Dr. Kavita Rao (Marvel)
Search for 'Dr. Kavita Rao (Marvel)' on Amazon
Dr. Kavita Rao is a world-renowned geneticist from India who developed a serum (later called "Hope") which could "cure" mutants, turning them into normal humans. She explains that she regards the mutant gene as a 'corruption' of healthy tissue, and justifies her research by looking at mutants who committed suicide or hurt others because of their powers, such as a female mutant with a butterfly-like appearance or Tildie Soames (a child whose nightmares can manifest into monsters).
Hundreds of mutants immediately signed up for the procedure at Benetech (the corporate backer of her research). The X-Men debated the merits of the cure and the significance of labelling the mutant condition a disease. The chance at shedding his "beastly" appearance and avoiding any further secondary mutations held significant appeal for Hank McCoy (aka Beast) and he considered taking the serum for a time, although Wolverine objected by saying that an X-Man taking the serum would be the equivalent of admitting that there was something to 'cure' in the first place.
It was later revealed that Rao had been working for the alien Ord of the Breakworld, who also had in his custody Colossus (who was, at that time, thought to be dead, but had been resurrected by Ord's technology). The X-Men defeated Ord and Benetech, and Ord was delivered into the hands of S.H.I.E.L.D.. Dr. Rao's work was destroyed by Wolverine, leaving Hank with the last sample of "Hope", although he remains uncertain whether or not he will use it at some point.
Kavita Rao was pictured alongside several super-villains to whom Beast offers to 'sell his soul' for a means to un-do the effects of M-Day. With her old research into 'curing' the mutant gene now irrelevant after so many mutants lost their powers, she agrees to aid Beast in his quest and is now looking for more info that might help him.
After Beast has finished gathering his science squad, they head back to base where he introduces them of their final member, Kavita Rao. Together they hold a meeting where he explains everything about how the Decimation occurred. When Beast proposes they go back in time to obtain the DNA sample of the parents of a mutant, Kavita questions why they must all go when Beast says it's one of the perks of the job. She travels back with the rest of the X-Club and Psylocke to the year 1906. There she helps look over Catherine Bradley after injuring herself during the Hellfire Club's assassination attempt. During the events of Utopia, she helps raise Asteroid M from the bottom of the ocean and attends the funeral of Dr. Yuriko Takiguchi when he passes away.
In the aftermath of Utopia, Karma and Illyana goes to see Kavita Rao where they inform her of what when on in Legion's mind. When Kavita mistakes Marci for one of Legion's personalities, Shan corrects her and reveals that Marci was a real person but when she exited his mind, Legion revealed Marci doesn't have a body to return to and explains how his powers work.
First Appearance: Astonishing X-Men (2004) #1
Dr. Kavita Rao (Marvel) is a favorite character of 1 user
View a chronological listing of this character's appearances
Age of X: Alpha (2011)
Astonishing X-Men (2004)
#1 Avengers Academy (2010)
- 'Gifted, Part 1'#2
- 'Gifted, Part 2'#3
- 'Gifted, Part 3'#5
- 'Gifted, Part 5'#6
- 'Gifted, Part 6'#44
- 'Exalted, Part 1'#45
- 'Exalted, Part 2'
#29 AVX: VS (2012)
- 'Protective Services Part 1'#30
- 'Protective Services Part 2'#31
- 'Protective Services Part 3'
Dark Avengers (2009)
#8 Dark Avengers/Uncanny X-Men: Exodus (2009)
- 'Dark Avengers/Uncanny X-Men: Utopia, Part 5'
#1 Dark Avengers/Uncanny X-Men: Utopia (2009)
- 'Dark Avengers/Uncanny X-Men: Utopia, Conclusion'
Generation Hope (2011)
#8 Heroic Age: X-Men (2011)
- 'The Ward, part three'
January 2011 Sneak Peeks (2011)
Namor: The First Mutant (2010)
#11 Nation X (2010)
- 'The Fire Down Below, Conclusion'
New Mutants (2009)
#5 New X-Men (2004)
- 'Second Coming: Chapter 7'
#40 Runaways (2008)
- 'Quest for Magik: Part 3'
Ryhmä-X / X-Men (1984)
Second Coming: Prepare (2010)
Uncanny X-Men (1963)
Annual 03 (2011) Uncanny X-Men (2012)
- 'Escape From The Negative Zone Part One'#488
- 'The Extremists, Part 2'#508
- 'Sisterhood, Part 1'#509
- 'Sisterhood, Part 2'#512
- 'The Origins of the Species'#513
- 'Dark Avengers/Uncanny X-Men: Utopia, Part 2'#514
- 'Dark Avengers/Uncanny X-Men: Utopia, Part 4'#515
- 'Nation X: Chapter 1'#516
- 'Nation X: Chapter 2'#518
- 'Nation X: Chapter 4'#519
- 'Nation X: Chapter 5'#521
- 'Nation X: Chapter 7'#522
- 'Nation X: Chapter 8'#523
- 'Second Coming: Chapter 2'#524
- 'Second Coming: Chapter 6'#525
- 'Second Coming: Chapter 10'#526#527
- 'The Five Lights: part 2: Velocidad'#529#530
- 'Quarantine Part 1'#531
- 'Quarantine Part 2'#532
- 'Quarantine Part 3'#534
- 'Quarantine Part 5'#535
- 'Breaking Point: Part One'
What If? Astonishing X-Men (2010)
#1 Wolverine (2010)
- 'What If Ord Resurrected Jean Grey Instead Of Colossus?'
#4#6 Wolverine And Jubilee (2011)
- 'Wolverine Vs. the X-Men, Part 1 of 3'
#1 X-Club (2012)
- 'Cursed Part 1 of 4'
#1 X-Factor (2006)
- 'We Do Science! Part One'#2
- 'We Do Science! Part Two'#3
- 'We Do Science! Part Three'#4
- 'We Do Science! Part Four'#5
- 'We Do Science! Part Five'
#24 X-Force (2008)
- 'Chapter 15 - The Isolationist: Part 4 - Conclusion'
#28 X-Men (1991)
- 'Second Coming: Chapter 13'
#1 X-Men Giant-Size (2011)
- 'Curse of the Mutants, Part One'#2
- 'Curse of the Mutants, Part Two'#3
- 'Curse of the Mutants, Part Three'#6
- 'Curse of the Mutants, Part Six'#12
- 'First To Last Part 2'#13
- 'First To Last Part 3'#14
- 'First To Last Part 4'#15
- 'First to Last, Conclusion'
#1 X-Men Legacy (2008)
- 'First To Last Part One'
#229 X-Men: Blind Science (2010)
- 'Devil at the Crossroads: Part 3'#230
- 'Devil at the Crossroads: Part 4'#235
- 'Second Coming: Chapter 4'#236
- 'Second Coming: Chapter 8'#242
- 'Fables of the Reconstruction: Part 1'#248
- 'Aftermath Part One'#249
- 'Aftermath Part Two'#250#259
- 'Half a Step Part One'#260
- 'Half a Step Part Two'
X-Men: Curse of the Mutants - Smoke and Blood (2010)
X-Men: Earth's Mutant Heroes (2011)
X-Men: Endangered Species (2007)
X-Men: Legacy (2013)
#2 X-Men: Schism (2011)
- 'Prodigal Part 2'#5#6#11
- 'Invasive Exotic Part Two'
X-Men: Second Coming (2010)
X-Men (Marvel)(01 - Mutants)
Famous Quotes: - Add a Famous Quote
< Previous Character | Next Character >
Add this character to a run of issues in a title
Suggest an image for this character
View the contribution history for this character