Antony Johnston was born and raised in the Birmingham, England area. One of his earliest memories is of his father reading a copy of British kid's comic THE BEANO to him when he was four years old. Antony, that is, not his father.
This first encounter with comics led to an unhealthily long obsession with the medium as Antony moved from THE BEANO and WHIZZER & CHIPS to SCREAM, BATTLE, the relaunched EAGLE and perhaps inevitably, 2000AD. These fostered an interest in fantasy and science fiction, and making up his own stories. In turn, this led to an adolescent interest in role-playing games such as DUNGEONS & DRAGONS and Games Workshop's WARHAMMER games.
Not long into this period Antony discovered alcohol, girls and The Sisters Of Mercy, at which point the comics and role-playing games were thrown unceremoniously on the back seat. Everything in his wardrobe that wasn't black was just thrown. Plus še change.
Later, a friend recommended he try out a new American comic called THE SANDMAN because one of the characters bore a strong resemblance to Patricia Morrison. Some time later, White Wolf's VAMPIRE: THE MASQUERADE was released. Antony succumbed to these heavy-handed hints from the cosmos, and was soon immersed once again in the nefarious worlds of comics and role-playing.
The next few years were filled with drugs, alcohol, sex, tattoos, piercings, heavy metal and sleeping on trains across Europe. Yes, they were thoroughly enjoyable. Thanks for asking.
By 1998, Antony was a graphic designer of some years' experience and had written several magazine articles on role-playing games, though the comics had once again been all but forgotten. He moved to the South-West of England to work as a magazine designer, and while there also wrote the martial arts supplement THE KESTRELS: BECOMING FIRE for XID Creative's PROVIDENCE role-playing game. (A second book, THE GREEN PEOPLE, was also written. However, XID were bought by a company which then collapsed before the book could be released.)
Antony soon realised that what really interested him about role-playing games was the worldbuilding and storytelling aspects. Frankly, all that rules malarky was a bit dull. Simultaneously, he read an advance copy of Titan Books' WRITERS ON COMICS SCRIPTWRITING and was reminded by the irreverent eloquence of some familiar British names just what it was he used to enjoy about comics.
In 1999, a mere 20 years after first deciding he wanted to write comics, Antony finally got round to it.
He is now the author of thirteen graphic novels, including STORMBREAKER and POINT BLANC (adapted from Anthony Horowitz' best-selling Alex Rider novels), THE LONG HAUL, JULIUS and THREE DAYS IN EUROPE. He writes two ongoing serials, the sci-fi epic WASTELAND and the children's fantasy TEXAS STRANGERS. He has adapted many of Alan Moore's prose stories to comics, written for the TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE comics license, and is the only other writer to have penned a story for Greg Rucka's award-winning QUEEN & COUNTRY series.
He also writes novels; his debut FRIGHTENING CURVES won the 2002 American Independent Publishing Award for Best Horror. His second novel, STEALING LIFE, was published in 2007.
Antony lives in North-West England with his partner Marcia, his dogs Connor and Rosie, and an embarrassing amount of Apple products that don't have names.
Date of Birth:
August 25, 1972
Birmingham, England, UK
Website: http://www.antonyjohnston.comE-mail: email@example.comTwitter: http://www.twitter.com/antonyjohnston Favorite Creators:
Antony Johnston is a favorite creator of 6 users
Alan Moore's Another Suburban Romance (2003)
Alan Moore's Hypothetical Lizard (2005)
Alan Moore's Light of Thy Countenance (2009)
Alan Moore's Neonomicon (2010)
HC Alan Moore's The Courtyard (2003)
Alan Moore's Yuggoth Cultures and Other Growths (2003)
Bad Medicine (2012)
- 'Alan Moore's Neonomicon Collected'TPB
- 'Alan Moore's Neonomicon Collected'
OGN SC Codename Baboushka (2015)
The Coldest City (2012)
Daredevil [GER] (2008)
- 'Distance means nothing'
#9 Daredevil: Cage Match (2010)
Daredevil: Season One (2012)
Dark Reign: Hawkeye (2009)
Dead Space (2008)
Dead Space Extraction (2009)
Dead Space Salvage (2010)
- 'Shadowland 1'#10
- 'Shadowland 2'
OGN SC El Hombre Sin Miedo, Daredevil The Man Without Fear!<br>El Poderoso Thor, The Mighty Thor (2006)
- 'Dead Space: Salvage'
#56 [Thor 2] F-Stop (2005)
Fashion Beast (2012)
Four Letter Worlds (2005)
La Semilla de Galactus 2: Vecinos'#57 [Thor 3]
La Semilla de Galactus 3: Extranjero'#58 [Thor 4]
La Semilla de Galactus 4: Duelo Contra Galactus'#59 [Thor 5]
La Semilla de Galactus 6: La Propuesta'#60 [Thor 6]
Fear Itself: En el Principio...'
OGN SC The Fuse (2014)
- 'Love Hate Fear Fate'
TPB vol. 01 Image Expo Preview Book: I Is For Image (2014)
The Long Haul (2005)
Marvel Monster Edition (2003)
Modern Tales (2005)
- 'The Russia Shift 'TPB vol. 02
- 'The Russia Shift - Part 1'#1 (2nd Printing)
- 'The Russia Shift Part 1'#1 (Eh! Variant)
- 'The Russia Shift Part 1'#2
- 'The Russia Shift - Part 2'#2 (Variant Cover)
- 'The Russia Shift Part 2'#3
- 'The Russia Shift - Part 3'#3 (Variant Cover)
- 'The Russia Shift Part 3'#4
- 'The Russia Shift - Part 4'#5
- 'The Russia Shift - Part 5'#6
- 'The Russia Shift - Final Part'#7
- 'Gridlock - Part 1'#7 (Jenny Frison Variant)
- 'Gridlock Part 1'#8
- 'Gridlock - Part 2'#9
- 'Gridlock - Part 3'#10
- 'Gridlock - Part 4'#11
- 'Gridlock - Part 5'#12
- 'Gridlock - Final Part'#13
- 'Perihelion Part One'#14
- 'Perihelion Part Two'#15
- 'Perihelion Part Three'#16
- 'Perihelion Part Four'#17
- 'Perihelion Part Five'#18
- 'Perihelion Final Part'#19
- 'Constant Orbital Revoltions Part One'#20
- 'Constant Orbital Revoltions Part Two'
#10 Neonomicon (2011)
New Avengers: Luke Cage (2010)
- 'Closer: Entfernung is unbedeutend'
TPB Nightjar (2004)
Nightjar: Hollow Bones (2004)
Noble Causes: Extended Family (2003)
Postcards: True Stories That Never Happened (2007)
Queen & Country (2001)
Queen & Country Declassified, Volume 3 (2005)
- 'Town Without Pity'
HC vol. 03 Season One Guide (2011)
Shadowland: After the Fall (2011)
Shadowland: Blood on the Streets (2010)
A Small Killing (2003)
Spider-Island: Deadly Hands of Kung Fu (2011)
- 'Sons and Daughters'TPB vol. 03
- 'Sons and Daughters'#1
- 'Part 1, Sons & Daughters'#2
- 'Part 2, Sons & Daughters'#3
- 'Part 3, Sons & Daughters'
#1 Spider-Man: Spider-Island Companion (2012)
- 'Part One: Deadlier Than the Male'#2
- 'Part Two: The Web of Deceit'#3
- 'Conclusion: The Zen of Spiders'
HC Spooked (2004)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre Fearbook (2006)
Texas Strangers (2007)
- 'Spider-Island Companion'TPB
#1 Thought Bubble Anthology (2011)
Three Days In Europe (2002)
- 'Training Day - Part 1 of 2'#2
- 'Training Day - Part 2 of 2'
TPB vol. 01 Vivid Girls (2005)
- 'Out of the Shadows'TPB vol. 02
- 'The Dark Path'#1
- 'The Day Dawned Twice'#1 (2nd Printing)
- 'The Day Dawned Twice'#2
- 'Falling Into Dark'#3
- 'Blood from a Stone'#4
- 'And Black Waters Remain'#5
- 'The Myth of History'#6
- 'Chasing Shadows'#7
- 'Killing the Sunrise'#8
- 'What Whispers in a Wode'#9
- 'Twisting the Knife'#10
- 'There, in the Gleaming...'#11
- 'In Nobody We Trust'#12
- 'If it Bleeds'
Apocalyptic Edition HC vol. 01Apocalyptic Edition HC vol. 02Apocalyptic Edition HC vol. 03Apocalyptic Edition HC vol. 04Apocalyptic Edition HC vol. 05TPB vol. 01 Wasteland (2011)
Wolverine: Prodigal Son (2009)
Yuggoth Creatures (2004)
- 'Cities In Dust'TPB vol. 02
- 'Shades Of God'TPB vol. 03
- 'Black Steel In The Hour Of Chaos'TPB vol. 04
- 'Dog Tribe'TPB vol. 05
- 'Tales Of The Uninvited'TPB vol. 06
- 'The Enemy Within'TPB vol. 07
- 'Under The God'TPB vol. 08
- 'Lost In The Ozone'TPB vol. 09
- 'A Thousand Lies'TPB vol. 10
- 'Last Exit for the Lost'TPB vol. 11
- 'Book 11 Floodland'#1
- 'Some Kind Of Stranger'#2
- 'Maps & Legends'#3
- 'Descend The Shades Of Night, Part One'#4
- 'Descend The Shades Of Night, Part Two'#5
- 'Descend The Shades Of Night, Part Three'#6
- 'Dying Freedom'#7
- 'Children of the Sun'#8
- 'Rusty Cage'#9
- 'Elusive Cure'#10
- 'Black Holes and Revelations'#11
- 'At The Edge Of Night'#12
- 'No Time To Cry'#13
- 'Escape From The Killing Fields'#14
- 'Death Walks Behind You'#15
- 'Dawn Razor'#16
- 'Hail And Kill'#17
- 'Ride the Lightning'#18
- 'Iron Horse / Born to Lose'#19
- 'Rain When I Die'#20
- 'Apocalyptic City'#21
- 'Dogs of War'#22
- 'Dog-Face Boy'#23
- 'Hounds Of Love'#24
- 'Dog Eat Dog'#25
- 'Planet Caravan'#26
- 'Childhood's End ?'#27
- 'The Enemy'#28
- 'Rebel Without A Pause'#29
- 'Kick In The Eye'#30
- 'How To Be Dead'#31
- 'For All You Leave Behind'#32
- 'My Hope The Destroyer'#33
- 'Houses Of The Holy'#34
- 'I'm Not Jesus'#35
- 'Breaking The Warrior'#36
- 'Devil's Dance'#37
- 'Ashes You Leave'#38
- 'The Truth Famine'#39
- 'Lovesong for a Dead Child'#40
- 'Beneath Black Skies'#41
- 'Sleeping Satellite'#42
- 'This Woman's Work'#43
- 'The Memory of Trees'#44
- 'The Wreckage of My Flesh'#45
- 'World Leader Pretend'#47
- 'Happiness in Slavery'#48
- 'Forever Failure'#50
- 'Burning Inside'#51
- 'Thy Kingdom Gone'#52
- 'The Virus of Life'#53
- 'The Final Chapter Part One: Breath of Ghosts'#54
- 'The Final Chapter Part Two: Ice Cold Man'#55
- 'The Final Chapter Part Three: Blood of Eden'#56
- 'The Final Chapter Part Four: The Cry of Mankind'#57
- 'The Final Chapter Part Five: Ash & Debris'#58
- 'The Final Chapter Part Six: Killed by Death'#59
- 'The Final Chapter Part Seven: Black Planet'#60
- 'Before and After Science'