Real Name: Yohn Kohl
Search for 'Spartan (Wildstorm)' on Amazon
* Bio-Android Body: As a bio-synthetic humanoid, Spartan has been upgraded several times. Spartan is made from highly advanced Kherubim technology and is possibly one of the most sophisticated machines in the universe.
* Superhuman Strength: Spartan possesses massive superhuman strength capable of benching 60 tons of weight with seldom difficulty and nearly 70 tons with due effort. After a series of upgrades his strength level had increased by staggering amounts, initially through receiving a new kheran model body he proved capable of pumping 80 tons with minimal effort then 115 tons with exertion. Then after receiving further modification from Marlowe his strength was upped further into the upper 100 ton marker. Easily able to tear apart a Kherubim 'low-grav warcrawler' tank apart with his bare hands.
* Superhuman Durability: Spartan is not 'invulnerable' in the true sense of the word, but he is still fairly tough and difficult to injure. He is easily bulletproof and invulnerable to most conventional street weapons such as a common knife, gun, bullets etc. Armor-piercing bullets can pierce his biosynthetic flesh as well as powerful assaults from superhumans can easily damage him. Although recent upgrades to his chassis has made him tough enough to withstand stronger impacts. Ranging from surviving mortar fire from an alien tank, to standing ground against a speeding vehicle without budging. and parrying superhuman blows from the likes of Fairchild with ease.
* Superhuman Stamina: In Spartan's case, however, it's the issue of endurance and the ability to function even with considerable damage done to him. He could have both arms ripped off with holes torn through most of his body and even his head, and still be capable of functioning and pushing onward. In many ways, the only way to truly defeat Spartan is to completely destroy him and shut his systems down.
* Energy Projection: As akin to all Spartan series android's, Yohn Kohl can emit and control vast quantities of bio-plasma energy for offensive and defensive means.
* Bio-Molecular Blast: Spartan is capable of generating powerful amounts of energy and releasing them from his body in the form of explosive blasts from his hands & eyes known as bio-blasts. These powerful bursts of energy can hit with as much as 70 tons of force. Exerting as much internal power as he can spare, these blasts can reach 90 tons of force. Easily capable of shredding most alloys and leveling most things.
* Energy Enhanced Punches: Spartan can contain energy within his fists and then discharge it upon impact, multiplying the strength of his blows by about 2-4 time over.
* Plasma Shield: Spartan is capable of generating fields of plasma energy designed to protect himself and others and repel attacks against him. The field can protect him from up to 90 tons of force from both physical attacks and equivalent energy ones as well.
* Holo Projection: The ability to project holographic images.
Enhanced Senses: The body on Kheran gave him enhanced senses that allowed him to scan entire cities for specific humans. X-ray and thermal visions and other abilities that are added on and learned as time progresses.
* Enhanced Vision
* X-Ray Vision
* Thermal Vision
* Enhanced Sense of Smell
* Enhanced Hearing
* Flight: Spartan is capable of flight via the generation of an anti-gravity field about his body. His speed range is somewhere at around Mach-1 (750 mph). Although flying at top speed for extended periods of time tend to drain his energy reserves.
* Psychic Immunity: As he is a cybernetic entity, Spartan's mind simply cannot be affected to an optimal degree by telepaths. It doesn't matter how powerful you are, his brain waves and mental functions simply do not allow it. Not even Despot, the most powerful psi to ever live, was capable of mentally controlling or reading the thoughts of Spartan.
* Immortality: Spartan possesses in essence, assured immortality. If his body is destroyed or in anyway damaged beyond repair, his mind is usually immediately downloaded into another body either at HALO or on the MIRV itself for maximum memory and personality containment.
* Accelerated Healing: Spartans are also capable of self-repair so they can mend themselves after battle.
Technopathy: Spartan could wirelessly connect with any computer system and bend it to his will. He could even link up to telephone lines and answer phone calls or radio transmissions via WiFi in his networking. After the world's end event, Spartan's interfacing ability was largely diminished now he could only make machine contact with telephone and radio transmissions and could only control the few remaining Spartan guards which survived Armageddon.
*** Abilities ***
- Genius Level Intellect: Each Spartan has a "brain" more powerful than any other computer (on Earth or otherwise), is programmed to be able to use any technology it comes across. High speed CPU processors functioning at literally the speed of light, extensive files and combat data. They can also download data on his combat foes to best determine their weaknesses and defeat them.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced)
* Vulnerability to Electromagnetism: Spartan's body has a weakness to anything that can effect synthetics such as EMP pulses and/or any related superhuman ability.
John was not truly dead, as before his death, Emp copied John's personality and possibly memories, in the hopes that he could download it to a prototype Spartan android later. In the 1990's Emp had perfected the android body and started the team that would be known as the WildC.A.T.s.
In the 1930's Yon Kohl changed his name to John Colt and began a career as an adventurer and and American Hero. His abilities weren't as great as some other Kherubim on Earth (like Mr. Majestic) so many believed he was just a normal man, his abilities no more than anyone could acquire if they trained, persevered, believed in themselves, and believed in the nation. He was major John Colt, a normal American serving his country. He was a super patriot, the Captain America of the Wildstorm Universe. Because of this, he was chosen to be a member of a special team built to stop an alien menace.
The android went by the code designation of Spartan after the name of guards used on Khera, as well as the android technical designation of Hadrian. Spartan became the leader of the team, but his transference to the android body didn't take as well as would have been thought: he had no memories of his prior life or team one and even though he had Yohn Kohl/John Colt's personality, he was emotionless and acted as a robot would. With the development of the team, Spartan too developed, he even engaged in a relationship with his teammate Voodoo and his personality started to show more when the team wasn't in battle.
The team eventually would go on a mission to stop Daemonites trying to reactivate their crashed ship. In doing so they came across the Kherubim ship they had crashed in so long ago. It wasn't until the team got on the ship that they found out it was rigged to explode, to protect the Earth from the blast they flew the ship into orbit and was to believed to have died. Spartan lived but was severely damaged. He was found and repaired by Stormwatch and became a member of their team until he was destroyed.
In truth it was found that the WildC.A.T.s survived and had actually used the hyperdrive of the ship to travel to Khera. There they found out that the war with the Daemonites was over thousands of years ago and that the Kherubim had won. Ever prepared Emp had used a backup disk containing the Memory/Personality of Spartan to implant Spartan in a more powerful body using advanced Kherubim science and he acted as Emp's personal bodyguard. It was Spartan who came across the plot the Coda had to make a martyr of Zealot, in the ensuring investigation he was almost destroyed, but he was saved by the team and repaired. After becoming disgusted and disenchanted at what Khera was they went back to Earth.
Their mission after returning had them go to Gamorra Island to stop the dictator Kaizen Gamorra during the Fire From Heaven event. It was then discovered that he was the real John Colt whose body had been healed and sent to replace the captured Kaizen Gamorra. After battling Spartan Kaizen was dethroned and killed for a second time by Mr. Majestic. Interestingly enough John Colt's personality and memories were finally activated in Spartan and he began to go by that name.
The team would eventually disband after Zealot's apparent death. Emp and Spartan continued on, and eventually came into battle with the villain Kenyan. Emp wanted to have Kenyan kill him so that he could achieve ascension (the pinnacle of Kherubim evolution), believing that the released energy would kill Kenyan. Kenyan killed himself and Spartan helped Emp by taking his life, surviving due to upgrades to his android body, making him largely invulnerable. It was upon returning home that Spartan found out that Emp had left the Halo Corporation to him.
First Appearance: WildC.A.T.s: Covert Action Teams (1992) #1
Void (Wildstorm) (02 - Jack Marlowe)
Spartan (Wildstorm) is a favorite character of 6 users
View a chronological listing of this character's appearances
Alan Moore: Wild Worlds (2007)
TPB Alan Moore's The Complete WildC.A.T.s (2007)
- 'Alan Moore: Wild Worlds'
TPB Avengers (1996)
- 'Alan Moore's The Complete WildC.A.T.s'
#13 Backlash (1994)
- 'World War 3, Part 2: Winning and Losing'
#8 Badrock & Company (1994)
- 'Wildstorm Rising Part 8'
Captain America (1996)
#13 Captain Atom: Armageddon (2005)
- 'World War 3, Part 4: War Without End...'
TPB CBS Presents Action Zone (1994)
- 'Captain Atom: Armageddon'#1
- 'A Scream Across the Sky'
Coup D'Etat (2004)
Coup D'Etat: Afterword (2004)
Coup d'Etat: Wildcats Version 3.0 (2004)
#1 Cyberforce (1993)
- 'Henhouse Confidential'
#2 DC Comics/Dark Horse Comics: Aliens (2016)
- 'Killer Instinct Part 2'#3
- 'Killer Instinct Part 4'
TPB DC Universe by Alan Moore (2012)
- 'DC Comics/Dark Horse Comics: Aliens'
DC/WS DreamWar (2008)
TPB Deathmate (1993)
- 'DC / WildStorm DreamWar'#1
- 'Chimera Rising'#2
- 'First Strike'#6
- '...Perchance To Dream'
Prologue Divine Intervention/Gen13 (1999)
- 'Deathmate Prologue Chapter 1: A Love to End All Time'Yellow
- 'Jerked Through Time'
Divine Intervention/WildCats (1999)
Divine Right (1997)
TPB Fantastic Four (1996)
- 'Divine Right: The Adventures Of Max Faraday'TPB vol. 02#11
- 'Destiny Interruptus'
#13 Fire From Heaven (1996)
- 'World War 3, Part 1: Life in Wartime'
#1 Gen13 (1995)
- 'Chapter One: Gamorra Rising'#2
- 'Finale 2: Moonlight and Ashes'
#5 Gen13 Bootleg (1996)
- 'Family Feud'#11
- 'Swim Out Past the Breakers, Watch the World Die'
#9 Iron Man (1996)
- 'Grunge The Movie Part 2'
#13 Iron Man (1999)
- 'World War 3, Part 3: No Time to Mourn!'
#13 James Robinson's The Complete WildC.A.T.s (2009)
- 'Dritter Weltkrieg (3/4): Keine Zeit zu trauern!'
TPB Majestic (2005)
- 'James Robinson's The Complete WildC.A.T.s'
#5 Mars Attacks Image (1996)
- 'Dark Days and Daemon Nights'#6
- 'Friends Like These'#7
- 'Nobody But Me'#8
- 'Loose Ends'#12#13
- 'Big Day'#14
- 'T Minus'#15
- 'The Enemy of My Enemy'#16
- 'To The Death'#17
- 'The End of the Beginning'
Savage Dragon (1993)
#13 Shattered Image (1996)
- 'The Monster Within Part 2'#18
- 'Can A Hero Die?'
#2 Sleeper: Season Two (2004)
- 'Part 2 of 4'#3
- 'Part 3 of 4'#4
- 'Part 4 of 4'
Spartan: Warrior Spirit (1995)
#1 Star Wars Galaxy Magazine (1994)
- 'Devilday Part 1'#2
- 'Devilday Part 2'#3
- 'Devilday Part 3'#4
- 'Devilday Part 4'
The Authority (2008)
#1#18 The Authority Special: Coup d'Etat (2004)
- 'Homecoming, Part 1'
#3 The Kindred II (2002)
- 'Wildcats Version 3.0'
#4 The Malibu Sun (1991)
- 'Bloodlines: Part Four'
The Monarchy (2001)
#2 Union (1995)
- 'Book Two: Union City Blues'
Vanguard: Strange Visitors (1996)
Wild Times: WildC.A.T.s (1999)
WildC.A.T.s - Spartan vs. Helspont Special Edition (1995)
WildC.A.T.s Adventures (1994)
#1 WildC.A.T.S Adventures Sourcebook (1995)
- 'Dark Blade Falling'#2
- 'Heart Of Steeel'#3
- 'Cry of the Coda'#4
- 'Evil Within'#5
- 'Big Takedown'#6
- 'Lives in the Balance'#7
- 'Soul of a Giant'#8
- 'Black Razor's Edge'#10
- 'And Then There Were None'
WildC.A.T.s Sourcebook (1993)
WildC.A.T.s Trilogy (1993)
#1#2 WildC.A.T.s: Covert Action Teams (1992)
- 'Hell Hath No Fury...'#3
- 'Witches' Brew'
WildC.A.T.s/X-Men: The Modern Age (1997)
#1 WildCats (2008)
- 'A Halo 'Round the World'
#1 Wildcats Version 3.0 (2002)
- 'After the End of the World - Pt 1'#1 (Grifter Variant)
- 'After the End of the World - Pt 1'#2
- 'After the End of the World - Pt 2'#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12
- 'Cracked Halo'#13
- 'In Max We Trust'#15
- 'Left Behind'#16
- 'Family Meeting'#17
- 'The Truth Hurts'#19
- 'Red Blade, 1 of 3: Red Dawn'#20#21
- 'Red Blade 3 of 3: Red Reign'#22
- 'The Protectorate Part 1 of 3: Groundwork'#24
- 'The Protectorate'#25
- 'The Protectorate Part 3 of 3: Knock Down, Drag Out'#26
- 'Desert Storms'#27
- 'Bad Medicine 1 of 4: The Broken Heart of the World'#28
- 'Bad Medicine Part 2 of 4: Firebreak'#29
- 'Bad Medicine Part 3 of 4: Change'#30
- 'Bad Medicine Part 4 of 4: In Practice'
TPB vol. 01 Wildcats: Armageddon (2008)
- 'Year One'TPB vol. 02
- 'Year Two'#1
- 'Brand Building'#2
- 'Tyranny In Minor Keys'#3
- 'Chrysalis & Counting'#4
- 'Pearl Necklace'#6
- 'A Month In the Life'#7
- 'Cold Medicine'#8
- 'Suspicion Threshold'#10
- 'New Grifter's Night Out'#11
- 'The Night the Lights Went Out in Garfield'#12
- 'Level One Effect'#19
- 'The Shot Heard...'#21
- 'The Archduke Is Dead'#22
- 'Holiday on Hamburger Hill'#24
- 'Hanging From The Helicopters'
WildCats: Mosaic (2000)
Wildstorm Revelations (2008)
#6 Wildstorm Rising (1995)
- 'Part Six: Fear the Reaper or... This is THE END, Beautiful Friends...'
Wildstorm Spotlight (1997)
Wildstorm Summer Special (2001)
Wildstorm Swimsuit Special (1994)
WildStorm Universe (2009)
Wildstorm Universe 97 (1996)
Wildstorm Universe Sourcebook (1995)
Wildstorm: After the Fall (2010)
TPB Wildstorm! (1995)
- 'WildStorm: After the Fall'
Wizard Ace Edition (1996)
Famous Quotes: - Add a Famous Quote
< Previous Character | Next Character >
Add this character to a run of issues in a title
Suggest an image for this character
View the contribution history for this character