Debra 'Deb' Whitman
Search for 'Debra 'Deb' Whitman' on Amazon
Debra "Deb" Whitman was a brief love interest of Peter Parker in the late 1970s and early 1980s. She is also one of the first characters to determine that Peter was Spider-Man, although she was later convinced she was delusional.
Debra Whitman was a secretary in the biophysics department of Empire State University. While there, she met Peter and they started dating. However, things kept coming up in his secret life as Spider-Man and he kept giving her excuses to get out of the date. Because of Peter's rejections, she started to date Biff Rifkin for emotional support, but her infatuation with Peter did nothing but grow.
Debra also suffered from a mental instability that led her to idealize people and invert values. With Peter it grew further into her hallucinating he was Spider-Man. When she told her psychiatrist about her hallucinations, he asked Peter to wear the Spider-Man suit to give her a shocking confrontation with reality to get her out of the hallucination. Peter refused, and indicated Biff Rifkin as a more reliable source of information. However, Biff already knew Debra when she was married to Mark Whitman. One day he asked her about her black eye and she gave evasive answers. That night he went to their house and saw Mark beating her. He rescued her and took her to the hospital, but she insisted Mark was a kind and gentle husband, locked in denial.
Peter then wore the suit and told her he was Spider-Man. The shock made her come to her senses and decided to leave New York to get a divorce.
Debra made her return recently after Peter's unmasking on television, where she's seen on the phone speaking to her co-writer about her new book, titled "TWO FACED: How Spider-Man Ruined My Life." She seems discouraged about the title and tone of the book, but is committed to a book signing later in the day. Enraged, she then hurls items around the room to get out her anger before the signing. At the book signing, Spider-Man and the newly-released Vulture are both seen planning to crash.
After Spider-Man defeats the Vulture, Debra reveals to Betty Brant the editors had forced her to exaggerate the mental damage that Peter had "done" to her in order to make for a better book. Debra's mother had been sick and the medical bills were far more than she could pay for, so when the Daily Bugle dug up all of Peter Parker's past relationships to get dirt on him, she jumped on the chance to write the book. Betty talked Debra into telling the truth to the Daily Globe, confidentially.
First Appearance: The Amazing Spider-Man (1963) #196
View a chronological listing of this character's appearances
Der Unglaubliche Hulk Comic-Taschenbuch (1980)
#7 Die Spinne (1980)
- '...Und SHIELD wird folgen'
#53 Die Spinne Comic-Album (1979)
- 'Ein Mann gibt niemals auf!'#54
- 'Madame Webs Prophezeiung!'#55
- 'Die Geissel der See'#56
- 'Der Alptraum aus der Tiefe'#61
- 'Etwas Schlamm gefällig?'#62
- 'Sehet und ihr werdet staunen!'#73
- 'Du sollst nicht stehlen!'#74
- 'Begegnung mit dem Namenlosen'#78
- 'In den Klauen des Mr. Hyde'
Die Spinne Comic-Taschenbuch (1979)
#15 Die Spinne Taschenbuch Extra Sammler-Ausgabe (1985)
- 'Wer Strolcht da in der Nacht?'
Fantastic Four (1961)
#218 Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man (2005)
- 'When A Spider-Man Comes Calling !'
#14 Hämähäkkimies / Spider-Man (1980)
- 'Taking Wing, Part 1'#15
- 'Taking Wing, Part 2'#16
- 'Taking Wing, Part 3'
Hämähäkkimies / Spider-Man -spesiaali (1983)
L'étonnant Spider-Man (1969)
L'Uomo Ragno (1987)
#8 Marvel Limited: Frank Miller's Spider-Man (1994)
- 'La febbre dell'oro'#21
- 'Chi è quella signora?'
HC Marvel Team-Up (1972)
- 'The Complete Frank Miller Spider-Man'
Annual 04 Marvel Two-In-One (1974)
- 'Power Play!'#106
- 'A Savage Sting Has - The Scorpion!'
#90 Marvelklubben (1984)
- 'Eyes of the Sorcerer'
#23 Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A to Z (2008)
- 'Edderkoppen (3/85)'
HC vol. 13 Sarjakirja (1972)
- 'Valkyrior Steeds to Maximillian Zaran'
The Amazing Spider-Man (1963)
The Astonishing Spider-Man (2007)
The Marvel Encyclopedia (2006)
HC The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Spider-Man: Back In Black Handbook (2007)
- 'The Marvel Encyclopedia'
The Spectacular Spider-Man (1976)
- 'Dark Side of the Moon'#36
- 'Enter: Swarm!'#42
- 'Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death!'#43
- 'Pretty Poison'#46
- 'Deadly is the Cobra!'#47
- 'A Night on the Prowl!'#48
- 'Double Defeat!'#50#51
- 'Aliens and Illusions!'#55
- 'The Big Blow Out'#56
- 'The Peril...and the Pumpkin?'#58
- 'Ring Out the Old, Ring In the New!'#60#61
- 'By the Light of the Silvery Moonstone...!'#62
- 'Gold Fever!'#65
- 'The Heart is a Lonely Hunter'#66
- '-- Electro Will Be Free!'#67
- 'Boomerang - The Killer Who Keeps Coming Back!'#68
- 'Hell Hath No Fury Like a Robot Scorned!'#69
- 'In Darkness Seldom Seen!'#70
- 'The Great Cloak & Dagger Hunt!'#72
- 'Waiting For Doctor Octopus!'#74
Famous Quotes: - Add a Famous Quote
< Previous Character | Next Character >
Add this character to a run of issues in a title
Suggest an image for this character
View the contribution history for this character