Search for 'Shalla Bal' on Amazon
She is the Empress of her utopian planet, Zenn-La, and was the lover of Norrin Radd. When the planet-eating Galactus came to their planet, Norrin Radd volunteered to become the herald of Galactus in exchange for sparing Zenn-La. Norrin Radd was given the Power Cosmic and became the Silver Surfer, thus separating him from Shalla-Bal for a long time.
Eventually, the Surfer rebelled against Galactus, who trapped him on the planet Earth as a punishment. The demon Mephisto who desires to defeat the Surfer and steal his noble soul, sensed the anguish of this separation within him, and on numerous occasions used Shalla-Bal as a pawn in his conflicts with the Surfer. As part of a conspiracy Mephisto replaced the consciousness of Shalla-Bal so that she believed herself to be a regular citizen of Latveria and Dr. Doom organized a false marriage celebration with her in order to make the Surfer fight the Fantastic Four.
Meanwhile Galactus consumed the life energies of Zenn-La because of Silver Surfer's betrayal, but spared the lives of its people by warning them of his coming beforehand, allowing them to return to the lifeless husk afterwards. When Mister Fantastic freed the Surfer from his imprisonment, he returned to Zenn-La to find it in this state and learned that Shalla-Bal had been taken by the Mephisto. Finally understanding the conspiracy Surfer returned to Latveria to find Shalla-Bal meanwhile imprisoning himself once again on the Earth. The Surfer bestowed a portion of his Power Cosmic to Shalla-Bal while Mephisto was sending her back to her planet, and she was able to use this power to restore the life on Zenn-La thus being accepted as an Empress by her people. However the responsibilities of her office made Shalla-Bal refuse marriage with the Surfer when he eventually broke free from Earth for good.
After years of rejection, Shalla-Bal once became romantically involved with Fennan Radd - a man who claimed to be the Silver Surfer's half-brother by his father. Fennan claimed to have been born after Norrin's mother Elmar committed suicide.
Joe Satriani wrote a song about her : "Back to Shalla Bal" from the album Flying in a blue dream
First Appearance: Silver Surfer (1968) #1
View a chronological listing of this character's appearances
Crossover Classics (1991)
Darkseid vs. Galactus: The Hunger (1995)
#14 Defenders: From the Marvel Vault (2011)
- 'Green Lantern - Silver Surfer'
Doctor Strange, Sorcerer Supreme (1988)
#31 Fantastic Four (1961)
- 'A Gauntlet Hurled!'
#155 Fantastic Four (1968)
- 'Battle Royal!'#156
- 'Middle Game!'#157
- 'The Endeth Cometh!'
#44 Fantastic Four/Silver Surfer: The Complete Collection (2007)
- 'Combat royal!'#45
- 'Le milieu de la partie!'
Fantasy Masterpieces (1979)
#3 FF: Fifty Fantastic Years (2011)
- 'The Power And The Prize!'#4
- 'The Good, The Bad, and the Uncanny!'
From the Marvel Vault (2011)
Giant-Size Super-Villain Team-Up (1975)
#1 Green Lantern/Silver Surfer: Unholy Alliances (1995)
- 'Encounter At Land's End!'
Marvel Comic Exklusiv (1987)
#19 Marvel Comic-Stars (1981)
- 'Silver Surfer: Das Leben endet nie'
#21 Marvel Fanfare (1982)
- 'Die Rächer - Mein ist die Macht'
Marvel Klassik (1998)
Marvel Limited: Fantastic Firsts (1994)
Mighty Marvel Team-Up Thrillers (1983)
Silver Surfer (1968)
#1 Silver Surfer (1982)
- 'The Origin of the Silver Surfer!'#1 (Wal-Mart Exclusice FF2 Movie Mini-comic)
- 'The Origin of the Silver Surfer!'#2
- 'When Lands the Saucer'#3
- 'The Power and the Prize!'#4
- 'The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny!'#5
- '--And Who Shall Mourn For Him?'#6
- 'Worlds Without End!'#7
- 'The Heir of Frankenstein!'#8
- 'Now Strikes the Ghost!'#10
- 'A World He Never Made!'#11
- 'O, Bitter Victory!'#11 (Marvel Legends Reprint)
- 'O, Bitter Victory!'#16
- 'In the Hands of... Mephisto!'#17
- 'The Surfer Must Kill!'
#1 Silver Surfer (1987)
- 'Escape--to Terror!'
Annual 01Annual 04 Silver Surfer (2011)
- 'The Price of Paradise'#1
- 'Shalla Bal'#6
- 'Soul, Sweet Soul'#9
- 'Playing With Matches'#20
- 'You Say You Want Obliteration'#25
- 'Back From Black?'#26
- 'The R Complex'#28
- 'Our Complex'#30
- 'Job Hunting'#50
- 'Deeply Buried Secret'#57
- 'Princess of Zenn-La'#92
- 'Warlord of Zenn-La'#100#101
- 'The Heart is the Loneliest Place to Be'#104
- 'It's The End Of The World As We Know It'#131
- 'Farewell to the Dream'#140
- 'Sun Rise and Shadow Fall: Origins'
Silver Surfer (2014)
#1 Silver Surfer: Homecoming (1991)
- 'The Most Important Person in the Universe'#1 (3rd Printing)
- 'The Most Important Person in the Universe'
Silver Surfer: In Thy Name (2007)
TPB Silver Surfer: Requiem (2007)
- 'In Thy Name'#1
- 'In Thy Name, Part One'
#2 Silver Surfer: The Enslavers (1990)
- 'Part Two: Sanctus'#4
- 'Part Four: Agnus Dei'
Silver Surfer/Warlock: Resurrection (1993)
#1 Strange Tales II (2010)
- 'The Pact (Part 1)'#2
- 'Death's Favor (Part 2)'#3
- 'Welcome To Hades (Part 3)'#4
- 'End Game (Part 4)'
HC The Avengers (1963)
- 'Strange Tales II'#1
#215 The Defenders (1972)
- 'All the Ways of Power!'
#3 The Definitive Silver Surfer (2007)
- 'Four Against the Gods'
The Marvel Encyclopedia (2006)
HC The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Master Edition (1990)
- 'The Marvel Encyclopedia'
The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Update '89 (1989)
The Order (2002)
What If? (1977)
#34 What If...? (1989)
- 'What If...The Watcher Were a Stand-Up Comedian?'#34 (Newsstand Edition)
- 'What If...The Watcher Were a Stand-Up Comedian?'#37
- 'What If...The Beast and The Thing Continued To Mutate?'#37 (Newsstand Edition)
- 'What If...The Beast and The Thing Continued To Mutate?'
- 'What If the Silver Surfer Had Not Escaped Earth?'#22 (Newsstand Edition)
- 'What If the Silver Surfer Had Not Escaped Earth?'#49
- 'What if the Silver Surfer Possessed the Infinity Gauntlet?'#49 (Newsstand Edition)
- 'What if the Silver Surfer Possessed the Infinity Gauntlet?'#104
- 'Finders Keepers'
Famous Quotes: - Add a Famous Quote
< Previous Character | Next Character >
Add this character to a run of issues in a title
Suggest an image for this character
View the contribution history for this character