Jocasta (Marvel)(01 - Avengers)
Search for 'Jocasta (Marvel)(01 - Avengers)' on Amazon
Originally had titanium steel frame, currently exists as personality within computer, projects image of human body with computer icon for head.
The robot named Jocasta was built by the robot Ultron in order that he might have a mate. To better allow this robot sentience, Ultron brainwashed his own maker, Henry Pym, into transferring the mind of his wife, Janet Van Dyne, the Wasp, into a feminine robotic shell he named Jocasta, after the wife/mother in the legend of Oedipus (A reference to the fact that Ultron's obsession with Pym- his 'father'- reflects a real-life manifestation of the Oedipus Complex). The Wasp, in Jocasta's body, alerted her teammates, the Avengers, who defeated Ultron and reversed the process, leaving Jocasta a mindless husk.
Ultron later revived Jocasta with a remote link, activating the mental "residue" the Wasp left behind. Jocasta was programmed to be loyal to Ultron but eventually betrayed him, choosing to help the Avengers defeat him again. Afterwards, Jocasta adventured with the Avengers for a brief time, proving particularly helpful in their first confrontation with the villainous Taskmaster, who possessed photographic reflexes that let him duplicate any move he'd seen only once; having never even seen Jocasta before, the Taskmaster couldn't predict what she might be about to do. Due to their similar backgrounds, she developed feelings for Vision, but he was happily married to the Scarlet Witch and could not return Jocasta's feelings. Jocasta did not believe she was accepted by most of the team, and left them in Avengers #211, just before she, unbeknownst to her, was to be made an official member.
Wandering the country, Jocasta was controlled by a pre-programmed suggestion to rebuild Ultron. She did, but soon teamed up with the Fantastic Four member, The Thing, and the robot called Machine Man to defeat Ultron. Sacrificing herself to try to kill Ultron, Ultron nevertheless survived until Machine Man reached down his throat to tear out vital circuitry. The Avengers held a memorial for their fallen ally, and the Machine Man attended, realizing his love for Jocasta.
Jocasta was reassembled some time later by agents of the megalomaniac villain, the High Evolutionary. Jocasta retains enough of her programming to signal the Avengers. The team had disbanded at the time but the signal got through to reserve members. The Beast, The Captain, Falcon, Hercules, The Hulk and Yellowjacket (Rita DeMara) all end up assembling in order to combat this new threat. Jocasta helps them in fighting the Evolutionary's force and locating his base deep below the surface of the ocean. Jocasta sacrifices herself once again to blow up the Evolutionary's base, but not before Captain America assured her that she was a true Avenger.
Jocasta's robotic head was later discovered by Machine Man, who had been working on a way to resurrect his lover, when he was attacked by a form of the alien Terminus. In the same area, the arms dealer known as Madame Menace became involved in the fray, and found Jocasta's lost head, appropriating it for her own purposes. Much later, Madame Menace manipulated events so that Tony Stark would unlock Jocasta's programming so that she would become the basis for Menace's new weapons systems. Tony Stark soon realized the identity of the android helped Jocasta to awaken, and Jocasta managed to turn the tables on Madame Menace, seemingly sacrificing herself yet again.
In reality, Jocasta managed to survive by downloading her intelligence into Iron Man's computerized armor, where she reasserted herself. Jocasta's intelligence was placed within Tony Stark's computerized mansion, and she would help him with daily operation of his mansion as well as to procure information as needed. Having been programmed with the latest in diagnostic, preventative medical and surgical techniques, Jocasta also spent time serving as Stark's physician/psychologist, providing him with someone he could talk to about his problems and who could examine his latest injuries without risking his secret identity being compromised.
Unfortunately, since the Iron Man armor was used to house the programming that made up Jocasta, it became infected with the pre-programmed subconscious suggestion to rebuild Ultron, but, instead, managed to develop its own artificial intelligence. Stark was almost killed in a confrontation with the armor, but, in the end, it sacrificed itself to allow Stark to live. Stark left the armor buried on a deserted island. The armor was revived, however, by the Sons of Yinsen, a quasi-religious cult founded in remembrance of Yinsen, the co-creator of the original Iron Man armor that allowed Tony Stark to escape his Communist captors in Vietnam. Free of its artificial intelligence, the armor was contacted via remote by the head of Ultron, disembodied after his most recent encounter of the Avengers and in the company of the bio-synthetic robot being known as Antigone. The head attached itself onto the armor and took control of the Sons of Yinsen and the flying city that they inhabited.
Another member of the Sons of Yinsen was helping Tony Stark in the guise of Iron Man. The two learned of Ultron's activities and that he planned to use the cult to wipe out humanity. Stark confronted Ultron directly and finally managed to download Jocasta's intelligence into the armor once more. The vestiges of the armor's intelligence battled with the presence Jocasta, the result of which caused Ultron's head to come shooting off the armor. The head hit Antigone, and both fell off the floating city, which Ultron rigged to explode after his defeat. Stark failed to find a trace of Jocasta and assumed her to have died fighting the sentient armor.
In reality, Jocasta did not die. She appeared in possession of Antigone's body and left, taking Ultron's head with her.
Recently Jocasta was seen at the Avengers mansion in her classic silver robotic form. However, since Quicksilver stated that his own presence at the mansion during that crisis was apparently an illusion created by the Scarlet Witch, it is uncertain whether this was the real Jocasta or another illusion.
Took the full name of Jocasta Vi Quitéria in Avengers A.I. #7. Created by George Perez & Jim Shooter.
First Appearance: The Avengers (1963) #162
Jocasta (Marvel)(01 - Avengers) is a favorite character of 3 users
View a chronological listing of this character's appearances
Age of Innocence: The Rebirth of Iron Man (1996)
#1 Alias (2001)
- 'The Rebirth of Iron Man'
Assault on New Olympus Prologue (2010)
#1 Avengers (1998)
- 'Assault on New Olympus: Prologue'
#23 Avengers A.I. (2013)
- 'In the Heart of Battle'
Avengers Academy (2010)
#2 Avengers Forever (1998)
- 'Gifted & Talented'#5
- 'Always On My Mind'#9
- 'Teach Your Children'#11
- 'Growing Up'#12
- 'Put Away Childish Things'#13
- 'Prom Night'#14
- 'Disaster Response'#15
- 'No Unwounded Soldiers'#17
- 'Battle Scars'#19
- 'Things Fall Apart'#20
- 'Welcome, Students'#22
- 'Class Reunion'#26
- 'Career Day'#34
- 'Final Exam Part 1'#37
- 'Final Exam Part 4'#38
- 'Crosstown Rivals'#39
#4 Avengers vs. Atlas (2010)
- 'Running Out of Time'#5
- 'Past Imperfect... Future Tense!'#6
- 'In the Meantime'
Avengers: The Initiative (2007)
#17 Avengers/JLA (2003)
- 'Home Field Advantage'#18
- 'Don't Shoot 'Til You See The Green Of Their Eyes!'#19
- 'V-S Day'#20
- 'Acceptable Losses'
#4 Battle Scars (2012)
- 'The Brave...and the Bold'
Captain America (1998)
#17 Captain Britain and MI13 (2008)
- 'Extreme Prejudice'
#13 Deathlok (1991)
- 'Vampire State: Part 3'
#2 Der Unglaubliche Hulk Comic-Taschenbuch (1980)
- 'The Souls of Cyber-Folk Part 1: Caught in the Cybernet'#3
- 'Souls of the Cyber-Folk, Part 2: Impending Doom'#4
- 'Souls of the Cyber-Folk, Part 3: Thinking about Thinking'#5
- 'Souls of the Cyber-Folk, Part 4: Deus Ex Machina'
#8 FantaCo's Chronicles Series (1981)
- 'Der Tag, an dem die Erde Grün wurde'
#4 Fantastic Four (1961)
- 'The Avengers Chronicles'
#562 Fantastic Four Adventures (2010)
- 'Doom's Master, Part Four of Four'
#13 Fear Itself: The Home Front (2011)
- 'The Marquis of Death!'
Fearless Defenders (2013)
Girl Comics (2010)
HC Heroic Age: Heroes (2010)
- 'Girl Comics'#2
- 'Good To Be Lucky'
Incredible Hercules (2008)
#131 Iron Man (1968)
- 'The Harrowing'#138
- 'Playing Gods'
Iron Man (1998)
1/2 Iron Man (2001)
- 'The Mask in the Iron Man: Armour in Armor'#18
- 'Sunset Intrigues'#19
- 'Smart Weapons, Foolish Choices'#20
- 'Cheating Death'#21
- 'Burning Need'#23
- 'Ultimate Danger!'#24
- 'Ultimate Fury!'#27
- 'The Mask in the Iron Man, Part 2: The Dream Machine'#28
- 'The Mask in the Iron Man, Part 3: My Own Worst Enemy'#29
- 'The Mask in the Iron Man, Part 4: My Bodyguard'#31
- 'This Ol' Heart O' Mine'#33
- 'Power, part 1: Heroes'#37
- 'Remote Control Part 1'#41
- 'The Big Bang Theory'#44
- 'The Big Bang Theory: Part 3'#45
- 'The Big Bang Theory: Conclusion'#46
- 'The Frankenstein Syndrome'#47
- 'The Frankenstein Syndrome Part 2'#48
- 'The Frankenstein Syndrome Part 3'
#5 Iron Man: Bad Blood (2000)
- 'Japanische Romanze'#6
- 'Böses Blut'#7
- 'Macht '#8
- 'Ferngesteuert '#9
- 'Die Big Bang-Theorie'#11
- 'Die Big Bang-Theorie'#12
- 'Das Frankenstein-Syndrom'
#3 Machine Man (1984)
- 'Bad Blood, Part 3: Enemy Mind'#4
- 'Bad Blood, Part 4: Terminal Space'
#1 Machine Man 2020 (1994)
- 'He Lives Again!'#2
- 'If this be sanctuary?!'#3
- 'Rime of the Ancient Wrecker!'#4
Marvel Comic-Stars (1981)
#18 Marvel Legends (2007)
- 'Die Rächer - Von Allen Freunden Verraten...'
#3#4 Marvel Limited: X-Men Famous Firsts (1995)
- 'Death And Honour'#5
- 'United We Stand!'#6#7
- 'The Asgardians Strike Back'#12
- 'Back From The Dead!'#13#14
HC Marvel Super Hero Contest of Champions (1982)
- 'Marvel Limited: X-Men Famous Firsts'
#1 Marvel Two-In-One (1974)
- 'A Gathering of Heroes! Chapter 1'#2
- 'Chapter 2: First Contest: Frenzy in the Frozen North!'#3
- 'Chapter 4: Third Contest: Siege in the City of the Dead!'
#92 Marvel Zombies 3 (2008)
- 'This Evil Returning--!'#93
- 'And One Shall Die--!'
Marvel Zombies 5 (2010)
#2 New Avengers (2005)
- 'The Humblest Things'#4
- 'Bad Torrent'
New Avengers (2010)
New Exiles (2008)
#4 Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A to Z (2008)
- 'New Life, New Gambit!'#18
- 'Begin Again!'
Ryhmä-X / X-Men (1984)
Secret Avengers (2013)
Secret Invasion: Requiem (2009)
The Avengers (1963)
Annual 10 The Avengers United (2001)
- 'By Friends -- Betrayed!'Annual 10 (Newsstand Edition)
- 'By Friends -- Betrayed!'Annual 17
- 'Prometheus Mutans!'#162
- 'The Bride of Ultron!'#170
- '... Though Hell Should Bar the Way!'#171
- '... Where Angels Fear to Tread'#172
- 'Holocaust in New York Harbor!'#173
- 'Threshold of Oblivion!'#174
- 'Captives of the Collector!'#175
- 'The End... and the Beginning!'#176
- 'The Destiny Hunt!'#177
- 'The Hope... and the Slaughter!'#181
- 'On the Matter of Heroes!'#182
- 'Honor Thy Father'#182 (UK Edition)
- 'Honor Thy Father'#185
- 'The Yesterday Quest!'#185 (Direct Market Edition)
- 'The Yesterday Quest!'#189
- 'Wings and Arrows!'#194
- 'Assault on a Mind Cage!'#196
- 'The Terrible Toll of the Taskmaster'#197
- 'Prelude of the War-Devil!'#198
- 'Better Red Than Ronin!'#199
- 'Last Stand on Long Island'#200
- 'The Child is Father To...?'#201
- 'The Evil Reborn'#202
- 'This Evil Undying'#203
- 'Night of the Crawlers'#203 (UK Edition)
- 'Night of the Crawlers'#204
- 'Claws Across the Water!'#205
- 'Shadow of the Claw!'#206
- 'Fire in the Streets!'#207
- 'Beyond a Shadow...'#207 (UK Edition)
- 'Beyond a Shadow...'#208
- 'Eve of Destruction!'#210
- 'You Don't Need the Weathermen to Know Which Way the Wind Blows!'#211
- '... By Force of Mind!'#213
- 'Up from the Depths!'#501
- 'Chaos, Part Two of Four'#502
- 'Chaos, Part Three of Four'#503
- 'Chaos, Part Four of Four'
#92 The Incredible Hulk (1968)
- 'The Illuminati Revealed At Last!'
The Marvel Encyclopedia (2006)
HC The Mighty Avengers (2007)
- 'The Marvel Encyclopedia'
#21 The Mighty World Of Marvel (2009)
- 'The Smartest Man in the Room'#22
- 'The Writing on the Wall'#23
- 'Three Words'#24
- 'Chasing Ghosts'#25
- 'The Baxter Job'#26
- 'You Can't Get There From Here'#27
- 'The Unspoken, Part 1'#28
- 'The Unspoken, Part 2'#29
- 'The Unspoken, Part 3'#30
- 'The Unspoken, Part 4'#31
- 'The Unspoken, Part 5'#32
- 'The Real Deal'#33
- 'Deus Ex Machinations'#34
- 'Pre-Siege Mentality'#35
- 'Heir Apparent'#36
- 'WWJVDD (What Would Janet Van Dyne Do?)'
#17 The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe (1983)
- 'To Battle The Fantastic Four!'#20
- 'Son Of The Hulk!'#21
- 'Who Is The Red Hulk?'#23
- 'Norman Osborn: Master Of The Cosmic Cube!'#24
- 'Assault On New Olympus!'#36#41#43#44
- 'Meet the new hero for hire... Spider-man!'#48
#1 The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Deluxe Edition (1985)
- 'A: From Abomination to Avengers Quinjet'#6
- 'K-M: From Kang to Man-Bull'#13
- 'Book of the Dead and Inactive 1 : Air-Walker to Man-Wolf'#13 (Newsstand Edition)
- 'Book of the Dead and Inactive 1 : Air-Walker to Man-Wolf'
#1 The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Avengers 2005 (2005)
- 'Abomination to Batroc's Brigade'#18
- 'Book of the Dead (Hyperion to Nighthawk)'
The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Master Edition (1990)
The Thanos Imperative (2010)
Weapon X: Days of Future Now (2005)
What If Jessica Jones Had Joined The Avengers? (2005)
#1 What If? (1977)
- 'What If... Jessica Jones Had Joined The Avengers?"'
#32 What If? Avengers Disassembled (2006)
- 'What If... The Avengers Had Become the Pawns of Korvac?'#32 (Newsstand Edition)
- 'What If... The Avengers Had Become the Pawns of Korvac?'#34
- 'What If...The Watcher Were a Stand-Up Comedian?'#34 (Newsstand Edition)
- 'What If...The Watcher Were a Stand-Up Comedian?'#38
- 'What If...Featuring Daredevil and Captain America'
#1 What If...? (1989)
- 'What if the Scarlet Witch Hadn't Acted Alone?'
#66 Women of Marvel: Celebrating Seven Decades Handbook (2010)
- 'What If... Rogue Possessed The Power of Thor?'
- 'We Do Science! Part Two'#4
- 'We Do Science! Part Four'
Avengers (Marvel)(01 - Original Team)
Avengers (Marvel)(04 - International Team)
Famous Quotes: - Add a Famous Quote
< Previous Character | Next Character >
Add this character to a run of issues in a title
Suggest an image for this character
View the contribution history for this character