Tips on collecting comic books and tips on rare books

Moderators: DarthSkeptical, Fnord Serious, Chris, spid, Skyhawke, Darth Kramer, mikebo

InTraining

Tips on collecting comic books and tips on rare books

Postby InTraining » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:56 am

I am not a big comic book guy. I bought a bulk load of GFT Escape from Wonderland and really enjoyed the covers of both normal issues and variants, and I feel like I may become a big comic book guy. I want to start collecting the GFT series and spin offs, but I really want to know some things about storing my comic books, like:

1. What's the best bag available? Second? Third?

2. Do boards matter on what brand these are? What board should i be getting?

3. Whats the best box to store comics into?

Now, I recently got a fairly rare GFT Escape WL #0 variant, and it came in the mail bagged, and boarded. As far as my eyes tell me, the cover is beautiful, and perfect. Now, I've already read issue 0, should i simply leave this variant in its bag? I'm also not so sure on how I should store this issue, and whether or not the bag and boards are of a good brand.. Help, tips, and personal preferences would be greatly appreciated~

Also, long and demanding first post is long and demanding, sorry about that. DX

Indy
Silver Donor
Silver Donor

Re: Tips on collecting comic books and tips on rare books

Postby Indy » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:55 am

There are varying degrees of bags and boards you can use depending on how crazy you are about keeping the comics pristine. Basically about boards all you need to worry about is getting acid-free boards, I don't even know if they make non-acid-free boards anymore though so that is probably not a problem. I usually just pick up whatever the LCS has because ordering bags/boards online never seems to be a good deal. Shipping costs are too much. As long as you don't plan on throwing the comics around the room after bagging/boarding then the cheapest bags/boards will probably be fine. If you plan on taking certain comics in/out of bags many times over then I guess you could get a slightly thicker bag so it doesn't rip. It would probably just be easier to use thinner cheaper bags and replace if you need to. As for storage, any box will do as long as the comics have no chances of bending while in it. That means you can use a box that is wider than 8 inches, you just have to put something else in to keep the comics from sliding around, and it has to be done so they have a little space so you aren't crushing them. So it is probably easier just to get comic boxes, which are specifically for comics. My LCS sells longs for $6 and shorts for $4, they hold around 200/100 respectively. I prefer to double bag my comics (two comics per bag) so that their spines are alternating and they stay in the box evenly. In a long box if you do one comic per bag and have them all facing the same direction then the spine side will fill the box and the loose side will still have about 2 inches, and they like to flop around. You could alternate with just one comic per bag but it looks stupid.

I'm not sure about long term stuff as I have only been collecting comics for a few years now.

EDIT: To sum up your questions:
1. I don't know, cheapest seem to work fine for me.
2. I don't know, cheapest seem to work fine for me.
3. Just buy normal comic boxes, they fit comics perfectly, have easy handle holes for carrying (comics weigh a lot), have convenient lids and can stack.

I might change number 3 after I try out a drawer box I bought last week. If it works well then it would be much better, but I think the comics will weigh it down too much and it won't slide nearly as well.

lahonda_99

Postby lahonda_99 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:39 am

Older plastic sleeves actually ate away at the paper. When buying make sure the label says "non-acidic" or something close to that. Cardboard backing is either two sided rough or one rough and one smooth. I prefer the 1/1 so that the smooth butts up against the book. It's your preference, I think the smooth might have a negative chemical in it, though.

Talon_

Postby Talon_ » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:13 pm

I actually use binders and page sleeves to organize my comics... i also have about 10 different series between 4 characters, so the organization is crucial for me. just an idea
"Sniper rifle, simple. It's not a weapon it's a surgical tool... for long distance brain surgery" -Punisher

Indy
Silver Donor
Silver Donor

Postby Indy » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:16 pm

Any idea on where to order those special bags? Lifetime quality would be worth spending some extra money on.

InTraining

Postby InTraining » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:37 pm

wow, I really appreciate all this info, thanks! A few more things that came to mind...

Does tape matter? I see there's some double sided acid free anti-yellowing archival tape.. @___@

How do you guys like to tape your bags? Just the single tape over the flap and back? Or maybe something a little more sealing...?

About boxes, does acid free really matter? I mean if the comics are bagged, especially in Mylar bags.

Thanks again for the help guys!

Return to General Discussion