Real Name: Lady Jacqueline Falsworth-Crichton
Search for 'Spitfire (Marvel)' on Amazon
As Spitfire, Jacqueline possessed the ability to run at lightning-fast speeds, with reflexes and agility to match. When she ran, a trail of non-damaging fire appeared behind her. Her skin was also hardened to withstand the rigors of such speed, providing a type of body armor.
During World War II, Jacqueline Falsworth bravely served in Britain’s Home Guard. During an air raid attack on London, she had less to fear from the bombing, however, than from the vampire Baron Blood, who attacked her. She was saved by the android Human Torch, who drove the vampire off. Jacqueline invited the Torch and his team, the Invaders, to dinner at the Falsworth Mansion. Her father, Lord Falsworth, then revealed to family and company that there was one other super-hero in their midst — himself! He told of his career during World War I as Union Jack and volunteered the use of his mansion as a base of operations for the Invaders.
This did not bode well for the other resident in the mansion, the Lord’s visiting "nephew" (really his brother), John Falsworth, who was secretly Baron Blood and a Nazi sympathizer. He arranged for the capture of Jacqueline and her father by a Nazi spy operation which the Invaders had been fighting, and he again attacked Jacqueline, biting her. The Invaders saved Jacqueline and her father, uncovering the truth about Baron Blood, but Jacqueline had been drained of too much blood. She was rushed to a hospital and received a blood transfusion from the Human Torch, who had developed quite a crush on the young woman. She soon discovered that the transfusion of the Torch's android blood, plus the foreign enzymes introduced into her bloodstream by Baron Blood's bite, combined to give her super-human speed. When the hospital was invaded by a Nazi agent in battle armor, called the Blue Bullet, who was looking for the Invaders, Jacqueline used her new powers to save the weakened Torch and to help the other Invaders defeat the Blue Bullet.
Jacqueline made herself a costume and called herself Spitfire, after the British fighter plane of the same name. She joined the Invaders, soon helping them recover her brother, Brian Falsworth, from behind enemy lines. The Torch’s feelings went unrequited, as Spitfire had developed her own crush on their teammate Captain America. Spitfire and Union Jack would continue to serve with the Invaders whenever they were in the U.K. Spitfire continued adventuring for some time, as the Invaders became the All-Winners Squad. She also joined her brother and the Destroyer in hunting war criminals. By 1951, they reorganized the V-Battalion with other heroes of the time, becoming the organization’s first ruling Penance Council. She left the V-Battalion after her brother died in a car accident, and retired from adventuring shortly thereafter.
During the 1950’s, Spitfire’s super powers had waned significantly and, eventually, completely disappeared. By 1956, Jacqueline married an English nobleman, Lord Crichton. Her husband died sometime after they had a son, Kenneth. She then moved back into Falsworth Manor, to look after her ill father.
In more recent years, Baron Blood returned to haunt Jacqueline and her family, and Lord Falsworth called Captain America for help. Captain America was able to destroy Baron Blood, beheading the vampire with his shield, although Jacqueline's father died of an heart attack during the final confrontation. Captain America was aided in battling the vampire by a friend of Jacqueline's son, Joey Chapman, who assumed the identity of Union Jack to help. Initially, Jacqueline disapproved of Chapman's lower class standing, although she did not stop him from continuing his crime-fighting career, and she eventually grew to accept him as a willing successor to her father and brother's legacy.
Later, Jacqueline was approached by Namorita, who needed help rescuing Prince Namor the Sub-Mariner and the Human Torch from the latest incarnation of the Nazi villain, Master Man. Jacqueline was reunited with Captain America and Union Jack. In attempting to rescue their ally, Jacqueline raced in the path of a bullet meant for Namor, discovering the last remnants of her super-speed. She was mortally wounded, but after another emergency blood transfusion from the android Human Torch, Jacqueline's metabolism returned to superhuman levels and her Spitfire powers reactivated. A side effect of her returning powers caused her to become young again, as she reverted to the body of a 16-year old. Jacqueline helped Namor on several occasions with his corporation Oracle, Inc., but eventually returned to her home at Falsworth Manor.
After her son Kenneth became the new Baron Blood and died battling Union Jack, Jacqueline found herself with no living relatives and discovered that she was now aging at twice the normal rate. Determined not to miss anything life offered, she began a romantic relationship with Chapman. Both were recruited into a new version of the Invaders by the Thin Man, hoping to bring down the group Axis Mundi. After this new Invaders subsequently disbanded, she and Chapman amicably ended their relationship, and she has most recently assisted Chapman and Captain America in defending London from the Red Skull's latest plot.
The Exiles issues that she appears in, it is not really her, but a parallel universe version of her.
First Appearance: The Invaders (1975) #7
Spitfire (Marvel) is a favorite character of 6 users
View a chronological listing of this character's appearances
#82 Avengers Arena (2013)
- 'Once an Invader, Part One'#83
- 'Once an Invader, Part Two'#84
- 'Once an Invader, Part Three'
#1 Black Panther (2005)
- 'Old Soldiers, New Wars'#9
- 'Yesterday Gambit...'#10
- 'Past. Tense.'#11
- 'Royal Allies.'
Capitaine America (1970)
#74/75 Captain America (1968)
- 'Comment ce fut vraiment!'#112/113
- 'Si de vieilles amities se perdaient...'#114/115
- 'La legende vivante'
#215 Captain America (2005)
- 'The Way it REALLY Was!'#253
- 'Should Old Acquaintance Be Forgot'#254
- 'Blood On The Moors'#255
- 'The Living Legend'
HC vol. 07 Captain America And Bucky (2011)
- 'Road to Reborn'#18
- 'Twenty-First Century Blitz Part One of Four'#19
- 'Twenty-First Century Blitz Part Two of Four'#20
- 'Twenty-First Century Blitz Part Three of Four'#21
- 'Twenty-First Century Blitz Conclusion'#50
Captain Britain and MI13 (2008)
Citizen V and the V-Battalion (2001)
#1 Citizen V and the V-Battalion: The Everlasting (2002)
- 'Voices Shouting Silently'
#1 Fallen Son: The Death of Captain America (2007)
- 'Time Enough for Living'
#5 Fear Itself: The Fearless (2011)
- 'The Death of Captain America, Chapter 5: Acceptance'
#5 Giant-Size Avengers/Invaders (2008)
- 'Chapter Five: Invaders!'
Heroic Age: Heroes (2010)
Invaders Now! (2010)
#1 Kapteeni Amerikka: Mies joka osti Amerikan (2012)
- 'Condemned to Repeat It'#2
- 'Playing God'#3
- 'Cheating Death'#4
- 'Second Chances'
Knights of Pendragon (1992)
- 'Crawl-Space! (Part 1 of 4)'#10
- 'Blood Lines (Part 1 of 2)'#11
- 'Blood Lines (Part 2 of 2)'
27/28 Marvel Comics Presents (1988)
- 'Chaos au Canada!'33/34
- 'A la Recherche du Mutant X'35/36
- 'La Qualité de la Haine!'37/38
- 'Les Débuts Dramatiques de Dazzler!'
Marvel Legends (2007)
#20 Marvel Super-Heroes (1990)
- 'Twenty First Century Blitz'#21
- 'Guest-Starring Union Jack!'#22
- 'Guest-Starring Union Jack!'#23
- 'Iron Man Strikes Back'
Marvel Universe (1998)
#1 Mortigan Goth: Immortalis (1993)
- 'The Spoils of War!'#2
- 'Tomorrow Belongs to Me!'
Namor, The Sub-Mariner (1990)
Annual 01 New Invaders (2004)
- 'Subterranean Wars Part 3'Annual 02
- 'The Return Of The Defenders Part 2'#11
- 'The Invaders Fight Again'#13
- 'Reap the Whirlwind'#15
- 'Into the Savage Land'#19
- '9 Wives'#21
- 'Call My Land K'un-L'un'#23
- 'You Are Iron Fist... And You Are Not Dead...'#27
- 'Double Dealings'
#0 Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A to Z (2008)
- 'Once an Invader... Part 4'#1
- 'To End All Wars - Part 1'#2
- 'To End All Wars - Part 2'#3
- 'To End All Wars - Part 3'#4
- 'BLOOD - Part 1'#5
- 'BLOOD - Part 2'#7
- 'Cruel & Unusual - Part 1'#8
- 'Cruel & Unusual - Part 2'#9
- 'Cruel & Unusual - Part 3'
Saga of the Sub-Mariner (1988)
Spectacular Spider-Man Adventures (1995)
#214 Spitfire (2010)
- 'Strange Days part 1 Terror at Tintagel'#215
- 'Strange Days (Pt 2)'
#1 The Best of Marvel Comics (1987)
- 'Living In The Ruins'
The Invaders (1975)
#7 The Marvel Encyclopedia (2006)
- 'The Blackout Murders of Baron Blood!'#8
- 'Union Jack is Back!'#9
- 'An Invader No More!'#10
- 'The Wrath of the Reaper'#11
- 'Night of the Blue Bullet'#12
- 'To the Warsaw Ghetto'#13
- 'The Golem Walks Again'#14
- 'Calling... the Crusaders'#15
- 'God Save the King'#18
- 'Enter: the Mighty Destroyer'#19
- 'War Comes to the Wilhelmstrasse'#20
- 'The Battle of Berlin!'#21
- 'The Battle of Berlin! Part Two!'#22
- 'The Fire that Died'#23
- 'The Scarab of the Nile'#25
- 'The Power and the Panzers'#26
- 'Day of Infamy, Day of Shame'#29
- 'Attack of the Teutonic Knight'#30
- 'Five Against the Flying Death'#31
- 'Heil Frankenstein'#32
- 'Thunder in the East'#33
- 'A Time of Titans'#34
- 'He Who Destroys'#39
- 'Back From the Grave!'#40
- 'V... -is for Vampire!'#41
- 'Beware The Super Axis!'
HC The Mighty Avengers (2007)
- 'The Marvel Encyclopedia'
#22 The Mighty World Of Marvel (2009)
- 'The Writing on the Wall'#23
- 'Three Words'
#9 The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe (1983)
- 'Ms. Marvel Versus The Super Skrull!'
#14 The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Golden Age 2004 (2004)
- 'Book of the Dead and Inactive 2 : Marvel Boy to Zuras'
The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Master Edition (1990)
The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Update '89 (1989)
#2 Union Jack (1998)
- 'Champion to Ecstasy'
#1 Vampires: The Marvel Undead (2011)
What If? (1977)
#4 X-Club (2012)
- 'What If... The Invaders Had Stayed Together After World War Two?'
#1 X-Men: Hellfire Club (2000)
- 'We Do Science! Part One'#4
- 'We Do Science! Part Four'
#3 X-Men: Legacy (2013)
- 'For Want of a Soul'
- 'Hope and Glory Part 1'
Famous Quotes: - Add a Famous Quote
< Previous Character | Next Character >
Add this character to a run of issues in a title
Suggest an image for this character
View the contribution history for this character