Real Name: Frank Schlichting
Search for 'Constrictor (Marvel)' on Amazon
The Constrictor wears an electrically-insulated, partially bullet-proofed battlesuit whose chief offensive weapon is the twin lengths of cybernetically-controlled, electrically-powered cables. These cables, which eject and retract from special appliances running from shoulder to wrist, are made of an Adamantium alloy (Adamantium being the strongest metal forged by man). Able to extend a maximum length of 30 feet, the Adamantium cables can be used as whips, capable of rending steel and lesser metals; or as bonds, capable of entwining an object or human being and constricting with a maximum force of 115 pounds per square inch. Once securely around an object or human being the cables are unbreakable. They can kill an average human being by constriction in a matter of seconds.
The Constrictor wears a power-pack in the bullet-proof chest area of his suit capable of generating a powerful electrical charge which he can direct through the length of the cables. He can generate a maximum charge of 35,000 volts of high frequency electricity for up to 3 minutes before depleting his power-pack. He can cyboernetically control the amount of voltage he channels through each cable.
The cybernetic circuitry controlling the functions of the functions of the cables is located in the forehead area of his cowl. The circuitry housing is bullet-proofed and insulated against most forms of jamming radiations.
Frank Payne was presumably a child of divorced parents, as he was raised by a single, if abusive, father. Payne grew up to become an agent for the international espionage organization S.H.I.E.L.D.. Payne was working deep undercover as Frank Schlichting, a small-time hoodlum and enforcer for the Chicago-area mobs. After an incident where he was forced to shoot several of members of a rival gang, Payne snapped. He went to S.H.I.E.L.D.'s director, Nick Fury, to ask to be taken off of the case. However, Fury forced him to go back. Days later, an infuriated and fed-up Payne dropped all contact with S.H.I.E.L.D.
Despite his previous aversion to killing, Frank, now Frank Schlichting, next appeared on the West Coast to make a name for himself as a criminal mercenary. Applying to Eugene Kligger of the now-defunct criminal organization known as the Corporation, Schlichting was outfitted with the armor, equipment, and identity of the Constrictor and became their special operative and hit man.
His first public mission brought him into conflict with the Hulk, but the Corporation soon dissolved and left the Constrictor as a freelance criminal. He then ran afoul of Captain America. He sought employment from the criminal financier Justin Hammer and was ordered alongside other hired criminals to take out Iron Man, but he was unsuccessful. He next teamed up with Sabretooth in a partnership, but the two were thwarted by Luke Cage and Iron Fist. The Constrictor was invited to join the criminal organization, the Serpent Society, at one point, but he refused, and he embarked on several solo criminal activities, which were stopped by the likes of Captain America and Spider-Man.
The Constrictor joined another group, the Masters of Evil, under the leadership of the latest Crimson Cowl. The Masters sought to pool their resources from various crimes, and soon tried their hands at a worldwide blackmail scheme, but they were all defeated by the Thunderbolts.
More recently, the villain Sabretooth was left for dead when his Adamantium-laced skeleton was ripped from his body by the villain Apocalypse. The Constrictor was forced by the hero Gambit to give up his coils to save Sabretooth's life, although Frank soon obtained his current Vibranium models.
The Constrictor briefly shared an apartment with two other villains, Titania (actually Copycat in disguise) and Deadpool. During a rare moment of camaraderie, he revealed that he had a daughter by the name of Mia Payne, although she remains unaware of her father's career as the Constrictor. (Nick Fury had told Payne's family that Payne, whose cover had been as a business executive, had died in a plane crash.)
Recently, the Constrictor has come into a large amount of money. During an armed hijacking, he and fellow villains Jack O'Lantern and the Armadillo were thwarted by Hercules, who left the Constrictor seriously injured. The Constrictor sued Hercules for damages, and Hercules was convinced by Jennifer Walters, She-Hulk, to do the honorable thing and pay up. With his $168 million in damages, the Constrictor became a member of the idle rich.
Although he never felt as if he belonged with such society, Frank Schlicting attended a party hosted by Carlotta LaRosa. This was the event of the year, attended by Tony "Iron Man" Stark, Kyle "Nighthawk" Richmond, and Carlotta's then-current boyfriend, Ben "the Thing“ Grimm. A snubbed debutante who was left off the guest list hired Arcade to kidnap the party-goers and put them in one of his Murderworld amusement parks. As a former villain himself, Nighthawk hoped to convince Frank that he could find a new purpose in life, and the Constrictor helped the Thing and Tony Stark rescue the guests.
Created by Sal Buscema & Len Wein.
First Appearance: The Incredible Hulk (1968) #212
Constrictor (Marvel) is a favorite character of 8 users
View a chronological listing of this character's appearances
Agent X (2002)
#6 All-New Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A to Z (2006)
- 'Dead Man's Switch, Part 6: Uninvited Guests'
#10 Alpha Flight (1983)
- 'Shadowoman to Tara'
#121 Alpha: Big Time (2013)
- 'The Return of the Brass Bishop!'
Avengers Arena (2013)
Avengers Unconquered (2009)
#22 Avengers Undercover (2014)
- 'The Final Battle!'
#1 Avengers: The Initiative (2007)
- 'Descent Part Two'#3
- 'Descent Part Three'
#1 Avengers/JLA (2003)
- 'Happy Accidents'#4
- 'Green Zone'#5
- 'Secret Weapons'#8
- 'Killed In Action Part 1 Of 4: Snafu'#10
- 'Killed In Action Part 3 Of 4: Confirmed Kills'#12
- 'Changing Of The Guard'#13
- 'We Have Met The Enemy, And They Are Us!'#15
- 'The Only Good Skrull'#17
- 'Home Field Advantage'#20
- 'Acceptable Losses'#21
- 'Avengers The Initiative Disassembled Part 1'#22
- 'Avengers The Initiative Disassembled Part 2'#23
- 'Avengers The Initiative Disassembled Part 3'#24
- 'Avengers The Initiative Disassembled Part 4'#26
- 'Up is Down'#27
- 'Even The Losers / The Taking of 42'#28
- 'Walking Nightmare'#31
- 'Poisoned Chalice'#32
- 'Seize The Day'#33
- 'The Hammer Falls, Part 1 of 3'#34
- 'The Hammer Falls, Part 2 of 3'#35
- 'The Hammer Falls, Conclusion'
#4 Black Panther (1998)
- 'The Brave...and the Bold'
#23 Black Panther (2005)
- 'More of That Business With the Avengers'
#10 Cable & Deadpool (2004)
- 'Two the Hard Way, Part 1'
#7 Capitaine America (1970)
- 'The Burnt Offering, Part 1: Headless Horseman'#8
- 'The Burnt Offering, Part 2: Lepers at the Table'#9
- 'The Burnt Offering, Part 3: When the Whip Comes Down'#10
- 'The Burnt Offering, Part 4: Born Sinners'#11
- 'Thirty Pieces, Part 1: Predator & Pray'#12
- 'Thirty Pieces, Part 2: True Confessions'
Capitão América (Portuguese edition) (1979)
Captain America (1968)
Annual 05 Captain America (2011)
- 'Deathwatcher!'Annual 10
- 'Call Of Duty'#228
- 'A Serpent Lurks Below'#229
- 'Traitors All About Me!'#230
- 'Assault On Alcatraz!'#231
- 'Before the Fall!'#282
- 'On Your Belly You Shall Crawl, and Dust You Shall Eat!'#283
- 'America the Cursed!'#309
- 'Nomad Madcap Cap...'#310
- 'Serpents of the World Unite!'#311
- 'Disguise the Limit'
#17 Captain America Comic-Taschenbuch (1988)
- 'New World Orders Part 3'
#1 Civil War: Battle Damage Report (2007)
- 'Geheimstufe 1'#2
- 'Das Schlangen-Imperium Schlägt Zurück'#17
- 'Unter Legenden'#19
- 'Captain America in der Falle'
#35 Die Spinne Comic-Taschenbuch (1979)
- 'Chapter X, Verse Two'#38
- 'Johnny Handsome, Scene One'#39
- 'Johnny Handsome, Scene Two'#40
- 'Warriors Four!'#41
- 'Frag! Or: Why Lucas Won't Release SW on DVD is Beyond Us!'#42
- 'Silent but Deadly Interlude'#43
- 'The Menaced Phantom (Or: Deadpool's Last, We Swear, Cosmic Adventure!)'#44
- 'Cat Trap (Or: Wakanda Merc Are You?)'#45
- 'Johnny Handsome Bites the Dust (Or: "If This Slip Be Pink...!")'#61
- 'Funeral for a Freak, Part 1 of 4: 'Nuff Said!'
#66 Fantastic Four (1961)
- 'Visionen im Nebel'
#334 Gambit (1999)
- 'Shadows of Alarm...!'
#11 Hämähäkkimies / Spider-Man (1980)
- 'The Hamster Run'#16
- 'The More Things Change...'#17
- 'The P.in Cushion'#18
- 'Working the Treadmill'
2003-12 Heroic Age: Villains (2011)
- 'Hydromies ja Tärisyttäjä'
#1 House of M: Masters of Evil (2009)
- 'Heroic Age Villains'
#1 Infinity: Heist (2013)
- 'This Thing of Ours'#2
- 'Honor Among Thieves'
Iron Man (1968)
#126 L`invincible Iron Man (1972)
- 'The Hammer Strikes!'#127
- '...A Man's Home Is His Battlefield!'
#81/82 L'incroyable Hulk (1968)
- '...Le foyer d`un homme est son champ de bataille!'
#70/71 Marvel Assistant-Sized Spectacular (2009)
- 'Ecrase par le Constricteur!'#124/125
- 'Que vous ne pouvez toujours obtenir ce que vous voulez, mais a l`essai il vous arrivera peut-etre d`obtenir ce dont vous avez besoin'
Marvel Comics Presents (1988)
#74 Marvel Fanfare (1996)
- 'Weapon X/A Man of the People/The Freebie/Absolute Zero!'#86
- 'Two Cents/True Colors/Just Friends/Paladin'#87
- 'Three Scents/Sacrifice/If This Is Tuesday, It Must Be Belgium/To Touch The Darkness'#88
- 'Four Scents Worth/Fool For Love/Hero Of The People/Shopping'#89
- 'Five Scents Worth/My Pal Mugsy/Young Blood/What's Wrong With This Picture?!'#90
- 'Life Underground/Fangu Lives/Sixth Scents/Beast, I'm Going to Kill You'#91
- 'Chase In The Dark/Truth or DareDevil/Seven (and a Half) Scents/Bring Me the Head of the Beast'#92
- 'In The Cathedral of the Dead / Seperate Allies / Eight Scents Worth / Closure'#119
- 'Dreams Can't Kill You...But They Can Sure Try!/Home Is Where The Hitmen Are/The Door/The Exclusive'#120
- 'Dreaming with the Enemy/The Constrictor/In a Dark Place/Along Came a Child'
Marvel Team-Up (2004)
#7 Marvel Two-In-One (1974)
- 'Master of the Ring, Part One'
NFL SuperPro (1991)
#11 Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. (1989)
- 'Feels Like Team Spirit'
#36 Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A to Z (2008)
- 'The Snake Who Came in From the Cold'
Peter Parker: Spider-Man (1999)
#51 Power Man and Iron Fist (1978)
- 'Just Another Manic Monday'
#66 Secret Avengers (2010)
- 'The Jade Tiger!'#78
#29 Secret Avengers (2013)
- 'A Council Of Masters'#30
- 'Something Wicked This Way Comes'#31
- 'Into The Void'#32
- 'To Hold Back A Black Hole'
Secret Invasion (2008)
Secret War (2004)
#3 She-Hulk (2004)
- 'Book Three of Five'#4
- 'Book Four of Five'#5
- 'Book Five of Five'
The Hood (2002)
#2 The Incredible Hulk (1968)
- 'Blood from Stones Chapter 2'#3
- 'Blood from Stones Chapter 3'#4
- 'Blood from Stones Chapter 4'#6
- 'Blood from Stones Chapter 6'
The Marvel Encyclopedia (2006)
HC The New Avengers: Most Wanted Files (2006)
- 'The Marvel Encyclopedia'
The New Warriors (1990)
Annual 02 The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe (1983)
- 'Questions of Power The Hero Killers Part 4'
The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Deluxe Edition (1985)
#3 The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Master Edition (1990)
- 'Cloak to Doctor Octopus'
The Spectacular Spider-Man (1976)
The Thing (2006)
#1 Thunderbolts (1997)
- 'Fun 'N' Games, Part 1: Money Changes Everything'#2
- 'Fun 'N' Games, Part 2: Abusement Park'#3
- 'Fun 'N' Games, Part 3: Playing For Keeps'#8
- 'Last Hand'
#24 Venom (2011)
- 'The Eye of the Storm'#25
- 'Saving the World'
Weapon X (2002)
#26 Web of Spider-Man (1985)
- 'Man and Monster, Part 1: Bagging the Elephant'#28
- 'Man and Monster Conclusion'
What If? World War Hulk (2010)
#30 Wolverine and Deadpool (2004)
- 'Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. Part 5 of 6'
#159 X-Men (2010)
- 'Like Father, Like Son... Daken Attacks!'#160
- 'Mission Of Vengeance!'#163
- 'Wolverine Versus Namor! Nuff' Said!'
#38 X-Men (Portuguese) (1988)
- 'The Boneyard, Part 1'
Hood's Criminal Syndicate
Masters of Evil (Marvel)
Six Pack (Marvel)
Famous Quotes: - Add a Famous Quote
< Previous Character | Next Character >
Add this character to a run of issues in a title
Suggest an image for this character
View the contribution history for this character