David began his 35-year career in illustration in Chicago in 1972. He worked in small in-house art departments, studios, and design firms illustrating in a variety of mediums from watercolor, gouache, acrylics and oils, to full tonal pencil, and pen & ink. In addition, he pounded the streets procuring additional freelance work.
This range of working experience lead him into various markets of illustration which included advertising, book publishing, editorial, institutional, entertainment and graphic design. His personal artistic exploration covered European, American, and Oriental painting, as well as folk, and modern art, sculpture, architecture, and contemporary illustration.
David's great strength as a conceptual artist, as well as his masterful technical skills, has developed a visual voice quite unlike any other in the field of illustration. The underlying editorial, narrative themes evident in his work won acceptance with many Fortune 500 companies, and high profile periodicals. In recent years, he has developed an impressive body of work in genre illustration covering adventure, science fiction, fantasy, horror, and comic books.
David has accrued numerous awards of excellence from The Society of Illustrators, Communication Arts Magazine, Print, and other regional and national competitions. His original artwork hangs in the private collections of such notables as George Lucas, Jerry Garcia and Mickey Hart of The Grateful Dead rock band, Bill Cosby, Hugh and Christy Hefner, and the American Italian Museum.
David's client list has included The Boy Scouts of America, Playboy Enterprises, Hasbro Toy Company, Delta and United Airlines, The America's Cup Campaign, The Grammy Awards, Warner Brothers, Universal Pictures, Anheuser-Bush, Miller Brewing Co., Dow Jones, Harper Collins, Simon & Schuster, Coca-Cola, Sony Entertainment, The Grateful Dead, Marvel, DC, TopCow, and Dark Horse Comics.
David has always been generous in giving back to his chosen field by teaching young artists in workshops, and lectures with such institutions as The Syracuse University Satellite Program, The Dallas Community Collage, The College of Medical Illustration, The Cincinnati Art Academy, The Cleveland Art Institute, and The Cincinnati Art Institute.
David was born in Springfield, Illinois in the year 1950. His academic training was with Wright State University, The American Academy of Art, and The Chicago Academy of Fine Art.
He resides with his family in Cincinnati, Ohio where he continues to produce uniquely original illustration for a wide range of applications.
To view more of David's work please visit
Date of Birth:
Website: http://www.davidmichaelbeck.com/ Favorite Creators:
David Michael Beck is a favorite creator of 1 user
Alien vs. Predator: Jagdfieber (2005)
Alien vs. Predator: Thrill of the Hunt (2004)
Belle Starr: Queen of Bandits (2005)
#1 Buckaroo Banzai: Return of the Screw (2006)
The Damaged (2007)
Dark Horse Presents (1986)
Dobry komiks (2004)
- 'The Death of Belle Starr, Part One'
#24B Evil Ernie: Returns (2001)
G.I. Joe (2001)
- 'Alien vs. Predator: Dreszcz polowania'
M.I.A. 1 G.I. Joe: Battle Files (2002)
- 'Reinstated! - Parts 1 and 2'TPB vol. 01
- 'Reinstated! 1 of 4'#1 (2nd Print Cover)
- 'Reinstated! 1 of 4'#2
- 'Reinstated! 2 of 4'#3
- 'Reinstated! 3 of 4'#4
- 'Reinstated! 4 of 4'#5
- 'Out For Bludd'#6
- 'Reckonings: Part 1 of 4'#7
- 'Reckonings: Part 2 of 4'#8
- 'Reckonings Part 3 of 4'#9
- 'Reckonings Part 4 of 4'#10
- 'Malfunction! 1 of 4'#11
- 'Malfunction! 2 of 4'#12
- 'Malfunction! 3 of 4'#13
- 'Malfunction! 4 of 4'#14
- 'Homecoming 1 of 2'#15
- 'Homecoming 2 of 2'#16
- 'The Family'#17
- 'The Cabal Part 1'#18
- 'The Cabal Part 2'#19
- 'The Cabal Part 3'#20
- 'Closure Part 1'#21
- 'Closure Part 2'#21 (Cover B)
- 'Closure Part 2'
TPB G.I. Joe: Frontline (2002)
- 'The Joes'#2
- 'Weapons & Tech'
#4 Highlander (2006)
Image Introduces…Primate (2001)
Jade: Redemption (2001)
Jonah Hex (2006)
- 'The Mission that Never Was 4 of 4 "Endgame"'
#8 Kolchak: The Night Stalker (2003)
Lady Death: Dark Alliance (2002)
Lady Death: Dark Millennium (2000)
Lady Death: Die Drangsal (2001)
Lady Death: Swimsuit 2001 (2001)
Lady Death: Tribulation (2000)
- 'Never Turn a Blind Eye'#24
- 'All Hallows Eve'#40
- 'Sawbones, The First Half'#41
- 'Sawbones, The Second Half'
#2#3 Lady Death/Medieval Witchblade (2001)
Lady Demon (2000)
- 'The Guiding Light'#4
- 'Final Jeopardy'
#1 Merc (2009)
On The Road To Perdition (2003)
- 'Possession with Intent'#2
- 'Mission: Diabolical'#3
- 'El Diablo'
#154 Red Sonja (2005)
The Red Star (2000)
The Resistance (2002)
- 'Vol. XI, No. 7'#161
- 'Vol. XII, No. 2'
#3 Rising Stars: Bright (2003)
- 'Chapter Three: The Cretin's Cloning & Feeding'
#1#2 Robocop (2010)
- 'Civilian Casualties'
#5 Savage Tales (2007)
Star Wars (2013)
Star Wars [GER] (1999)
- 'Ballistic Trauma'#6
- 'Profit Margins'
#43 Star Wars Comic-Kollektion (2016)
- 'Verrat auf dem Todesstern'#46
- 'Bis zum letzten Mann'
#30 Star Wars Komiks (2008)
Star Wars Omnibus (2006)
Star Wars Sonderband (1999)
- 'Imperium: Auf der falschen Seite des Krieges'
#10 Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi - Force War (2013)
Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi - Prisoner of Bogan (2012)
Star Wars: Empire (2002)
- 'Jedi Council - Aufstand der Yinchorri'#32
- 'Imperium: Auf der falschen Seite des Krieges'
TPB vol. 04 Star Wars: Jedi Academy - Leviathan (1998)
Star Wars: Jedi Council: Acts of War (2000)
Star Wars: Republic (2002)
- 'The Heart of the Rebellion'TPB vol. 07
- 'The Wrong Side of the War'#13
- 'What Sin Loyalty?'#16
- 'To the Last Man, Part 1'#16 (Hasbro Comic Pack)
- 'To the Last Man, Part 1'#17
- 'To the Last Man, Part 2'#18
- 'To the Last Man, Part 3'#21
- 'A Little Piece of Home, Part 2'#22
- 'Alone Together'#25
- 'Idiot's Array Part 2'#36
- 'The Wrong Side of the War, Part 1'#37
- 'The Wrong Side of the War, Part 2'#37 (Hasbro Comic Pack)
- 'The Wrong Side of the War, Part 2'#38
- 'The Wrong Side of the War, Part 3'#39
- 'The Wrong Side of the War, Part 4'#39 (Hasbro Comic Pack)
- 'The Wrong Side of the War, Part 4'#40
- 'The Wrong Side of the War, Part 5'
#72 Star Wars: The Films and the Galaxy Beyond (2005)
The Undead (2002)
Vampirella Comics Magazine (2003)
Vampirella Revelations (2005)
Vampirella: Revelations (2007)
Zombie Proof (2007)
- 'Trackdown, Part One'#73
- 'Trackdown, Part Two'