Grifter (Wildstorm)(01 - Cole Cash)
Real Name: Cole Cash
Search for 'Grifter (Wildstorm)(01 - Cole Cash)' on Amazon
As a result of the Gen-factor exposure, Grifter had strong powers of telekinesis and telepathy. These powers began to burn out over the years and by the time of the Dead Reckoning mission, his telepathic assault was only enough to give an enemy agent a bloody nose. His Coda-training sealed his psionic powers away, but he can still use them under certain circumstances (usually the presence of another Team 7 member so that they can combine their powers). A side-effect of his Gen-factor exposure seems to be accelerated healing. He once recovered from a broken neck and his shattered legs healed without any scars, but these powers are unpredictable at best. This healing factor also appears to have slowed his aging. He was the youngest member of Team 7, and though over 20 years have past since his exposure to the Gen-Factor, he still has the appearance and vitality of a man in his mid-to late 20's.
His Coda-training has honed his senses so that he can detect the presence of other living beings near him. It also made him highly resistant to interrogations and mind-altering drugs.
Apart from these superhuman powers, Cole is an amazing marksman with both firearms and thrown weapons. He has single-handedly taken down large groups of armed opponents.
There are various accounts of Cole's early youth: in Gen 12 his father died while he was still young and Cole and his brother Max were raised by their mother and abusive stepfather, with his mother dying when Cole was already an adult. In Point Blank his mother died while he was still young and he and his brother were raised by their father. It is certain though, that Cole left his family while still a teenager and turned to crime to survive. Despite being a criminal, Cole had his own code of honor and stopped one of his partners in crime from shooting at the police. Cole was arrested and offered a second chance. He was enlisted by International Operations and turned out to be a gifted marksman and an excellent soldier.
 Team 7
Cole Cash's natural talent for combat landed him in black ops, taking the dirtiest jobs as part of a squad known as Team 7 (which also included John "Topkick" Lynch, Marc "Backlash" Slayton, Jackson "Arclight" Dane, Philip "Bulleteer" Chang, Stephen "Wraparound" Callahan, Alex "Slaphammer" Fairchild and Michael "Deathblow" Cray). Cash's codename during these operations was Deadeye. The group was deliberately exposed to an experimental chemical called the Gen Factor, which activated a variety of psi powers in them (in Deathblow's case, this did not happen until twenty years later), but which also detrimentally affected their sense of morality and mental health. After the experiment the survivors were classified as Gen 12. Some of their teammates went mad or committed suicide. Cole suspects that in fact their own superiors, International Operations (I.O.), were behind the experiment, while their superiors claimed that it was an unknown chemical weapon. Cole grew more and more disgruntled with I.O.'s manipulations and secrecy and rebelled against team-leader John Lynch. Cash took charge and united the team's mental powers against a nuclear weapon that I.O. team-leader Miles Craven fired at Team 7 as a test. Team 7 went into hiding, but was eventually forced to return to I.O. One of the many missions Team 7 performed was destroying the dictatorship of a small African country. Andrew Johnson, one of the members, goes mad and glories in his ability to make people commit suicide. Disgusted, Cole kills Johnson. (Team 7 #1-4)
 The Coda
When the powers of many of Team 7's members started to wane, Craven became interested in their children, the Genął, who should have inherited their fathers' powers. Most of the team went into hiding again, while others stayed with I.O. The team finally fell apart and Cole came to work as an assassin for International Operations (I.O.), but he soon became disenchanted with them too. He went freelance, and it was during this period of his life he encountered the ancient Kherubim warrior Zealot. They fell in love, and she took the unprecedented measure of teaching him, a male, the ways of the Coda, the warrior order she had once belonged to. Her Coda-teachings stabilized Cole's sanity and locked away what remained of his psionic powers. (Team 7: Objective Hell #1-3, Team 7: Dead Reckoning #1-4 and Gen 12)
 The Wild C.A.T.s
Some time later Cole and Zealot broke up; for Zealot it was just another relationship, but Cole had become devoted to her, being eternally grateful to her for restoring his sanity. However they remained on good terms, and both were recruited to become part of Lord Emp's Daemonite hunting team, the WildC.A.T.s. Grifter later quit the team when they had to ally with Hightower, a Daemonite who had killed Grifter's friend Lonely. He rejoined when the team came back from Khera, even being the team's leader for some time. During this time Max Cash, his younger brother, was killed, came back as a zombie and was killed again by Grifter himself. He left the team again after Zealot's apparent death. At this point most of his teammates left as well and the WildC.A.T.s were disbanded. (WildC.A.T.s volume 1 and Grifter)
 The Wildcats
Months later he joined the Wildcats, a small group that included Lord Emp, Spartan and the French weapons dealer known as Noir. During a fight with Kenyan, he found out that the villain knew something about Zealot's death. After the madman's plan was twarted, Grifter decided to do some work of his own in order to find his enemy. He used Noir's technological expertise and Spartan's access to the Halo's mainframe in order to track Kenyan and the missing Emp down. There, Kenyan killed himself.
After Emp's ascension, Grifter sank into a depression, he began drinking and having one-night stands with women who reminded him of Zealot. Finally Zealot herself returned, but at the time Grifter was too drunk to recognise her. After a night of sex, Zealot left him before Grifter realised who she was. He caught up with her again while she was fighting the Coda. Zealot told him that the Coda had betrayed her teachings and she had sworn to wipe them all out. She added that she would spare Grifter, despite being Coda-trained, because of their history. After this meeting, Grifter straightened out his life and joined Jack Marlowe's (Spartan) Halo Corporation. (Wildcats volume 2)
During this time Cole was mind-controlled by the villain Tao into shooting his former teammate and current I.O. director, John Lynch, leaving him in a coma. Tao then erased Cole's memories of these events. (Point Blank #1-5)
 Edward Dolby, Grifter II
During a mission for Jack Marlowe, Cole's legs were shattered by Agent Orange. Therefore he could no longer operate as Marlowe's field agent. He trained accountant Edwin Dolby (Grifter II) to take his place. Dolby turned out to be unsuitable for the violent life that Grifter planned for him and resigned from Halo. After Marlowe apologized to him, he rejoined, but strictly as an accountant. Grifter remodeled the robotic body of former teammate Ladytron as a remote-controlled body for himself. (Wildcats 3.0)
Several months later, Grifter's legs were healed, a side-effect of the dormant Gen-factor according to I.O. scientists. John Lynch, who had woken from his coma, restored Cole's memory. Cole was sent to take down Tao and working together with double-agent Holden Carver, Tao's organisation was completely dismantled and Tao was imprisoned. (Sleeper Volume 2)
Since then he has joined a make-shift team of former Wildcats to take down the assassin Nemesis. (Wildcats: Nemesis)
 The future?
In the series Captain Atom: Armageddon Jack Marlowe (Spartan) has died and Cole has taken control of Halo Corporation and all its assets. In issue #8 of the series Cole was killed by Apollo and Midnighter of the Authority, but was revived along with the rest of the WildStorm universe in the event dubbed WorldStorm.
 WildCats vol. 4
The new WildCats series has shown Cole to be a man who has attempted to change himself, but keeps getting sucked back in to the hero lifestyle. He appears to be an employee of Hadrian as a core member of the new WildCats team that he is assembling.
 Grifter & Midnighter
In March 2007 a mini-series, Grifter & Midnighter was launched, charting the team up between Grifter and Midnighter, written by Chuck Dixon, with art by Ryan Benjamin.
During World War II, Team Zero, a precursor of Team 7 was formed. This team had a member codenamed Grifter and a member codenamed Deadeye. Team Zero's Grifter, William S. Miller is a gambler and a corporal, formerly a 1st lieutenant, formerly a tech sergeant and formerly a 2nd lieutenant. His specialty is requisitions and as his demotions hint at, most of those requisitions are illegal. Team Zero's Deadeye is sergeant Samuel (Saito) Nakadai. He is the team's sniper. There has been some tension in the group because of Nakadai's Japanese origin. Neither Miller nor Nakadai seem to be related to Cole Cash in any way. (Team Zero)
Code-named Dead Eye while a member of Team 7.
First Appearance: WildC.A.T.s: Covert Action Teams (1992) #1
Grifter (Wildstorm)(01 - Cole Cash) is a favorite character of 24 users
View a chronological listing of this character's appearances
#6 52 (2006)
- 'From Here to Alternity!'
Absolute WildC.A.T.S by Jim Lee (2018)
Alan Moore: Wild Worlds (2007)
TPB Alan Moore's The Complete WildC.A.T.s (2007)
- 'Alan Moore: Wild Worlds'
TPB Avengers (1996)
- 'Alan Moore's The Complete WildC.A.T.s'
#13 Backlash (1994)
- 'World War 3, Part 2: Winning and Losing'
#8 Badrock & Company (1994)
- 'Wildstorm Rising Part 8'#16
#5 Captain America (1996)
- 'Emotional Rescue'#6
#13 Captain Atom: Armageddon (2005)
- 'World War 3, Part 4: War Without End...'
TPB CBS Presents Action Zone (1994)
- 'Captain Atom: Armageddon'#1
- 'A Scream Across the Sky'#2
- 'Brave New World'#3
- 'Power Struggle'#4
- 'Fight Scene'#5
- 'No Exit'#6
- 'Sometimes When We Touch...'#7
- 'Who Says The World Needs Saving?'#8
- 'Lessons in Nuclear Physics'#9
- 'The End'
#41 Countdown Presents: The Search for Ray Palmer (2008)
- 'Another Fine Mess'
TPB Countdown Presents: The Search for Ray Palmer: Wildstorm (2007)
- 'Countdown Presents: The Search for Ray Palmer'
Coup D'Etat (2004)
Coup D'Etat: Afterword (2004)
Coup d'Etat: Wildcats Version 3.0 (2004)
#1 Crossover Classics (1991)
- 'Henhouse Confidential'
#2 DC Comics/Dark Horse Comics: Aliens (2016)
- 'Killer Instinct Part 2'#3
- 'Killer Instinct Part 4'
TPB DC/WS DreamWar (2008)
- 'DC Comics/Dark Horse Comics: Aliens'
TPB Deathblow (1993)
- 'DC / WildStorm DreamWar'#3
- 'Bad To The Bone'#6
- '...Perchance To Dream'
Divine Intervention/Gen13 (1999)
Divine Intervention/WildCats (1999)
Divine Right (1997)
TPB DV8 (1996)
- 'Divine Right: The Adventures Of Max Faraday'TPB vol. 02#11
- 'Destiny Interruptus'
#17 Eye of the Storm (2003)
- 'Same As It Ever Was'#31
- 'Things Fall Apart, Part 2: Trust'
Fantastic Four (1996)
#13 Fire From Heaven (1996)
- 'World War 3, Part 1: Life in Wartime'
#1 Flashpoint (2011)
- 'Chapter One: Gamorra Rising'
Flashpoint: Lois Lane and the Resistance (2011)
#2 Flashpoint: The Outsider (2011)
- 'Live and Exclusive'#3
- 'Kill The Story'
#2 Flashpoint: The World of Flashpoint (2011)
- 'Part Two: Once Upon A Time In The East'
#2 Flashpoint: The World of Flashpoint Featuring Superman (2012)
- 'This Is The World We Made'#3
- 'This is the World We Hope For'
TPB Flashpoint: The World of Flashpoint Featuring Wonder Woman (2012)
- 'Flashpoint: The World of Flashpoint Featuring Superman'
TPB Gen13 (1995)
- 'Flashpoint: The World of Flashpoint Featuring Wonder Woman'
#5 Gen13 (1997)
- 'Family Feud'#10
- 'Rumble in Gamorra!'#11
- 'Swim Out Past the Breakers, Watch the World Die'#22
- 'Life in the Big City'#24
- 'Judgment Day'#29
- 'A Firm Grip on Reality'#34
- 'Death and the Broken Promise, Part Three'
Gen13 Bootleg (1996)
#9 Grifter (1995)
- 'Grunge The Movie Part 2'
#1 Grifter (1996)
- 'Wildstorm Rising, Chapter Five'#2#3#4#5#6#7
- 'City of Angels Part 1'#8
- 'City of Angels Part 2'#9
- 'City of Angels Part 3'#10
- 'City of Angels Part 4'
Grifter & Midnighter (2007)
#1 Grifter and the Mask (1996)
- 'Uncivil Union, Part 1'#2
- 'Uncivil Union, Part 2'#3
- 'Uncivil Union, Part 3'#4
- 'Uncivil Union, Part 4'#5
- 'Uncivil Union, Part 5'#6
- 'Uncivil Union, Part 6'
#1 Grifter: One Shot (1995)
- 'Cleaving Las Vegas, Part 1'#2
- 'Cleaving Las Vegas, Part 2'
Hero Illustrated Special Edition (1993)
Iron Man (1996)
#13 Iron Man (1999)
- 'World War 3, Part 3: No Time to Mourn!'
#13 James Robinson's The Complete WildC.A.T.s (2009)
- 'Dritter Weltkrieg (3/4): Keine Zeit zu trauern!'
TPB JLA/WildC.A.T.s ''Crime Machine'' (1997)
- 'James Robinson's The Complete WildC.A.T.s'
Mars Attacks Image (1996)
Number of the Beast (2008)
#8 Point Blank (2002)
- 'Verse Eight: The Late Great Planet Earth'
Savage Dragon (1993)
#13 Shattered Image (1996)
- 'The Monster Within Part 2'
#2 Shi/Cyblade: The Battle for Independents (1995)
- 'Part 2 of 4'#4
- 'Part 4 of 4'
Sleeper: Season Two (2004)
TPB vol. 03 Spartan: Warrior Spirit (1995)
- 'A Crooked Line'TPB vol. 04
- 'The Long Way Home'#5
- 'Cat's Cradle'#9
- 'Deja Vu All Over Again'#10
- 'Good Offenses'#11
- 'In the Crossfire'#12
- 'Heroes and Villains'
#1 Spawn/WildC.A.T.s (1996)
- 'First Chapter'#3
- 'Third Chapter'#4
- 'Chapter Fourth'
#1 Star Wars Galaxy Magazine (1994)
- 'Devilday Part 1'#2
- 'Devilday Part 2'#3
- 'Devilday Part 3'#4
- 'Devilday Part 4'
Stormwatch: P.H.D. (2007)
Stormwatch: Team Achilles (2002)
#201 Supreme (1992)
- 'Strange New Visitor, Part 3'
Team 7 (1994)
#1 Team 7: Dead Reckoning (1996)
- 'Gone Animal'#2
- 'The Damned Don't Die'#3
- 'The Furious'
#1 Team 7: Objective: Hell (1995)
- 'Part One: Don't Look Back'#2
- 'Part Two: Accidentally Like a Martyr'#3
- 'Park Three: The Deadly Breed'#4
- 'Part Four: The Fifth Corner of the World'
#1 Team X/Team 7 (1996)
- 'Part One: The Wolves'#2
- 'Part Two: Deadlands'#3
- 'Part Three: House of Fire'
The Authority (2008)
#1#10#18 The Authority Special: Coup d'Etat (2004)
- 'Homecoming, Part 1'#19
- 'Destination Unknown'#20
- 'Mondregon Part 2'#25
- 'This is Gonna Suck'#26
- 'Slaughter Moon'#28
- 'Fight And Flight'#29
- 'Change, Not Die'
#3 The Flash: A Celebration of 75 Years (2015)
- 'Wildcats Version 3.0'
HC The Kindred (1994)
- 'The Flash: A Celebration of 75 Years'
The Kindred II (2002)
#1 The Malibu Sun (1991)
- 'Bloodlines: Part One'#2
- 'Bloodlines: Part Two'#3
- 'Bloodlines: Part Three'#4
- 'Bloodlines: Part Four'
The Monarchy (2001)
#2 Union (1995)
- 'Book Two: Union City Blues'#11
- 'Book 11: The Idiot's Guide to the Death of the World, Part 2 of 3: Bellerophon'
Voodoo - Zealot: Skin Trade (1995)
#8#42 Wetworks (2006)
- 'Flash Back, Part One'
Wild Times: Grifter (1999)
#1 Wild Times: WildC.A.T.s (1999)
- 'Just Another Chicago Grifter'
WildC.A.T.s Adventures (1994)
#1 WildC.A.T.S Adventures Sourcebook (1995)
- 'Dark Blade Falling'#2
- 'Heart Of Steeel'#3
- 'Cry of the Coda'#4
- 'Evil Within'#5
- 'Big Takedown'#6
- 'Lives in the Balance'#7
- 'Soul of a Giant'#8
- 'Black Razor's Edge'#10
- 'And Then There Were None'
WildC.A.T.s Sourcebook (1993)
WildC.A.T.s Trilogy (1993)
#1#2 WildC.A.T.s: Covert Action Teams (1992)
- 'Hell Hath No Fury...'#3
- 'Witches' Brew'
Annual 01Special 1 WildC.A.T.S./X-Men: The Silver Age (1998)
- 'Destiny's Hand'TPB
- 'Homecoming'TPB (1st Printing - Image Edition)
- 'Gang War'TPB (2nd Printing - 1st DC Edition)
- 'Gang War'#0#1
- 'Resurrection Day'#1 (3-D Special)
- 'Resurrection Day'#1 (Gold Edition)
- 'Resurrection Day'#2
- 'Killer Instinct Prologue: First Blood'#6
- 'Killer Instinct Crossover: Part 1'#7
- 'Killer Instinct Chapter Three: Showdown'#8
- 'Down Time / Passed Lives'#11
- 'Gateway Part II/ Interlude: Mr Majestic'#12
- 'A Gathering of Eagles'#13
- 'End Program'#17#18
- 'Hard Hunt/ Wedding Day Jitters'#19
- 'HARD HUNT/ Wing and a Prayer'#20#25
- 'Catfight!'#25 (Newsstand Cover Price Variant)
- 'Taking Leave: Part One'#36
- 'Taking Leave: Part Two'#37
- 'Survival of the Species Part One: Hunting Season'#38
- 'Survival of the Species Part Two: Hits and Mythos!'#39
- 'Survival of the Species Part Three: Predator & Prey!'#40
- 'Survival of the Species Part Four: Fight or Flight!'#41
- 'Endangered Species Part One : For Whom The Bell Tolls...'#42
- 'Endangered Species Part Two: Brothers in Arms'#43
- 'The High Road To China'#44
- 'Paradise Lost'#45
- 'Circus Maximus'#46#47
- 'Memories of Tomorrow'#48
- 'When Worlds Collide'#49
- 'When Worlds Collide Part 2'#50
WildC.A.T.s/X-Men: The Modern Age (1997)
WildC.A.T.s/X-Men: The Silver Age (1997)
#1 WildCats (2008)
- 'A Halo 'Round the World'
#1 Wildcats Version 3.0 (2002)
- 'After the End of the World - Pt 1'#1 (Grifter Variant)
- 'After the End of the World - Pt 1'#2
- 'After the End of the World - Pt 2'#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12
- 'Cracked Halo'#13
- 'In Max We Trust'#15
- 'Left Behind'#16
- 'Family Meeting'#17
- 'The Truth Hurts'#30
- 'Bad Medicine Part 4 of 4: In Practice'
TPB vol. 01 Wildcats: Armageddon (2008)
- 'Year One'TPB vol. 02
- 'Year Two'#1
- 'Brand Building'#2
- 'Tyranny In Minor Keys'#3
- 'Chrysalis & Counting'#4
- 'Pearl Necklace'#6
- 'A Month In the Life'#7
- 'Cold Medicine'#8
- 'Suspicion Threshold'#9
- 'Full Disclosure'#10
- 'New Grifter's Night Out'#11
- 'The Night the Lights Went Out in Garfield'#12
- 'Level One Effect'#19
- 'The Shot Heard...'#21
- 'The Archduke Is Dead'#22
- 'Holiday on Hamburger Hill'#24
- 'Hanging From The Helicopters'
WildCats: Mosaic (2000)
Wildcats: Nemesis (2005)
TPB Wildstorm Chamber of Horrors (1995)
- 'The Art of Living Dangerously'#2#3
- 'The Dark Side of the Blade'#4
- 'The Dark Side of the Blade'#5
- 'The Nemesis Affair'#7
- 'Hell is for Heroes'#8
- 'By The Sword!'#9
- 'Love's a Bitch!'
Wildstorm Rarities (1994)
Wildstorm Revelations (2008)
#4 Wildstorm Rising (1995)
- 'Part Four: Generation Gap'#5
- 'Part Five: Truth or Consequences or... Things Fall Apart...'
Wildstorm Swimsuit Special (1994)
Wildstorm Thunderbook (2000)
WildStorm Universe (2009)
Wildstorm Universe 97 (1996)
Wildstorm Universe Sourcebook (1995)
Wildstorm: A Celebration of 25 Years (2017)
HC Wildstorm: After the Fall (2010)
- 'Wildstorm: A Celebration of 25 Years'
TPB Wildstorm! (1995)
- 'WildStorm: After the Fall'
Wizard Ace Edition (1996)
X-Men/WildC.A.T.s: The Dark Age (1998)
Team 7 (DC)(Flashpoint)
Team 7 (Wildstorm)
Famous Quotes: - Add a Famous Quote
< Previous Character | Next Character >
Add this character to a run of issues in a title
Suggest an image for this character
View the contribution history for this character