Real Name: Virgil Ovid Hawkins
Search for 'Static (Milestone)' on Amazon
Primarily the Generation and Manipulation, of electromagnetic energy. The wide variety of powers this gives him are limited only by Virgil's imagination.
A short list of abilities Static is capable of using his power:
Leviatating metallic objects.
Forcing objects to cling to one another.
Charging electronic items, draining them of energy, and magnetising/unmagnetising metals.
A Taser Punch, a physical attack accompanied by an electromagnetic burst of energy.
Primarily water, as his powers are focused around Electromagnetic energy, water has a habit of 'shorting out' his attacks, and his ability to do anything at all.
Static's powers are also impotent against anyone or anything that is completely insulated from electrical energy.
A 15 year-old teenager, Virgil Hawkins was being tormented by a bully when he finally decided to get some payback. Aquiring a gun from his friend, he went to the biggest gang showdown in Dakota City.
This event ultimately came to be known as the so-called "Big Bang". Virgil was exposed to a form of experimental tear gas, and when the agency behind the experiment tried to capture him, he fought back, discovering that he had gained the ability to generate, manipulate, and control electromagnetism.
It was at this point he decided to use his new-found powers to fight crime, under the guise of 'Static'.
During the day, Virgil attends Hemmingway High, along with his friends Frieda Goren, Richard 'Rick' Stone, Larry Wade, Chuck, Felix and Daisy Whatkins.
Despite having a life-long crush on Frieda, their relationship remains plutonic, and Static ends up becoming romantically involved with Daisy.
Static then suffers all the tribulations of attempting to fit his crime-fighting career, his homework, and his girlfriend, all into his life.
Static was created by Dwayne McDuffie, Denys Cowan, Derek T. Dingel, and Michael Davis.
Originally, Static was written as a character exclusive to the so-called "Milestone Universe", which was not narratively linked to the DC Universe. However, just as the television series eventually showed Static to be a part of the same universe as the Justice League, the comic Static is now a fixture of the DCU. According to a Dan DiDio announcement at the 2008 San Diego Comic Con, Static is to beome a part of the Teen Titans in 2009. His first appearance as a feature of the DCU was supposed to have been Terror Titans #1, according to Sean McKeever. The character had occasionally guest-starred in Milestone/DCU crossovers in the 1990s, but Terror Titans #3 marked the start of Static's residency in the DCU.
First Appearance: Static (1993) #1
Static (Milestone) is a favorite character of 1 user
View a chronological listing of this character's appearances
Astro City: Local Heroes [GER] (2008)
#11 Heroes (1996)
- 'Shadow and Act'#12
- 'No Harm Done'#19
- 'The Landing of the Mothership'#44
#1 Icon (1993)
- 'The World Needs...Heroes'#2
- 'No Turning Back'#3
- 'Home of the Heroes'#4
- 'Help is on the Way'#5
- 'Surrender the Pink'#6
- 'All for Love or The World Well Lost'
#10 Kobalt (1994)
- 'The Fire This Time'#19
- 'Swing Down Sweet Chariot, Stop and Let Me Ride'#20
- 'The Big Bang Theory'#21
- 'If You Ain't Gonna Get It On'#22
- 'The Cinderella Theory'#28
- 'Future Shock'#38
- 'Blood Reign, Part 1: The Quality of Hurt'
#1 Milestone Forever (2010)
- 'The Call'#7
#1 Shadow Cabinet (1994)
- 'Meta Fictions'#2
- 'Hardware Escape'
TPB Static Shock: Rebirth of the Cool (2001)
- 'Trial By Fire'#1
- 'Burning Sensation'#2
- 'Everything but the Girl'#3
- 'Pounding the Pavement'#4
- 'Playing with Fire'#5
- 'War at 30 Frames Per Second'#7
- 'You're Gonna Get Yours'#8
- 'Needless To Say, the Party Broke Up'#9
- 'Static Needs a New Pair of Shoes'#10
- 'Mystery Date'#11
- 'Double Date'#12
- 'Getting Out'#13
- 'Cold-Hearted Snakes'#14
- 'After Worlds Collide'#15
- 'One For The Kids'#16
- 'Goin' South'#17
- 'False Impressions'#18
- 'Between A Rick And A Hard Place'#20
- 'In Search Of The Phatman'#22
- 'The Dread Chihuahuas Of Doom'#23
- 'Reigning Rats and Dogs'#24
- 'Tattletale Hearts'#25
- 'Two Tickets To Paradise'#27
- 'Paris Island Is Burning'#28
- 'Last Licks'#29
- 'Red Handed'#30
- 'Shadow of Time, Shadow of Blood'#31
- 'Cape Fear'#32
- 'Full Yellow Jacket'#33
- 'Bee, My Love'#34
- 'Blame it on Picasso'#35
- 'An Unearthly Child'#37
- 'Window of Time'#38
- 'Sharon Loves Static'#39
- 'Half a Pint Will Do'#40
- 'Boyz Night Out'#41
- 'Love Bites, Part One: Truly, Madly, Deadly'#42
- 'Love Bites, Part Two: Rest In Pieces'#43
- 'Power Struggle'#44
- 'Going . . . Going . . .'#45
TPB Steel (1994)
- 'Rebirth of the Cool'#1
- 'As I Was Saying Before I Was Interrupted...'#2
- 'Standing on the Verge of Getting It On'#3
- 'The Story So Far...'#4
- 'Places Left Unfinished at the Time of Creation'
#7 Superman & Batman Magazine (1993)
- 'Menace 2 Societies!'
Superman: The Man of Steel (1991)
#35 The Brave and the Bold: Milestone (2010)
- 'A Rift in Reality'
TPB The Long, Hot Summer (1995)
- 'The Brave and the Bold: Milestone'
#1 Worlds Collide (1994)
- 'Skeleton At The Feast'#3
- 'How Can You Be in Two Places at Once, When You're Not Anywhere at All?'
League of Superteens
Famous Quotes: - Add a Famous Quote
"You don't start none, there won't be none."
< Previous Character | Next Character >
Add this character to a run of issues in a title
Suggest an image for this character
View the contribution history for this character