Manhunter (02 - Paul Kirk)
Real Name: Paul Kirk
Search for 'Manhunter (02 - Paul Kirk)' on Amazon
None, during the Golden Age. Later, in his 1973 rebirth, he gained Martial Arts mastery and the so-called "Healing Factor".
Paul Kirk has two distinct "lives" in this history of the DCU. At first he was portrayed as a pretty ordinary playboy-cum-crimefighter. While on one of his many big game hunts, he learned of the Manhunter organization. His friend, Police Inspector Donavan, suggested he channel his passion for hunting into a quest for criminals. This Kirk did—after Donavan was killed by the Buzzard. Remembering his earlier encounter with the Manhunters, he modeled his own costume after their mysterious order.
During World War II, Kirk at first joined the All-Star Squadron. Towards the end of the war, however, he abandoned ordinary domestic crime fighting and became a freelance spy for the US government.
At war's end, he left the super-hero gig altogether. In retirement, he returned to Africa and his previous life of big game hunting There, in 1946, killed by a bull elephant.
All Star Comics (1999)
At least that's how his biography would have read in, say, 1955. However, Walt Simonson and Archie Goodwin resurrected the character in 1973, explaining that he was almost killed by the elephant, then rescued by The Council. This super-secret group, dedicated to preventing the human race from killing itself through war, put Kirk in suspended animation near the moment of his death. They then had him languish for years in "suspended animation" until they could find a way to save him. When he came out of it, he was remade into a Manhunter in the tradition of the mythology that had begun at Quality Comics with the character of Dan Richards.
First Appearance: Adventure Comics (1938) #73
Manhunter (02 - Paul Kirk) is a favorite character of 1 user
View a chronological listing of this character's appearances
Adventure Comics (1938)
All-Star Squadron (1981)
#13 Batman Superband (1974)
- 'One Day, During the War...'#31
- 'Uncle Sam Wants You!'#53
- 'Worlds In Turmoil'#59
- 'Out Of The Ashes...Mekanique!'
#11 Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight (1989)
- 'Batman jagt den Feuerteufel'
DCU: Legacies (2010)
Detective Comics (1937)
#437 Dynamic Classics (1978)
- 'A Monster Walks Wayne Manor'#439
- 'Night Of The Stalker!'#440
- 'Ghost Mountain Midnight!'#441
- 'Judgment Day!'#442
- 'Death Flies The Haunted Sky!'#443
History of the DC Universe (1986)
Infinity Inc. (1984)
#22 Manhunter: The Special Edition (1999)
- 'Negative Capability'
TPB Orion (2000)
- 'Manhunter: The Special Edition'
Secret Origins (1986)
#22 Tales of the Batman: Archie Goodwin (2013)
- 'Starring The Manhunters'
The DC Comics Encyclopedia (2004)
HC The Golden Age (1993)
- 'The DC Comics Encyclopedia: Updated And Expanded'HC
- 'The DC Comics Encyclopedia'
#1 The Power Company: Manhunter (2002)
- 'The World Was at Peace.'#2
- 'We Had the Bomb.'#3
- 'We Had Prosperity.'#4
- 'We Had it All'
#1 Thrilling Comics (1999)
- 'A Well-Respected Man...'
Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe (1985)
#14 Who's Who: Update '87 (1987)
- 'Luthor I to Masters of Disaster'
#1 Who's Who: Update '88 (1988)
- 'All-Star Squadron to Catalyst'
#4 Wonder Woman (1987)
- 'Ultra-Humanite to Zuggernaut, plus Abby Cable to Waid Eiling'
Young All-Stars (1987)
- 'The Mechanique Paradox'#1
- 'The Coming of the Young All-Stars'#3
- 'A Call To Arms'#6
- 'The War Within!'#7
- 'Somewhere In This Favored Land...'#8
- 'Manhunters of the World, Unite...'#9
- '...You Have Nothing To Lose But Your Souls!'#14
- 'Hell Hath No Fury...!'#27
- 'When Titans Make War...'#31
- 'Men...and Super-Men'
All-Star Squadron (DC)(Earth-2 - Pre Crisis)
All-Star Squadron (DC)(Post Crisis)
Secret Society of Super-Villains (01-Original)
Famous Quotes: - Add a Famous Quote
< Previous Character | Next Character >
Add this character to a run of issues in a title
Suggest an image for this character
View the contribution history for this character