White Tiger (Marvel)(01 - Hector Ayala)
Real Name: Hector Ayala
Search for 'White Tiger (Marvel)(01 - Hector Ayala)' on Amazon
Ayala possessed the mystic pendants of the Sons of the Tiger, which could transform him into the White Tiger costume and give him his superhuman abilities. The amulets actually created a physical addiction, and Ayala could feel the results if they were separated from him for more than 24 hours. As a result of possessing the mystic pendants of the Sons of the Tiger, Ayala had enhanced strength and reflexes.
Hector Ayala was a Puerto Rican immigrant studying in New York City's Empire State University. One day, he happened upon mystical amulets in the shape of a tiger's head and paws. Unknown to him, they were recently discarded by the crime-fighting team known as the Sons of the Tiger. When wearing the amulet, Ayala found himself endowed with the strength and reflexes of three men. He decided to become a hero, calling himself the White Tiger.
As the White Tiger, Ayala became a successful costumed hero. He soon met and teamed up with Spider-Man, and the two would often share adventures together, such as fighting the Masked Marauder and Carrion. In fact, Ayala and Spider-Man would become such close friends that they shared their secret identities with one another.
Over time, however, Ayala grew uncomfortable as a crime-fighter, and after nearly dying in confrontation with the criminal Gideon Mace, Ayala gave his amulets to the police detective Blackbyrd, a friend of the Sons of the Tiger, with instructions to return the amulets to them. Ayala returned to a normal civilian life, eventually marrying his long-time girlfriend, Holly Gillis.
More recently, Ayala somehow came into possession of the mystic pendants once again. After a fight with his wife, Ayala donned his White Tiger costume again, hoping to come out of retirement and begin fighting crime again. Unfortunately, in the first crime scene he came to, he arrived too late to help stop a robbery at a pawn shop, and an officer was shot. The two thugs managed to overpower Ayala and escape, leaving him holding a stolen TV and standing over the body of the policeman when his back-up arrived.
Ayala was arrested and sent to trial. He used Matt Murdock (Daredevil) and Foggy Nelson as his council. Unfortunately, the trial went from bad to worse, due in part to Ayala's outburst when being questioned about his marriage. Ultimately, a guilty verdict was returned, and Ayala overreacted. He grabbed a gun from a security guard as he tried to flee the courthouse, only to be confronted by police and shot. Murdock was able to convince the true culprit to confess, but it was too late.
First Appearance: The Deadly Hands of Kung Fu (1974) #19
White Tiger (Marvel)(01 - Hector Ayala) is a favorite character of 4 users
View a chronological listing of this character's appearances
Civil War: Casualties of War (2007)
#38 Die Spinne Taschenbuch Extra Sammler-Ausgabe (1985)
- 'Trial of the Century: Part 1'#39
- 'Trial of the Century: Part 2'#40
- 'Trial of the Century: Part 3'#69
- 'Golden Age: Part 4'
Iron Man/Captain America: Casualties of War (2007)
Marvel Comics (2019)
#1000 Marvel Limited: Frank Miller's Spider-Man (1994)
- 'Marvel Comics #1000'
HC Marvel Premiere (1972)
- 'The Complete Frank Miller Spider-Man'
#44 Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A to Z (2008)
- 'The Jack of Hearts!'
HC vol. 13 Power Man and Iron Fist (1981)
- 'Valkyrior Steeds to Maximillian Zaran'
#74 Spider-Man [GER] (2007)
- 'Doorway To Heaven'
#43 Spider-Man [Hi-C Mini-Comics] (1987)
- 'Tage wie dieser Teil 1: Räuber und Gendarm'#44
- 'Tage wie dieser Teil 2: Räuber und Gendarm'#45
- 'Tage wie dieser Teil 3: Das letzte Gefecht'
#2 Spidey Super Stories (1974)
- 'Again, The Enforcers!'#3
- 'Where Were You When The Lights Went Out?'#4
- 'Still Crazy After All These Years!'
#37 The Amazing Spider-Man (1963)
- 'The Slum Lord'#57
- 'The Trapster and the Tiger!'
The Crew (2003)
#3 The Deadly Hands of Kung Fu (1974)
- 'Big Trouble in Little Mogadishu Part 3: Danny'
The Defenders (1972)
The Human Fly (1977)
#8 The Jack of Hearts (1984)
- 'The Tiger and the Fly!'#9
- '...And Daredevil Makes Three!'
#1 The Marvel Encyclopedia (2006)
- 'Murmur of the Heart..!'
HC The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe (1983)
- 'The Marvel Encyclopedia'
#14 The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Deluxe Edition (1985)
- 'Book of the Dead and Inactive 2 : Marvel Boy to Zuras'
The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Master Edition (1990)
The Spectacular Spider-Man (1976)
#9 White Tiger (2007)
- '...Like A Tiger In The Night!'#10
- 'Tiger In A Web!'#18
- 'My Friend, My Foe!'#19
- 'Again, The Enforcers!'#20
- 'Where Were You When The Lights Went Out?'#21
- 'Still Crazy After All These Years!'#22
- 'By the Light of the Silvery Moon Knight!'#23
- 'Guess Who's Buried in Grant's Tomb!'#25
- 'Carrion, My Wayward Son!'#26
- 'Mine Eyes Have Seen the Glory'#28
- 'Ashes to Ashes!'#29
- 'Dust To Dust!'#30
- 'Secret As the Grave!'#31
- 'Till Death Do Us Part!'#32
- 'A Zoo Story'#49#50#51
- 'Aliens and Illusions!'#52
- 'The Day of the Hero Killers!'
- 'A Hero's Compulsion, Part Four of Six: Challenges'
Defenders (Marvel)(01 - Original Team)
Sons of the Tiger (Marvel)
Famous Quotes: - Add a Famous Quote
< Previous Character | Next Character >
Add this character to a run of issues in a title
Suggest an image for this character
View the contribution history for this character