McKeever first published work appeared in 1987, when he published the first 5 parts of his unfinished series Transit, establishing his trademark style. This was followed in 1987-1988 by his 12-part series Eddy Current. This "12-hour book" centers on an escapee from an asylum -- obsessed with the expoits of the superhero "The Amazing Broccoli," Eddy buys a mail-order battery-powered "Dynamic Fusion Suit" and sets out to save the world. The work is quintessential McKeever: darkly humorous, showing an "ordinary" person caught up in extra-ordinary events. Some of the characters in Eddy Current reappear in Metropol and other later works ,similarly from Transit. This series was nominated for the Eisner Awards for Best Single-Issue (#1), Best Black-and-White Series, Best New Series, and Best Artist (for McKeever) for 1988.
His 5-parter Plastic Forks (Epic 1990) explored the world of animal experimentation, albeit in a surreal and comical way.
Metropol (Epic 1991-1992) is an epic story of the fight between angels and demons, but set in a modern industrial landscape. An apocalyptic work in which non-entity Jasper Notochord becomes involved in a surreal fight between the forces of good and evil.
The Extremist, a 4-parter written by Peter Milligan (Vertigo 1993) tells the tale of a woman who discovers that her husband had a secret life, which she discovers upon his death. Her investigations lead her into a shocking world of extreme sex and violence.
Recently, McKeever has produced a number of works exploring alternative realities within the world of DC Superhero comics. With Randy & Jean-Marc Lofficier, he has produced an Elseworlds trilogy: Superman's Metropolis, Batman: Nosferatu and Wonder Woman: The Blue Amazon, all retellings of the DC mythos.
His artistic style is dark distorted and far less clean than many of his contemporaries. As well as Peter Milligan and Randy & Jean-Marc Lofficier, McKeever has collaborated with comics creators Dave Gibbons and writer and singer Lydia Lunch. His most recent work Enginehead (DC 2004) was written by Joe Kelly.
Date of Birth:
Website: http://web.archive.org/web/20090505153543/http://www.luna7.com/McKeever/mckeever.htmBlog: http://tedmckeever.blogspot.comTwitter: https://twitter.com/TedMcKeever Favorite Creators:
Ted McKeever is a favorite creator of 21 usersAwards:
- 1988 Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards - Nominee - Best Artist: (Eddy Current [Mad Dog Graphics])
- 1991 Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards - Nominee - Best Artist
Astonishing Tales: M.O.D.O.K. (2009)
Batman [GER] (1989)
Batman Black and White (1996)
Batman Nuova Serie (1999)
#6 Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight (1989)
- 'Terra di nessuno: Panem et circenses'
#74 Batman: Nosferatu (1999)
Batman: Shadow of the Bat (1992)
- 'Engines, Part One'#75
- 'Engines, Part Two'
#85 Batman/Nightwing: Bloodborne (2002)
Clive Barker's Hellraiser (1989)
Clive Barker's Hellraiser: Posterbook (1991)
Clive Barker's Night Breed (1990)
- 'No Man's Land: Bread and Circuses: Conclusion'
#24 Comic Shop News (1987)
- 'A New Midian 1/2: A Lonesome Road'#25
- 'A New Midian 2/2: Here There Be Monsters'
#7 Eddy Current (1987)
Eddy Current (1994)
Elseworlds: Justice League (2016)
- 'Back With a Vengeance'#8
- 'Good Night Mr. Holmes!'
#1 The Extremist (1993)
- 'First Gear'#2
- 'Second Gear'#3
- 'Third Gear'#4
- 'Fourth Gear'#5
- 'Fifth Gear'#6
- 'Sixth Gear'
#1 Faith (1999)
- 'December, Ninteen Ninety-Three'#1 (Platinum Retailer Version)
- 'December, Ninteen Ninety-Three'#2
- 'June, Ninteen Ninety-Three'#3
- 'July, Ninteen Ninety-Three'#4
- 'January, Ninteen Ninety-Four'
#1 The Haunted Tank (2009)
- 'An Act of Confession'#2
- 'The Coverage of Sound'#3
- 'Satanico Pandemonium'#4
- 'Dandelions Kiss'#5
- 'Coma Monkeys'
#5 Horizon (2003)
- 'It's a Nice Place to Visit But ...'
#13 Industrial Gothic (1995)
- 'Enginehead/JLA: Kid Amazo'
#1 Junk Culture (1997)
- 'Anywhere But Here'#2
- 'Book Two: Damn Your Hands'#3
- 'Traces of Lilac'#4
- 'The Truncheon's Waltz'#5
- 'The Aluminum Tower'
#1 Little Book of Horror: The War of the Worlds (2005)
- 'Teenage Wildlife'#2
- 'Deuces Wild'
TPB Miniature Jesus (2013)
- 'Ted McKeever's Meta4: The Complete Series'#1
- 'Inverted Memories Of Grey'#2
- 'Asunder the Boardwalk'#3
- 'A Moon with a View'#4
- 'The Perpetual Evolution of Self'
TPB Pencil Head (2016)
Plastic Forks (1990)
- 'Ted McKeever's Mondo'#1
- 'B'Gok No More!'#3
- 'Fustercluck on Venice Beach!'
HC Previews (1988)
- 'Plastic Forks'#1
- 'Trauma Humane'#2
- 'Gravit's Angel'#3
- 'Ritual Bride'#4
- 'Sedation Run'#5
#241 Shade, the Changing Man (1990)
- 'Vol. XVIII No. 10'
#64 Showcase '94 (1994)
- 'One From the Heart'
#8 Silent Hill: Dead/Alive (2005)
Spider-Man's Tangled Web (2001)
The Superannuated Man (2014)
- 'Prelude to Zero Hour - Scarface - Wildcat'
TPB Superman's Metropolis (1996)
- 'The Superannuated Man'#1
- 'The Mannequin's Beard'#2
- 'Left Laughing with No Options'#3
- 'The Breath of Reptiles'#4
- 'Like Shooting Fish in the Hand (or Two in a Barrel)'#5
- 'Left Laughing with No Options'#6
- 'Everything Old is Old Again'
OGN SC Ted McKeever Library (2008)
Ted McKeever's Metropol (1991)
- 'Superman's Metropolis'
#1 Ted McKeever's Metropol (2000)
Ted McKeever's Metropol A.D. (1992)
- 'Secrets And Revelations'#2
- 'My Bones,My Pulse'#3
- 'You Can Only Experience Death Once'#4
- 'The Breath Of Reptiles'#5
- 'No One Move A Muscle as The Dead Come Home ( Part 1 of 2 )'#6
- 'The Only Thing That Shines ( Part 2 of 2 )'#7
- 'Evil is an Exact Science'#8
- 'Eddie Resurrectus'#9
- 'Wings of Silence/A Thunder Like Drumming'#10
- 'Rotting Metal, Rusted Flesh'#11
- 'Diagram of the Heart Pumping Blood'#12
- 'Ghosts of Heroes I Once Knew'
#1 Toxic Gumbo (1998)
- 'Book 1: Like A Babe In Arms'#2
- 'Book 2: The Smell Of Rust And Gunpowder'#3
- 'Book 3: At What Price Life?'
#1 Ultimate Marvel Team-Up (2001)
- 'Smoke Rings'#1 (ASH KAN)
- 'Smoke Rings'#2
- 'Potato at Ground Zero'#3
- 'Corruption for Beginners'#4
- 'Incidents and Accidents'#5
- 'Sign of the Teaspoon'
#12 Vertigo Resurrected: The Extremist (2011)
Wonder Woman: The Blue Amazon (2003)
Zombies!: Feast (2006)
- 'Spider-Man & Doctor Strange'#13
- 'Spider-Man & Doctor Strange'