artwork may be changed. New coloring; new lettering. (Heavy edits and new art have been applied to collections of Infinite Crisis.) Sometimes edits like this are not advertized and only discovered years later. In rare cases, an entire story may be redrawn for the "reprint". (There's a Hellboy newspaper strip that was redrawn and reformatted for it's reprint. Keith Giffen re-illustrated a story for the 1989 Great Darkness Saga collection - a story he did not illustrate in its original publication. This new version has been reprinted in later collections, and the original version of the story has never been collected to my knowledge.) Human error also can be a factor - first printings may have errors that are corrected in future printings. Detailed entries have this information.

Reprints can offer various bonus features not present in the original. In some cases, it can more than double the content of the original:
http://www.comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=333965
Extra features from one edition might not be carried over into future reprints as well. The opposite is also true frequently, more features are added to future reprints. Having this information also lets potential buyers know exactly what they're getting for their hard earned money.

Along the same line, some people won't purchase a collection if it does not include the cover artworks. Having this information can aid someone who's on the fence about a purchase.

Golden and Silver Age comics often did not have credits. Modern reprints may be the first time a story may have a credit in print. Adding this information makes the creator credits more complete. If the data is deleted from a reprint, the credit might be absent from the database altogether. Old comics' creator credits might also be in dispute. One reprint might credit one creator to a story, and another is credited to someone else. Adding this information makes people aware of the dispute, and someone might come along that can clarify things. Also, although not limited to these eras, the original comics that are reprinted might not yet be in the database.

If members are looking to find every story two creators worked on together, entries like this won't help them much:
http://www.comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=292028
And just my personal opinion, entries like that^ with a wall of text aren't very attractive.

Soda

Postby Soda » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:50 pm

Okay, adding characters twice to one entry is IMO bollocks and when I stumble upon them I'd remove them. If you want the characters on the variant(s) - add the multiple stories. Simple as that.

As for the second point I agree with Mike.
Also: Some collections have bonus content like pin-ups, cover galleries et al. If I would want to list those then IMO all content should be listed. And yeah - sometimes titles get changed for the collections, maybe because of legal action (or threats of those), like with "Sidekicks", where the story was named "The New Teen Titan" in issue #1 and was changed to a different title for issues #2 and #3 (because obviously, DC took issue with that title) and in the collection all parts were named after the new title. So naming the individual titles would reflect those changes.
It is also nice to see with this option at which point a specific story was reprinted in the trade.
For example the TPB of the British TMNT comic book series by Panini reprints a) not all stories from those issues and b) reprints them in absolutely no particular order. Sure, I went for another solution to reflect that but I also could've added all the individual stories (but I have to admit that I was a bit lazy on that day):
http://www.comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=319770

I did however add every reprint for this one:
http://www.comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=327273

Why? because a good chunk of those stories is from foreign publisher and are presented there for the first time (making it necessary to list them) and another chunk is reprinted from stories/issues that are not in the Comicbook DB yet (like those Disney Digests) or not properly indexed.

mikebo

Postby mikebo » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:57 pm

Yes, Soda, changed story titles was a big one I wanted to mention! In some cases, the stories' titles are removed altogether for the reprint. And, a story may not have a title in its initial publication (see almost any Golden Age story), but will be newly titled in a modern reprint.

And where else, but this site, are you going to get information like this :D :
http://www.comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=189486

Morbius

Postby Morbius » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:28 pm

I can see that there is value to doing it in cases like you mentioned even if there is absolutely none in doing it for all of these New 52 TPBs and the like, but I also recognize the need for uniformity across the site. So even if I find it to be extremely unattractive and cluttering on character pages, I can see where you're coming from.

swh_cadguy

Postby swh_cadguy » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:34 am

Do not enter books until they are released. Please do not enter new issues and titles into the database until they are on sale to the public. Much can change from the time a book is solicited to the time that it hits the shelf at your local comic shop. To ensure that the information in the database is accurate, we ask that users do not enter books based upon solicitation info or upload promo cover images. Uploading solicitation images can create confusion in the long run, causing users to wonder if the slightly different cover of the solicitation image (moved logos, changed type) is a variant of the final printed version that they hold in their hands. Take it as a rule of thumb to not add an issue unless you have a physical copy in your hands.

As these guidelines date back to 2009 and the availability of online information has improved, I wonder if it's time to relax this point ever so slightly.

This Monday I added the series Captain Marvel (2016) and the regular cover edition of the first issue. The entry included the proper cover with UPC code, title, page count, creators, characters, teams, etc. I did the same for Uncanny X-Men (2016) #2.

I did so after confirming through Diamond Comic's New Release document, available on Monday mornings,these issues being shipped this week.
http://www.previewsworld.com/shipping/newreleases.txt

All of the information, I garnered from the previews publishers allow Comicbookresources.com to post prior to Wednesday each week. Marvel previews are generally available on Mondays, other publishers between Monday and Tuesday and DC Comics on Tuesday afternoon/evening. These previews provide at the very least the regular edition comic cover, issue title (if applicable) and the in-comic listing of the creative team. They also show 4-8 pages of story, so that a character listing can be started.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/captain-marvel-1-marvel-comics-2016

I was a bit surprised and disappointed last night to see my two entries removed, including the series. I had come to the site to add the 5 DC issues, I was going to be picking up today. I then searched the forums to find this post. The information I used to populate the issue entry had nothing to do with the initial solicitations and the cover images were exactly what was being released in two days, not a promo images.

I was even more frustrated this evening when I went to re-add these issues to my collection and I came upon the new entries missing most of the information I had put into them on Monday. I've received rather blunt e-mails in the past, indicating that I'd be banned from entering information into the database for having added more details then this issue currently has. At least they started something though. Uncanny X-Men (2016) #2 has not been re-entered.

This is a database and it needs timely and above all accurate information put into it, in order to maintain its integrity. I was a data administrator for 18 years for automotive parts and tooling suppliers, so I understand the need for accurate information. I just hate coming to the site on the weekend or even weeks later and having to add in current issues. I'd much rather be proactive, when I have the time to be, so that everything is available and complete on Wednesday nights. Thus why I added what I did on Monday.

At the very least it would have been appreciated, if the administrator that deleted my entries had taken the time to e-mail me outlining the guidelines, so that a discussion could have been started. They probably could have also kept the entries in the database, since they were for the most part complete, excluding variants.

Hopefully there is an openness to explore allowing these types of entries to be accepted within the week of release.

Cheers!
Scott

spid

Postby spid » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:16 pm

I do not see the rule for waiting until the official release day for data entry being relaxed anytime soon. The problem we had was not that some people were not putting in accurate information. The problem we had was a lot more people were not. Having the rule makes it easier for everyone to understand to wait until the comic is in their hand to enter it in. When we really started enforcing the rule the quality of the average entry went up exponentially.

I think it is safe to say that we are not in a rush to to have an entry for every comic at the expense of completeness.

Uthor

Postby Uthor » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:19 pm

swh_cadguy wrote:I was even more frustrated this evening when I went to re-add these issues to my collection and I came upon the new entries missing most of the information I had put into them on Monday.

That's super annoying.

I've had entries deleted before for being put in before Diamond shipped the books despite the creators giving out digital copies to their backers a few days early as thanks. All that made me do is not bother entering the information a second time and just dealing with an incomplete entry that someone else filled out later.

Uthor

Postby Uthor » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:24 pm

I'd love to have a new guideline for people to white balance their cover image uploads. I have to replace the cover for almost every book that I buy because some people keep uploading images where the whites look like dull gray and vibrant colors look washed out. This is especially noticeable on all the covers with significant negative space that Marvel likes putting out these days (eg, Fraction's Hawkeye run). Doubly annoying that the person who uploads first gets the credit for the cover despite it being sub-par.

Again, it's pretty frustrating to correct other's mistakes and I let the bad covers slide more and more these days.

Return to “Site Support”