Mask or no mask

Moderators: DarthSkeptical, Fnord Serious, Chris, spid, Skyhawke, Darth Kramer, mikebo

pnova

Mask or no mask

Postby pnova » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:33 pm

Most super hero comics & also other types of comics [horror] have characters in mask. But should characters wear masks? ...& if so what type - full like Spiderman [after everyone knew who he was - still wearing full mask], half mask [Wolverine, Batman, Cap A]

Then No Mask [they can't tell its me if I put on glassess - Superman], Fantastic Four apart from Ben.

Soda

Re: Mask or no mask

Postby Soda » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:59 pm

?

Uthor

Postby Uthor » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:25 pm

No mask. Otherwise, the guy you're fighting will grab onto it and will either have control of your head or twist it and blind you. Same reason you shouldn't have long hair (I love the trick Batwoman uses with the wig: someone grabs her long hair and she lets the wig slide off her head and punches the dude).

Joseph4th

Postby Joseph4th » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:58 am

There was a bit in one of Marvel's New Universe titles where the main character of the book goes to a comic book convention. He winds up talking to some writers (boy it would be great if I could remember names) and they go on about how masks really only work in the comic book world because they say they do. They mentioned something about how they know his general height and weight, his hair color, his eye color and even with his mask they can tell he has a big snooze. Marvel never did reprint those titles in trade did they?

But forget masks, note how often comic characters just hang out in their costumes. You constantly see the X-Men just hanging out in the mansion wearing their tights. Emma Frost was walking about the school in her underwear outfit all the time. I hope they at least have multiple uniforms or wash them nightly.

pnova

Postby pnova » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:10 am

That was from the Hell fire club days - or if you follow the cartoon the circle club because you can't used hell fire name in a cartoon. They had her walking round - al of them in the same suits, but you know how many workers they have at that place [whenever the X-men showed up they had lots to fight] so they must have been ironing clothes ready for them to change. Also wasn't in one of the films we see lots of the same suits hung up?

Uthor

Postby Uthor » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:07 pm

Joseph4th wrote:But forget masks, note how often comic characters just hang out in their costumes. You constantly see the X-Men just hanging out in the mansion wearing their tights. Emma Frost was walking about the school in her underwear outfit all the time. I hope they at least have multiple uniforms or wash them nightly.

To be fair, Emma Frost walks around in her underwear outfit all the time because her only other option is to be naked. I've never seen her in anything else.

pnova

Postby pnova » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:22 pm

In GenX she had [i think] whole body suit & normal clothes - genX #7 cover i think she's on that one.

#6 cover was thinking of - but it must be inside of an issue around there.

Ukiah

Postby Ukiah » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:36 pm

Depends completely on the universe in which it is set. If keeping your real identity a secret is important then you'll want a mask. If there's a reason for flashy costumes in that world then you might also find a reason to wear a mask.

You have to make allowances for their reality, those domino masks worn in many comics will not hide an identity too well for some high profile individuals - when we read these comics we share in that world's reality that it is enough though.

I've honestly been good with both versions - if it makes sense and doesn't clutter up the story or appearance of the characters then it usually doesn't matter to me. Certainly a story can be made on examining the whole mask thing - just as the 'No Capes' was deconstructed in that great movie The Incredibles ;)

Return to General Discussion