Val Mayerik was born on March 29, 1950 in Youngstown, Ohio. He majored in art and philosophy at Youngstown State University, which he attended from 1968 to 1972. In spring of his graduating year, he met and began working as an assistant to Ohio-based comic-book artist Dan Adkins, alongside fellow assistant P. Craig Russell. Through Adkins, who was primarily an inker for Marvel Comics, Mayerik broke into comics that summer as penciler, over Adkins layouts, of the eight-page story "Spell of the Dragon", starring author John Jakes' sword-and-sorcery hero Brak the Barbarian. Published in the horror-fantasy anthology Chamber of Chills # 2 (Jan. 1973), it appeared a month after his first published comics work, the full-length "The Monster of the Monoliths" in Marvel's Conan the Barbarian # 21, which Mayerik and Russell penciled over Barry Windsor-Smith layouts.
Mayerik quickly found more assignments, penciling Marvel's adaptation of H.G. Wells' The Invisible Man, over Adkins layouts, in Supernatural Thrillers # 2 (Feb. 1973); and doing his first full penciling, with writer George Alec Effinger's adaptation of Lin Carter's "Thongor! Warrior of Lost Lemuria" story "Thieves of Zangabal", in Creatures on the Loose # 22 (March 1973).
Mayerik became the regular artist of the swamp-monster feature "Man-Thing" in Fear #13 (April 1973). Six issues later, he and writer Steve Gerber introduced Howard the Duck. Initially a minor supporting character intended only for an issue or two, the anthropomorphic waterfowl — bedecked in suit and tie as a parody of funny animal ducks, except for his cigar-smoking and his angry, ascerbic wit — Howard eventually became a star character with his own satiric series, penciled first by Frank Brunner and then Gene Colan. The character shortly afterward became a mainstream pop-culture figure.
Mayerick continued to pencil both the "Man-Thing" and "Thongor" series until the former received his own title, for which Mayerik drew the premiere issue (Jan. 1974). While also doing scattered horror/fantasy/science-fiction anthology stories, Mayerik teamed with Gerber on a second series, the Living Mummy, in Supernatural Thrillers, and took over the art on The Frankenstein Monster. With writer Doug Moench, he did a monumental adaptation of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes novel The Hound of the Baskervilles in the black-and-white magazine Marvel Preview # 5-6 (April & Spring 1976). He also penciled the final six issues of the 20-issue jungle-lord series Ka-Zar (1974-1977 series)
Also interested in acting, Mayerik appears in The Demon Lover (1977),a low-budget horror film shot in and around Detroit, Michigan.
In early 1977, Mayerik moved to New York City, where he acted off-off-Broadway and found work with artist Neal Adams' Continuity Associates studio, sharing space with fellow fledglings Howard Chaykin, Walt Simonson, and Jim Starlin.
During this time, he drew the first Howard the Duck Annual (May 1977) and Howard the Duck #22-23 (March-April 1978). He was also an artist on the Howard the Duck newspaper comic strip in 1977. He co-plotted and co-scripted, in addition to drawing, Howard the Duck #33 (Sept. 1986), the second and last issue of a short-lived series revival coinciding with the release of the movie Howard the Duck. He expanded beyond his prolific Marvel work to draw for Heavy Metal magazine and the Warren Publishing line of black-and-white comics magazines; the latter work included the continuing samurai feature "Young Master", reprints of which appeared as backup stories in Mayerik and writer Larry Hamas 1987-1989 Young Master series published by New Comics Group.
Mayerik left New York City in 1981, moving first to Cleveland, Ohio, where he did local TV and film work and regional theater in addition to his art, before settling in Oregon in 1993.
Mayerik continued to draw for comics through the 1980s and early 1990s, working on series for Eclipse Comics, First Comics, Now Comics, Pacific Comics, and Harvey Pekar's self-published American Splendor, in addition to Marvel, but was seguing toward more of a career in advertising art and in illustration for the games industry, including the roleplaying game companies TSR, Inc. and Wizards of the Coast. (See "Bibliography", below). As a spinoff of this, he drew the four-issue Acclaim Comics miniseries Magic: The Gathering — The Shadow Mage (July-Oct. 1995)
Mayerik has done storyboards and other art for clients ranging from Coca-Cola and Microsoft to the American Indian College Fund and the Oregon Historical Society.
Date of Birth:
Website: http://thehud.com/vm/ Favorite Creators:
Val Mayerik is a favorite creator of 2 users
Alien Worlds (1982)
Amazing Adventures (1988)
Amazing High Adventure (1984)
American Splendor (1976)
American Splendor: The Life and Times of Harvey Pekar (2003)
Back Issue (2003)
#31 Badger: Zen Pop Funny-Animal Version (1994)
The Barry Windsor-Smith Conan Archives (2010)
Bizarre Adventures (1981)
Black Widow: The Coldest War (1990)
- 'Steve Gerber Tribute Issue'
OGN SC Black Widow: Web of Intrigue (2010)
Bram Stoker's Burial of the Rats (1995)
Bruce Lee (1994)
- 'Black Widow: The Coldest War'
#4 Castle of Horror (1978)
The Chronicles of Conan (2003)
Conan Le Barbare (1972)
- 'The Word on the Street'#5
- 'The Avenging Dragon'#6
- 'Wrap Party'
#6 Conan the Barbarian (1970)
- 'Le monstre des monolithes'
Annual 08 Conan the Savage (1995)
Destroyer Duck (1982)
Die Spinne Comic-Album (1979)
Doorway to Nightmare (1978)
- 'Dark Night Of The White Queen'#21
- 'The Monster of the Monoliths!'#21 (UK-Edition)
- 'The Monster of the Monoliths!'#138
- 'Isle of the Dead'#139
- 'In the Lair of the Damned'
#1 Dracula Lives (1973)
Dracula Lives (1974)
- 'Doorway to Nightmare'
#33 Earthworm Jim (1995)
- 'In Defense of Innocence'#34
- 'Last Laugh'#36
- 'No More... No More...'#37
- 'The Quiet Revolution'#38
- 'Broken Pieces Dreams Ending'
#1 Eclipse (1981)
Eros Graphic Albums (1992)
Essential Howard the Duck (2002)
Essential Marvel Horror (2006)
Fallen Angels (1987)
- 'Heck Hath No Fury (Like A Lawyer Scorned) Part 1: No Suit, No Shoes, No Service'
#18 Heavy Metal (1977)
Heroes Against Hunger (1986)
- 'Lady of the House'
Oneshot Howard the Duck (1976)
Howard The Duck Omnibus (2008)
Jon Sable, Freelance (1983)
- 'A Song of Pain and Sorrow!'
#52 Ka-Zar (1974)
- '24 Hours, Part Two'
#15 Ka-Zar the Savage (1981)
- 'When Shatters The Gateway To Hell'#16
- 'The Conquest Of Claw'#17
- 'A Shark On The Wind'#18
- 'The Gnome Queen And The Savage'#19
- 'Raknor The Slayer'
#15 Kato of the Green Hornet II (1992)
Magic: The Gathering Wayfarer (1995)
Magic: The Gathering--The Shadow Mage (1995)
Mark Hazzard: Merc (1986)
Marvel Comic Exklusiv (1987)
- 'A Lovely Day For An Execution!'#16
- 'It Creeps!'#17
- 'Tag, You're It!'#18
- 'A Stranger in Paradise'#19
- 'I'll Take Manhattan'#21
- 'It's a Jungle Out There!'#22
- 'Shanna the Savage'#23
- 'On Death and Dying'#25
- 'The Dead Who Walk'#26
- 'Escape From New York!'
#15 Marvel Graphic Novel (1982)
- 'Die schwarze Witwe: Operation Kalter Krieg'
#11 Marvel Preview (1975)
- 'Void Indigo: Tortured Souls'
#5 The Masked Man (1984)
The Master (1989)
Michael Chabon Presents the Amazing Adventures of the Escapist (2004)
Monsters Unleashed (1973)
More American Splendor: The Life and Times of Harvey Pekar (1987)
- 'The Game Is Afoot! / The Hound of The Baskervilles! / The Legend! / The Problem! / Sir Henry Baskerville'#6
- 'The Demon-Hound From Hell! / First Report of Dr. Watson / Second Report of Dr. Watson: The Light Upon The Moor! / The Hell-Hound Strikes!'#8
- 'The Madman of Mansion Slade! / Into The House of Terror! / The Reality Manipulators / The Curse of Anubis'#10
- 'Thor The Mighty / The Isle of Fear'#24
- 'PARADOX: By The Light Of The Silver Earth: 1)Prologue / 2)Moonrise! / 3)Now You See Him, Now You Don't / 4)It's My Party, and I'll Die If I Want You! / 5)Just A Little Misunderstanding!'
TPB New Mutants Classic (2006)
The New Mutants (1983)
- 'The Life and Times of Harvey Pekar'
#49 Outlaw Territory (2009)
Planet Of The Apes (UK) (1974)
The Punisher War Zone (1992)
The Punisher (1987)
The Savage Sword Of Conan (1974)
The Savage Sword of Conan (2007)
Savage Tales (1985)
Shi: East Wind Rain (1997)
Shi: Kaidan (1996)
Shi/Daredevil: Honor Thy Mother (1997)
- 'Ashes of the Soul'
#27 Stalkers (1990)
Strikeforce: Morituri (1986)
- 'Last Rites'#28
- 'Dementia Deluxe!'#29
- 'Mistaken realities'
#23 Supernatural Thrillers (1972)
The Toxic Avenger (1991)
- 'Castles of Fire Rivers of Blood'#24
- 'Goodbye, Blue Sky'#26
- 'The Last Morituri'#27
- 'Tuolema's Story'#28
- 'The Ghost, the Tiger and the Wind'
#1 Twisted Tales (1982)
Vampire Tales (1973)
Void Indigo (1984)
- 'A Hideously Deformed Creature of Superhuman Size and Strength is Born'#2
- 'Apocalypse, Inc!'#3
- 'Night of the Living Hardbodies'#4
- 'Lethal Linda and the Legend of Sludgeface'#5
- 'Dr. Chemo's Biohazard'#6
- 'Not Fit for Fertilizer'#7
- 'Sinister Slinkers'#8
- 'Oooze Brute'#10
- 'Die Yuppie Scum'#11
- 'Nukin' Weasels'
#1 Web of Spider-Man (1985)
- 'Book Two: Spikes and Demons, Part One - Killing to be Clever'#2
- 'Book Two: Spikes and Demons, Part Two - Rapture and Violence'
#49 Young Master (1987)
- '--Corner Business'
#1 Zombies vs Robots (2015)
- 'The Art of Killing'#2#3#4#5#6#7
- 'The Hours Before Darkness'#8
- 'Crimson And Black'#9
- 'Fear and Sin'