Adding New Characters With Same Codenames/Aliases

For any questions/comments/suggestions regarding using and/or contributing to ComicBookDB.com

Moderators: DarthSkeptical, Fnord Serious, Chris, spid, Skyhawke, Darth Kramer, mikebo

jimcripps

Adding New Characters With Same Codenames/Aliases

Postby jimcripps » Tue May 30, 2006 3:51 am

When trying to add Christine Spar, with alias Grendel, the DB said that the alias was all ready taken. How is this worked, since there are multiple Cap's and Robins and such? There are of course, different characters taking on the name Grendel too.
Last edited by jimcripps on Tue May 30, 2006 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris
Cosmic Donor
Cosmic Donor

Postby Chris » Tue May 30, 2006 3:55 am

Characters with the same alias have their identity in the alias. Using your example of Cap, the first two are:

Captain America (I - Steve Rogers)
Captain America (II - William Nasland)

Take a look at the full list of characters that the site has and you'll see a lot of characters done that way. The same will hold true for each Grendel.

jimcripps

Postby jimcripps » Tue May 30, 2006 3:58 am

Why did it not take when I entered in Christine Spar with codename/alias Grendel then? (While I wait on your response, I'll try again.)

edit - still didn't work, darn.

Chris
Cosmic Donor
Cosmic Donor

Postby Chris » Tue May 30, 2006 10:19 am

Sorry I didn't make it more clear - the alias is entered as:

Grendel (II - Christine Spar)

or whatever is the accurate description of this Grendel. Likewise the original Grendel entry needs to be modified.

jimcripps

Postby jimcripps » Tue May 30, 2006 3:12 pm

Chris wrote:Sorry I didn't make it more clear - the alias is entered as:

Grendel (II - Christine Spar)

or whatever is the accurate description of this Grendel. Likewise the original Grendel entry needs to be modified.

So, how is that entered? Is it like,

First Name = I - Hunter
Last Name = Rose
Codename = Grendel

First Name = II - Christine
Last Name = Spar
Codename = Grendel

Or is Codename entered differently? Sorry, but I still don't understand how to tell the DB the difference between the two so that it will take.

Chris
Cosmic Donor
Cosmic Donor

Postby Chris » Tue May 30, 2006 5:15 pm

It looks like someone has already entered the Grendel entries now, but for further reference, it would be like this:

First Name: Hunter
Last Name: Rose
Codename: Grendel (I - Hunter Rose)

The reason behind all of this is that when you go to add the character to a book, if we don't differentiate the characters within the alias, you can't tell which of the three (or however many) Grendels you're picking when they all just say, "Grendel". In the same way, if you look at the full character list, there's no way to tell which Green Lantern to click on when you see 15 Green Lanterns in a row. So the alias field includes all of the information since it needs to be unique.

jimcripps

Postby jimcripps » Tue May 30, 2006 5:54 pm

Chris wrote:It looks like someone has already entered the Grendel entries now, but for further reference, it would be like this:

First Name: Hunter
Last Name: Rose
Codename: Grendel (I - Hunter Rose)

The reason behind all of this is that when you go to add the character to a book, if we don't differentiate the characters within the alias, you can't tell which of the three (or however many) Grendels you're picking when they all just say, "Grendel". In the same way, if you look at the full character list, there's no way to tell which Green Lantern to click on when you see 15 Green Lanterns in a row. So the alias field includes all of the information since it needs to be unique.

Ah, that's what I was looking for, thanks! I had just assumed that the DB automatically created the "I - ," "II - " and so on. Now I get it. :roll:

'Preciate it a lot.

Return to Site Support