Hobgoblin (Marvel)(02 - Roderick Kingsley)
Real Name: Roderick Kingsley.
Search for 'Hobgoblin (Marvel)(02 - Roderick Kingsley)' on Amazon
In the beginning of his career Kingsley had no superhuman abilities, but possessed a keen analytical intellect with enough knowledge of chemistry and biology to understand the notes of Norman Osborn regarding the Green Goblin Formula and other inventions to the extent that Kingsley was eventually able to complete Norman's work and even improved many of Osborn's various inventions. He also had expertise in areas outside of the original Green Goblin's knowledge. Kingsley was a master of hypnosis and drug induced mind control. Kingsley was highly skilled in the management of both criminal organizations and legally run professional businesses. He was also a talented fashion designer.
Due to the green chemical that he bathed in, Kingsley possesses superhuman strength similar to that of Spider-Man. His reflexes, speed, and stamina are also enhanced to superhuman levels, as well as his intelligence, but at an extraordinary level. He was actually physically stronger than the original Green Goblin in the beginning, because of longer exposure to the formula. The derivative of the Green Goblin formula Kingsley used did not apparently drive him as insane as the original formula did to Norman Osborn, thanks to some certain modifications, though both Kingsley and his brother did at times worry that he had indeed developed insanity.
He is armed with a variety of bizarre incendiary devices and uses a Goblin Glider as a personal transport. It can reach high velocities and is extremely maneuverable.
The original Hobgoblin, Roderick Kingsley, was an enemy of Spider-Man and for a large portion of his criminal career, he initially had no superhuman powers, though he did acquire them later. Of all of Spider-Man's enemies who tried to adopt Norman Osborn's legacy, only Kingsley came close to being as threatening and dangerous as the original Green Goblin. He wore a variant of the Green Goblin's costume distinguished by a hood, cape and a different color scheme.
Upon examining the lair and gleaning the secrets within it, Kingsley decided to adopt the legacy of the Green Goblin almost in its entirety. Using the Green Goblin's equipment, Kingsley adopted the identity of the Hobgoblin (which should not be confused with the second Green Goblin who was Harry Osborn). His activities included using some of Norman Osborn's files on prominent figures to blackmail them, and attempting to buy Osborn's old corporation and merge it with his own. These schemes inevitably brought him into conflict with Spider-Man. Kingsley perceived Spider-Man as a nuisance and sought to eliminate him almost as an afterthought, rather than a principal goal. Kingsley also found among Norman's notes incomplete remnants of the strength enhancing potion of Norman Osborn. He became obsessed with finding the complete formula or perfecting the incomplete notes. In his various criminal activities Kingsley repeatedly lost to the web-slinger, as he lacked the raw physical power of Spider-Man.
Persistent and extremely intelligent, Kingsley eventually recovered the strength-enhancing potion he sought. Being well aware that the formula had driven Osborn insane, Kingsley was not about to try it until he had tested it on someone else. He tricked a small-time hood in his employ, Lefty Donovan, into administering the formula and then used mind control to force Donovan to fight Spider-Man in the Hobgoblin costume. From a distance, Kingsley carefully monitored Donovan's vital signs and behavior. When Spider-Man overwhelmed and unmasked Donovan, and his brainwashing begin to fail, Kingsley acted quickly to protect his identity by programming Donovan's glider to crash, instantly killing him. Though Donovan's tenure as a Hobgoblin was brief, he is considered the second Hobgoblin. Judging that the experiment was a success, Kingsley then immersed himself in his completed derivative of the Goblin formula and gained slightly greater strength than even the original Green Goblin had.
Now that he had become a physical match for Spider-Man, the Hobgoblin became more ambitious in his villainy. Despite his increased abilities, he was still narrowly defeated by Spider-Man. Worse still, he seemed to have attracted the attention of powerful criminal interests who perceived him as a threat, among these the infamous Wilson Fisk, the Kingpin of Crime. After a bitter encounter with Spider-Man, Kingsley discovered he had been followed by Daily Bugle reporter Ned Leeds, who had discovered his lair. Kingsley carefully brainwashed Ned Leeds with hypnosis and hallucinogenics into becoming the third Hobgoblin, who acted in concert with Kingsley. Though Leeds lacked superhuman strength, he was effective in his role due to his investigative skills (in fact, he was more effective than the Hobgoblin IV after he had acquired superhuman abilities). Kingsley also discovered that Leeds had been working with the Kingpin's son, Richard Fisk, on a plan to bring down the Kingpin and his empire. Richard Fisk had now adopted the identity of the Rose and posed as a crimelord. Kingsley used Leeds to handle some of the negotiations, fooling many into believing that Leeds was the Hobgoblin. He hoped to use the Kingpin's downfall as an opportunity to advance his own interests.
First Appearance: The Amazing Spider-Man (1963) #238
Devil-Spider (01 - Roderick Kingsley)
Hobgoblin (Marvel)(02 - Roderick Kingsley) is a favorite character of 13 users
View a chronological listing of this character's appearances
Amazing Spider-Girl (2006)
#16 Avengers/JLA (2003)
- 'Broken Bonds'#17
- 'A Matter Of Trust!'
#4 Code of Honor (1997)
- 'The Brave...and the Bold'
#3 Dark Reign: The Goblin Legacy (2009)
- 'Book Three: The Streets'
Die Spinne (1980)
#112 Doctor Doom's Revenge (1989)
- 'Das Geheimnis des Schwarzen Kostüms'#116
- 'Der Puma Schlägt Zu!'#118
- 'Lebendige Vergangenheit'#119
- 'Die Herausforderung des Gnoms'#120
- 'Die Sünden Der Väter'#136
- 'Der Gnom ist Wieder Da!'#148
- 'Der Kingpin kehrt Zurück'
#1 Doctor Strange, Sorcerer Supreme (1988)
- 'Dr. Doom's Revenge'
#11 Hämähäkkimies / Spider-Man (1980)
- 'The Hobgoblin of Little Minds'
L'étonnant Spider-Man (1969)
#141/142 L'Uomo Ragno (1987)
- 'Fantome des fautes passees'#147/148
- 'Le Sinistre secret du nouveau costume de Spider-Man'#164
- 'Le souvenir de tous mes passes!'#166
- 'Les fautes de mon pere!'#180
- 'Le choix et le defi!'#181
- 'Enfin demasque!?'#183
- 'Si c`est la justice...'#185
- 'Le Sinistre Syndicat'#186
- 'Quand les guerriers s`affrontent...!'#188
- 'Avec de tels ennemis...'#189
- '...Et qui leur resistera...?'#190
- 'Arranger doit mourrir!'#191
- 'Le fils de ton pere!!'
#32 Marvel 1985 (2008)
- 'Il sacrificio e l'inganno'#37
- 'La sfida di Hobgoblin'#72
Marvel Age (1983)
Marvel Annual & Quarterly Reports (1992)
#3 Marvel Fanfare (1982)
- 'Marvel 1993 Annual Report'
Marvel Hit-Comic (1989)
#11 Marvel Super Hero Island Adventures (1999)
- 'Die Fantastischen Vier'
Marvel Tales (1964)
#257 Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Spider-Man 2004 (2004)
- 'Shadow Of Evils Past!'#258
- 'Even A Ghost Can Fear The Night!'#271
- 'Beware the Claws of Puma!'#272
- 'The Sinister Secrets of Spider-Man's New Costume!'#275
- 'The Sins of My Father'#276
- 'The Spectacular Spider-Kid!'#283
- 'To challenge the Beyonder!'#284#286
- 'If This Be Justice--'#286 (Regular version)
- 'If This Be Justice--'#288
- 'The Sinister Syndicate!'#289
Power Pack (1984)
Ramos art-n-out Hip Sketchbook (2010)
Scholastic Spider-Man Encyclopedia (2006)
TPB Secret Wars II (1985)
- 'Spider-Man Encyclopedia'
#7 Spectacular Spider-Girl (2010)
- 'Charge of the Dark Brigade!'
#100 Spider-Island: Deadly Foes (2011)
- 'If Death Be My Destiny'
#4 Spider-Man and Zoids (1986)
- 'Süsses oder Saures'#49
#5 Spider-Man Comics Weekly (UK) (1973)
- 'Red Reason, Blue Murder'#7
- 'Out on a Limb'#9
- 'Suicide Gambit'#10
- 'Altered States!'#13
- 'Fever Dreams'#14
- 'Fever Nightmares!'#15
- 'The Krark Offensive'#29
Spider-Man: Hobgoblin Lives (1997)
#1 Spider-Man: National Committee for Prevention of Child Abuse (1987)
- 'Back in Business'#3
Spider-Man: The Osborn Journal (1997)
#1 Spider-Man: The Parker Years (1995)
- 'The Osborn Journal'
Superheroes: The Heroic Visions of Boris Vallejo and Julie Bell (2000)
Superior Spider-Man (2013)
#15 The Amazing Spider-Man (1963)
- 'Run Goblin, Run! Part 1: The Tinkerer's Apprentice'#24
- 'Darkest Hours, Part 3: The Superior Venom'#25
- 'Darkest Hours, Part 4: Conclusion'#26
- 'Goblin Nation, Prelude: Goblin Wars'
Annual 26 The Astonishing Spider-Man (2007)
- 'The Hero Killers, Part One: Fortune and Steel'TPB
- 'The Saga of the Alien Costume'#238
- 'Shadow of Evils Past!'#239
- 'Now Strikes The Hobgoblin!'#244
- 'Sacrifice Play'#249
- 'Even A Ghost Can Fear The Night!'#257
- 'Beware the Claws of Puma!'#258
- 'The Sinister Secret Of Spider-Man's New Costume!'#259
- 'All My Pasts Remembered!'#260
- 'The Challenge Of Hobgoblin!'#261
- 'The Sins Of My Father!'#263
- 'The Spectacular Spider-Kid!'#275
- 'The Choice And The Challenge!'#276
- 'If This Be Justice--'#280
- 'The Sinister Syndicate!'#281
- 'When Warriors Clash--!'#283
- 'With Foes Like These...'#284
- '... And Who Shall Stand Against Them...?'#285
- 'The Arranger Must Die!'#286
- 'Thy Father's Son'#287
- '...And There Shall Come A Reckoning'#288
- 'Gang War Rages On!'#372
- 'Invasion of the Spider-Slayers, Part 5: Arachnophobia Too!'#648#694
- 'Alpha: Part Three - Final Grade'#695
- 'Danger Zone Part One: Warning Signs'#696
- 'Danger Zone Part Two: Key to the Kingdom'#697
- 'Danger Zone Part Three: War of the Goblins'#700.2
- 'Frost Part Two'
#47 The Astonishing Spider-Man (2009)
- 'Shocking Revelation! Spider-Man... Unmasked!'#48
- 'The Deadly Foes Of... Peter Parker!'#49
- 'Villains Unleashed!'#52
- 'Trapped In The Fear Factory!'#53
- 'Spider-Man Vs Captain America!'#58
- 'The Final Battle!'
#61#97 The Exploits of Spider-Man (1992)
- 'War of the Hobgoblins!'
The Marvel Encyclopedia (2006)
HC The Marvel Masterpieces Collection (1993)
- 'The Marvel Encyclopedia'
The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe (1983)
The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Deluxe Edition (1985)
#5 The Savage Dragon (1993)
- 'Gardener to the Hulk'
The Sensational She-Hulk (1989)
#29 The Spectacular Spider-Man (1976)
- 'The Fourth Wall -- and Beyond!'#30
- 'A Change of State, Part 2'
#85 The Vault of Michael Allred (2006)
- 'The Hatred of the Hobgoblin!'#90
- 'Where, Oh Where Has My Spider-Man Gone...?'#116
- '102 Uses For a Dead Cat'#130
- '24 Hours'#260
- 'Goblins At The Gate, Part 2 - Spider In The Middle'#261
- 'Goblins At The Gate, Part 3 - Bad Business'
Web of Spider-Man (1985)
Famous Quotes: - Add a Famous Quote
< Previous Character | Next Character >
Add this character to a run of issues in a title
Suggest an image for this character
View the contribution history for this character