Real Name: James Proudstar
Search for 'Warpath (Marvel)' on Amazon
Warpath is a mutant who possesses superhuman strength, speed, stamina, agility, dexterity, reflexes, coordination, balance, endurance, and a high degree of resistance to physical injury. He has previously demonstrated the ability of flight, although this power has not been depicted in recent comic storylines (Writer Ed Brubaker has said that he chose not to depict Warpath's flight power because he didn't understand how Warpath's speed and strength would allow it).
He also possesses heightened senses which enable him among other things to see in near-total darkness and hear whispers from great distances. After nearly getting killed by Reignfire, Warpath experienced an increase in senses and speed that allowed him to perform feats he had previously not been aware he was capable of, such as run at high speeds for long distances and quickly climb building walls by rapidly digging his hands and feet into the bare concrete.
Aside from his natural physical attributes, Warpath is well versed in hand-to-hand combat. He has been trained in the use of the bo staff as a weapon in battle ( at the insistence of Cable ) and currently wields bowie knives ,given to him by Storm, that are composed of vibranium, using them with great skill and experience.
+ Super Hearing
+ Super Sight
+ Super Smell
+ Super Speed
+ Super Strength
+ Unarmed Combat
+ Vibration Wave
+ Weapon Master
James Proudstar was born at the Apache reservation at Camp Verde, Arizona. James' brother, John Proudstar, was one of the "All New, All Different" X-Men who debuted in Giant-Size X-Men #1 (1975). He was killed on one of the team's earliest missions. James angrily blamed the X-Men for his brother's death and made it his life's mission to murder its founder, Professor Charles Xavier.
In Uncanny X-Men #193 (May 1985), which celebrated the tenth anniversary of the X-Men's revival, James reappeared, donning his brother's costume, and kidnapped the X-Men's Banshee to draw the team to Cheyenne Mountain where John was killed. However, when the opportunity arrived, James was unable to kill Professor X in cold blood. Professor X offered membership into the New Mutants to James, but he declined. Instead, James became a member of the Hellions, a team of young mutants led by the super-villain The White Queen.
Months later, James came to realize that the Massachusetts Academy wasn't the place for him. So, he left to return home to his family's reservation, in Camp Verde, Arizona. James enjoyed his stay at home so much, that he originally turned down Cable's offer to join the New Mutants. After the meeting, in New York, James returned home, to find his entire tribe murdered. James originally thought that the Hellions committed the act to punish him for leaving the team, due to a Hellfire Club foot soldier's mask he found alongside the bodies of his fallen tribesmen. He then joined the New Mutants, hoping to track down the Hellions and gain revenge.
Before long, the New Mutants cut ties with the X-Men and became the militant X-Force and James changed his codename to Warpath. Warpath was a part of X-Force for the duration of the team. As a member of X-Force, James became more calm and controlled and struck up a close friendship with his teammate Siryn (ironically Banshee's daughter). Despite his strong attraction to her, Theresa only saw James as a friend.
James finally had a face to face with Emma Frost. The two talked about the deaths of his tribesmen, but Emma swore she wasn't involved. Warpath eventually met a woman, by the name of Risque. Risque was instrumental in helping James with his confidence. She introduced him to a man called Sledge. Sledge gave him information about a member of the tribe that was still alive. James found this tribesman, Michael Whitecloud, who told him that Stryfe, X-Force's adversary, was behind the killing of his tribe. James went to Hell to gain revenge, but was returned back to the living world by Blackheart.
James returned to X-Force and stayed a devoted member. When the former British intelligence agent Pete Wisdom became X-Force's mentor, he helped James learn how to use his powers to fly. James was presumed dead in a violent altercation, along with most of his team-mates.
After X-Force's disintegration, Warpath joined the Mumbai branch of the international mutant agency, X-Corporation, in India. His new team was a mix of old and new friends. Feral, Sunfire and Thornn. He stayed there with the X-Corporation for a while, helping to save Professor Xaiver's life, who was surprised that he was still alive. Later he rejoined X-Force at Cable's request. X-Force has since disbanded, with Cannonball, Cable and Warpath joining separate teams of X-Men. Rictor and Siryn have joined X-Factor Investigations, and Boom Boom is in the superhero group Nextwave.
Warpath was one of the few mutants to retain their powers after the events of Decimation, and soon after found himself living in the Mutant camp at X-Men's mansion. Shortly afterward, he joined the ranks of the X-Men for the first time (Uncanny X-Men #475), at Professor X's request. Along with Professor X, Marvel Girl, Nightcrawler, Havok, Darwin, and Polaris, he journeys into space to track down Vulcan. He shows his superb fighting prowess while fighting cyborg drones as the X-Men attempt to commandeer a Shi'ar ship. During the final fight with Vulcan (Uncanny X-Men #486) Warpath fought bravely and in the end was on the spaceship with half of the team when Lilandra sent it back to Earth.
Created by Sal Buscema & Chris Claremont.
First Appearance: The New Mutants (1983) #99
Thunderbird (Marvel)(02 - James Proudstar)
Warpath (Marvel) is a favorite character of 16 users
View a chronological listing of this character's appearances
All-New Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A to Z (2006)
#12 All-New Wolverine (2016)
- 'Ultragirl to Arnim Zola'
All-New X-Men (2013)
Avengers Vs. X-Men (2012)
#4 Cable (1993)
- 'Apache Autumn, Part 1'#5
- 'Apache Autumn, Part 2: Bad Day at the Haunted Mesa!'
Annual '99 Cable (2008)
- 'Something Sinister This Way Comes'#21
- '..Our Regularly Scheduled Program...'#29
- 'Man In the Mirror'#73
- 'Who Is Worthy to Break the Seals..?'#77
- 'False Hoods'
#6 Cable & Deadpool (2004)
- 'Waiting for the End of the World: Chapter 1: The Last Place on Earth'#9
- 'Waiting for the End of the World: Chapter 3: Little Triggers'#10
- 'Waiting for the End of the World: Chapter 4: The Last Hope'#13
- 'Messiah War: Chapter 2'#14
- 'Messiah War: Chapter 4'#15
- 'Messiah War: Chapter 6'
#18 Cable: Second Genesis (1999)
- 'Enema of the State, Part 4: Bringing Up Baby'
Cable/X-Force '96 (1996)
Contest of Champions II (1999)
#1 Danny Fingeroth's Write Now! (2002)
- 'The Gathering'#4
- 'Final Cut'
Dark Avengers (2009)
#8 Dark Avengers/Uncanny X-Men: Utopia (2009)
- 'Dark Avengers/Uncanny X-Men: Utopia, Part 5'
Dark X-Men: The Confession (2009)
#12 Deadpool (2008)
- 'The Drowning Man, Part 1: Things to Do in Iowa When You're Deadpool'#22
- 'Great Men'#61
- 'Funeral for a Freak, Part 1 of 4: 'Nuff Said!'
#16 Deadpool vs. X-Force (2014)
- 'Want You To Want Me: Part 2: No Man is an Island'
#1 Deadpool: Bad Blood (2017)
- 'Time to Die #1'#2
- 'Time to Die #2'#3
- 'Time to Die #3'#4
- 'Time to Die #4'
Death of X (2016)
#1 Excalibur (1988)
- 'Killer Instinct Part One: Lottery'
#82 Fall of the Hulks: Red Hulk (2010)
- 'Book Two: Life Signs - Part Three: The Light of a Tainted Dawn'
Gambit & Bishop (2001)
#3 Generation Hope (2011)
- 'That's Stryfe That's What People Say'
Giant-Size Astonishing X-Men (2008)
Heroic Age: X-Men (2011)
Hot Shots: X-Men (1996)
#14 Hulk Team-Up (2009)
- 'Code Red: Chapter 1: Eyewitness'#15
- 'Code Red: Chapter 2: Collision'#17
- 'Code Red: Chapter 4: The Man in the Mirror'
Marvel Age (1983)
Marvel Atlas (2008)
Marvel Digital Holiday Special (2008)
Marvel Encyclopedia (2014)
Marvel Holiday Spectacular Magazine (2009)
Nation X (2010)
Nation X: X-Factor (2010)
New Mutants (2009)
#24 New X-Men (2001)
- 'Age of X, Chapter 6'#25
- 'Unfinished Business Part 1'
New X-Men (2004)
#45 Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A to Z (2008)
- 'Messiah Complex, Chapter Eight'#46
- 'Messiah Complex, Chapter Twelve'
HC vol. 13 Phoenix Resurrection: The Return of Jean Grey (2018)
- 'Valkyrior Steeds to Maximillian Zaran'
#1 Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe (1995)
- 'Chapter One: Frustrate the Sun'#2
- 'Chapter Two: All Lesser Birds'#3
- 'Chapter Three: A Constellation of Them All'#4
- 'Chapter Four: That A Great Princess Falls, but Doth Not Die'#5
- 'Chapter Five: Be Thou Those Ends'
#38 Secret Invasion: X-Men (2008)
- 'Whose War Is this Anyway?'
#2 Secret Warriors (2017)
- 'Chapter 2'#4
- 'Chapter 4'
#3 Spider-Man (1990)
- '"To Begin the World Over Again" Part Three'
The Marvel X-Men Collection (1994)
The New Mutants (1983)
Annual 07 The New Warriors (1990)
- 'Pawns of Senescence'#99
- 'The Beginning of the End Part Two'#100
- 'The End of the Beginning'
The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Master Edition (1990)
The Punisher (2000)
Totally Awesome Hulk (2016)
Uncanny Avengers (2012)
Uncanny X-Force (2010)
#28 Uncanny X-Men (1963)
- 'Chapter Four: Days Of Preemptive Future'#29
- 'Chapter Five: No Trust In Tomorrow'
Annual 15#294 Uncanny X-Men (2012)
- 'Familiar Refrain'#296
- 'The Splinter of our Discontent'#379
- 'What Dreams May Come...'#388
- 'The Past Is But Prologue!'#475
- 'Plan B'#476
- 'The Things They Left Behind'#478
- 'The Rise And Fall Of The Shi'ar Empire Chapter Four Castaways'#479
- 'The Rise And Fall Of The Shi'ar Empire Chapter Five Double-Edged'#481
- 'The Rise And Fall Of The Shi'ar Empire ChapterSeven: Crosing The Rubicon'#482
- 'Imperial Rescue'#484
- 'In Exile'#485
- 'The End of All That Is'#486
- 'Endings and Beginnings'#487
- 'The Extremists, One of Five'#488
- 'The Extremists, Part 2'#489
- 'The Extremists, Part 3'#490
- 'The Extremists, Part 4'#491
- 'The Extremists, Part 5'#493
- 'Messiah CompleX, Chapter Six'#494
- 'Messiah CompleX, Chapter Ten'#498
- 'X-Men: Divided, Part Four of Five'#499
- 'X-Men: Divided, Part Five of Five'#506
- 'Lovelorn, Part 3'#509
- 'Sisterhood, Part 2'#514
- 'Dark Avengers/Uncanny X-Men: Utopia, Part 4'#515
- 'Nation X: Chapter 1'#517
- 'Nation X: Chapter 3'#525
- 'Second Coming: Chapter 10'#600
Uncanny X-Men (2013)
War of Kings Saga (2009)
#4 Weapon X (2017)
- 'War Worlds'#5
- 'Cat and Mouse'
Weapons of Mutant Destruction (2017)
What If? 200 (2011)
#1 What If? AvX (2013)
- 'What If? Norman Osborn Won the Siege of Asgard/What If? The Watcher killed Galactus?'
What If? World War Hulk (2010)
What If...? (1989)
#69 What The--?! (1988)
- 'What If... Stryfe Killed the X-Men?'
#25 Wolverine (2003)
- 'All Mutant Parody Issue'
Wolverine & The X-Men (2011)
#10 Wonder Man (1991)
- 'Avengers Vs X-Men ... Vs X-Men'#11
- 'Got Hope?'
World War Hulk: X-Men (2007)
#2 X Necrosha (2009)
- 'Sworn to Protect'#3
- 'Sworn to Protect'
#1 X-Factor (1986)
- 'We Do Science! Part One'
Annual 06 X-Factor (2006)
- 'Kings of Pain Part 4: King of Pain'#84
- 'Part 2: Tough Love'#106
- 'Life Signs, Part 1'
#26 X-Force (1991)
- 'Messiah CompleX: Chapter 7'#27
- 'Messiah CompleX: Chapter 11'
Annual 01Annual 02Annual 03Annual 1999#-1 X-Force (2004)
- 'Brothers Proudstar'#1
- 'A Force To Be Reckoned With'#2
- 'The Blood Hunters'#3
- 'Sabotage Pt. 2'#5
- 'Under the Magnifying Glass'#6
- 'Under the Gun'#7
- 'Under the Knife'#9
- 'Underground and Over the Top'#10
- 'X-Tenuating Circumstances Part 3: Questions (and Answers)'#11
- 'Friendly Reminders'#12
- 'Traitors to the Cause'#13
- 'Everything Hits the Fan'#14
- 'To the Pain'#16
- 'Jack Lighting'#17
- 'Sleeping With the Enemy'#19
- 'The Open Hand'#21
- 'War Machines'#22
- 'Ordnance Weighed In Blood'#23
- 'Compromising Positions'#24
- 'Prisoners of Fate'#25
- 'Back to Front'#26
- 'Shadows On the Rock'#27
- 'Liberation Through Subjugation'#28
- 'The Axe Falls'#29
- 'Toy Soldiers'#30
- 'Something Worth Fighting for'#31
- 'Cry Uncle'#32
- 'Child's Play (First Move): With a Roll of the Dice'#33
- 'Child's Play, Third Move: Rules Were Made To Be Broken'#34
- 'Guns and Poses'#35
- 'Beg Tomorrow'#36
- 'Genocidal Tendencies'#37
- 'The Young and the Restless'#38
- 'Life Signs, Part 2: The Faith Dancers'#39
- 'Letting Go'#40
- 'Holding On'#41
- 'The Fun House'#42
- 'A Lie of the Mind'#43
- 'Teapot In a Tempest'#44
- '...Already In Progress...'#45
- 'Under One Roof'#46
- 'Behind Closed Doors'#47
- 'Target: X-Force'#50
- 'Target: Cable'#51
- 'Reflections In the Night'#52
- 'Bad Girls'#53
- 'Even an X-Ternal Can Die'#55
- 'Without a Net'#56
- 'Crazy For You'#57
- 'In the Company of Strangers Part 2: The Best Laid Plans...'#58
- '...Before the Dawn'#59
- 'Are You Now Or Have You Ever Been'#60
- 'I Know You Are But What Am I'#61
- 'And Now...It's Another Thrilling Adventure of Cable and Shatterstar'#63
- 'Wish You Were Here'#64
- 'The Haunting of Castle Doom'#65
- 'Lower East Side Story'#66
- 'Tragic Kingdom'#68
- 'Girl Talk'#69
- 'Roadside Attractions'#70
- 'Destination Unknown'#72
- 'Lies and Deception'#73
- 'Stop Motion'#74
- 'Bittersweet Reunions'#77
- 'City of Lost Children'#78
- 'Burning Desires'#79
- 'Set My Soul On Fire'#80
- 'The Fire Within'#81
- 'Hot Lava'#82
- 'The Gryphon Agenda'#83
- '...By The Sword'#85
- 'Experimental Living'#87
- 'Armageddon Now, One of Four - Family Matters'#88
- 'Armageddon Now, Two of Four - Blood & Betrayal'#89
- 'Armageddon Now, Three of Four - Hellions Triumphant'#90
- 'Armageddon Now, Four of Four - Rude Awakening'#91
- 'Strange Interlude'#93
- 'Temple of the Dying Sun'#94
- 'Artifacts & Apocrypha'#95
- 'Magnetic Distraction'#97
- 'Cracked Foundation'#98
- 'Bad Company'#100#100 (Rob Liefeld Variant)#101
- 'Learning to Fly'#102
- 'Games Without Frontiers'#103
- 'Games Without Frontiers, Part 2'#104
- 'Games Without Frontiers, Part 3'#105
- 'Games Without Frontiers, Part 4'#106
- 'Murder Ballads, Part 1'#107
- 'Murder Ballads, Part 2'#108
- 'Murder Ballads, Part 3'#109
- 'Murder Ballads, Part 4'#110
- 'Rage War Part One'#111
- 'Rage, Part 2'#112
- 'Rage, Part 3'#113
- 'Rage, Part 4'#114
- 'Epitaph Part 2'#117
- 'Mister Sensitive'
#2 X-Force (2008)
- 'The Spectre of Things to Come'#3
- 'The Big Picture'
Annual 01#1 X-Force / Champions '98 (1998)
- 'Angels And Demons'#2
- 'Angels and Demons: Part 2'#3
- 'Angels and Demons: Part 3'#4
- 'Angels and Demons: Part 4'#5
- 'Angels and Demons: Part 5'#6
- 'Angels and Demons: Part 6'#7
- 'Old Ghosts: Part 1'#8
- 'Old Ghosts: Part 2'#9
- 'Old Ghosts: Part 3'#10
- 'Old Ghosts: Part 4'#11
- 'Who The Hell Is Eli Bard?'#12
- 'Suicide Leper: Part One'#13
- 'Suicide Leper: Part Two'#14
- 'Messiah War: Chapter 3'#15
- 'Messiah War: Chapter 5'#16
- 'Messiah War: Chapter 7'#17
- 'Not Forgotten: Part One'#18
- 'Not Forgotten: Part Two'#20
- 'Not Forgotten: Part Four'#21
- 'Necrosha: Chapter Two'#22#23
- 'Necrosha: Chapter Four'#24
- 'Necrosha: Chapter Five'#25
- 'Necrosha: Conclusion'
X-Force and Cable '95 (1995)
X-Force Megazine (1996)
X-Force Special: Ain't No Dog (2008)
X-Force: Sex and Violence (2010)
X-Force/Cable '97 (1997)
X-Force/Cable: Messiah War (2009)
#1 X-Force/Youngblood (1996)
- 'Messiah War, Chapter One'
#14 X-Men (2010)
- 'Fingers on the Trigger'#17
- 'A Skinning of Souls Part One: Waiting for the Ripening'#30
- 'The Ties that Bind'#41
- 'Dreams Die!'#206
- 'Messiah CompleX: Chapter 9'#207
- 'Messiah CompleX: Chapter 13'
X-Men Forever (2009)
X-Men Forever 2 (2010)
X-Men Legacy (2008)
Annual 01 X-Men Prime (1995)
- 'Devil at the Crossroads: Part 1'#230
- 'Devil at the Crossroads: Part 4'#231
- 'Earth Give Up Your Dead: Part 1'#234
- 'The Telltale Heart'#260
- 'Half a Step Part Two'#268
X-Men Unlimited (1993)
X-Men: Future History - The Messiah War Sourcebook (2009)
X-Men: Schism (2011)
X-Men: Second Coming (2010)
X-Men: The 198 Files (2006)
X-Men: The Times and Life of Lucas Bishop (2009)
#3 X-Men: The Ultra Collection (1994)
- 'Part 3: And Nothing Will Ever Be The Same'
X-Men: To Serve And Protect (2011)
New Mutants (Marvel)
X-Force (Marvel)(02 - former New Mutants)
X-Force (Marvel)(04 - Wolverine's Team)
X-Men (Marvel)(01 - Mutants)
Famous Quotes: - Add a Famous Quote
< Previous Character | Next Character >
Add this character to a run of issues in a title
Suggest an image for this character
View the contribution history for this character