Just some harmless venting

Moderators: DarthSkeptical, Fnord Serious, Chris, spid, Skyhawke, Darth Kramer, mikebo

Joseph4th

Just some harmless venting

Postby Joseph4th » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:27 am

I just wanted to take the opportunity to vent about how publishers are annoying me with their naming conventions.

This set of Sin City trades is "Sin City" while this other ones are "Frank Miller's Sin City."

This trade clearly has Trinity written down the spine. The Cover says "Trinity" in big letters with a tiny roman numeral "III" under it and what looks like the subtitle "Batman * Superman * Wonder Woman." But its actually "Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman: Trinity" At least on the original issues they put the "Batman * Superman * Wonder Woman" bit above the title.

Then they go and change the titles midway through a run like "Saga of the Swamp Thing" becoming just "Swamp Thing" somewhere along the run without starting the numbering over. I think various X-Men titles have done this a dozen times.

These are just the examples I've come across tonight when entering my trades. You think I am going to remember that the Trinity trade is filed under "B" on my bookshelf? Where are the rest of the Sin City trades? Oh that's right, they are under "F" for Frank Miller.

And then there is how easy it makes for people entering these issues into the database to mess up. There is an entry for "Trinity III" with no actually issues under the title. I assume the person entering it realized after entering the title that it was already entered and couldn't delete it.

I could go on about how they could stop making the indicia so hard to read. Seriously, they sometimes write that crap in a 6 point font in red against an orange background? I'm going blind trying to read it and find out which printing the trade is.

I think that was enough venting for one day. One more shelf of trades and then onto the hardcovers.

Uthor

Re: Just some harmless venting

Postby Uthor » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:05 pm

Joseph4th wrote:These are just the examples I've come across tonight when entering my trades. You think I am going to remember that the Trinity trade is filed under "B" on my bookshelf? Where are the rest of the Sin City trades? Oh that's right, they are under "F" for Frank Miller.

Solution: Don't worry if you're putting your books on your shelf "correctly" but if you will be able to find them. My shelves are all kinds of messed up, with small books together at the beginning, and Marvel all together despite various formats while DC Absolutes are seperate, and BPRD under "H" for Hellboy. As long as you can use it, who cares?

EarthFurst

Postby EarthFurst » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:53 pm

Hey Joseph, I appreciate your venting.
I posted a rant at http://earthfur.livejournal.com/34024.html
about titles on comic book covers.

Joseph4th wrote:I just wanted to take the opportunity to vent about how publishers are annoying me with their naming conventions.

This set of Sin City trades is "Sin City" while this other ones are "Frank Miller's Sin City."

This trade clearly has Trinity written down the spine. The Cover says "Trinity" in big letters with a tiny roman numeral "III" under it and what looks like the subtitle "Batman * Superman * Wonder Woman." But its actually "Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman: Trinity" At least on the original issues they put the "Batman * Superman * Wonder Woman" bit above the title.

Then they go and change the titles midway through a run like "Saga of the Swamp Thing" becoming just "Swamp Thing" somewhere along the run without starting the numbering over. I think various X-Men titles have done this a dozen times.

These are just the examples I've come across tonight when entering my trades. You think I am going to remember that the Trinity trade is filed under "B" on my bookshelf? Where are the rest of the Sin City trades? Oh that's right, they are under "F" for Frank Miller.

And then there is how easy it makes for people entering these issues into the database to mess up. There is an entry for "Trinity III" with no actually issues under the title. I assume the person entering it realized after entering the title that it was already entered and couldn't delete it.

I could go on about how they could stop making the indicia so hard to read. Seriously, they sometimes write that crap in a 6 point font in red against an orange background? I'm going blind trying to read it and find out which printing the trade is.

I think that was enough venting for one day. One more shelf of trades and then onto the hardcovers.
Still trying to learn the ways of the ComicBookDB. http://en.wikifur.com/wiki/List_of_upcoming_comics

angeltread

Postby angeltread » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:01 am

pretty much all of marvel and DC piss me off with their never the same naming of their comics and renumbering schemes. bull butter i say.

Return to General Discussion