Real Name: Kaine Parker
Search for 'Kaine (Marvel)' on Amazon
Kaine's powers are a super-enhanced version of Spider-Man's. His Spider Sense is so advanced that he can see flashes of the future.
Kaine was the first of the Jackal's experiments in cloning that did not immediately degenerate into raw genetic waste. He was a clone of Peter Parker, the original Spider-Man. After some time, however, slow genetic deterioration became apparent. The Jackal became disgusted by yet another failure and planned to kill his creation, forcing the rejected clone to flee. The clone came to call himself Kaine and eventually adopted a costume that slowed his deterioration and hid his skin, but reproduced the web-like scars that run all over his body. Even as his DNA deteriorated, Kaine grew taller and stronger than the original Spider-Man.
Unable to live a normal life because of his disfigured features, Kaine's anger grew with his strength. Most of all he hated Scarlet Spider whom he, like the Jackal, believed to be the original Spider-Man, and thus the reason for his tormented existence. Believing Peter to be a successful clone, Kaine took it upon himself to ensure that Peter led the charmed life denied the Jackal's other experiments. This ambition eventually led Kaine to murder the Grim Hunter and Dr. Octopus (Otto Octavius).
Kaine followed Ben around the world, working occasionally as a high-priced assassin. In Salt Lake City, three years after leaving New York, Kaine killed Detective Louise Kennedy, the only person who ever made Kaine feel loved, after learning that she was in league with the local mob. Ben was spotted at the scene shortly after, and Kennedy's partner, Detective Jacob Raven, eventually tracked Reilly's fingerprints back to the original Peter Parker in New York City and arrested Peter. Peter was exonerated only after he threatened to make his secret identity known and Kaine confessed to the crime in another effort to preserve Peter's happiness. After Ben was "revealed" to be the original Spider-Man, Kaine escaped from police custody but was killed by Spidercide, a shape-shifting clone of Spider-Man. The Jackal put Kaine's body in a clone regeneration pod, where it was revived some time later.
Still attempting to crush Reilly's spirit, Kaine used Elizabeth Tyne (who was living under the assumed name of Janine Godbe after shooting her abusive father), the love of Ben's life since they had met in Salt Lake City. Threatening to expose her to the police, Kaine ordered Janine to fake her own suicide and leave Ben as he wandered America. After Ben took the role of Spider-Man, Kaine lured Janine back to New York and attempted to kill himself and them. Their love inspired him to relent, and both Kaine and Janine surrendered to the police.
Kaine later escaped from prison and was last seen in Greece. His current whereabouts are unknown.
First Appearance: Web of Spider-Man (1985) #119
Scarlet Spider (Marvel)(05 - Kaine Parker)
Tarantula (Marvel)(07 - Kaine Parker)
Kaine (Marvel) is a favorite character of 5 users
View a chronological listing of this character's appearances
Amazing Spider-Girl (2006)
#9 Amazing Spider-Man Family (2008)
- 'Specimen 297!'#10
- 'Comes the Carnage!'#12
- 'Only The Innocent Must Die!'#13
- 'I, Hobgoblin!'#15
- 'Dark Destiny!'#23
- 'Did Someone Say Clones?!'#25#25 (Variant Cover)#26#27
- 'Who's Been Sleeping In My Head?!'#28
- 'Grim, Be My Goblin!'#29
- 'The End Of Mays'#30
- 'Never Say Die!'
Amazing Spider-Man: Grim Hunt - Hunting The Hunter (2010)
#1 Astonishing X-Men/Amazing Spider-Man: The Gauntlet Sketchbook (2009)
- 'Part One: Adrift'#2
- 'Part Two: A Prophecy'
Civil War: Battle Damage Report (2007)
#1 Heroic Age: Villains (2011)
- 'From the Abyss...!'#2
- 'The Cursed!'#3
- 'Fathers of the Sin!'
#1 Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A to Z (2008)
- 'Heroic Age Villains'
Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Spider-Man 2005 (2005)
Scarlet Spider (2012)
#24 Scarlet Spider Unlimited (1995)
- 'Hands Covered in Blood Part 1'
#1 Spectacular Spider-Girl (2010)
- 'You Say You Want An Evolution!'
#12 Spider-Girl: The End! (2010)
- 'Duel With Darkdevil!'#14
- 'A Man Called... Kaine!'#17
- 'Turning Point--!'#44
- 'Cry Uncle!'#45
- 'Secret Lives!'#46
- 'Suddenly... The Scarlet Spider!'#47
- 'Gods and Men!'#48
- 'Through a Mother's Eyes'#49
- 'A Dish Served Cold!'#50
- 'Seize the Day!'#62
- 'Every Hand Against Her'#63
- 'If This Be My Destiny!'#64
- 'Grave Matters'#66
- 'If This Be Victory!'#78
- 'The People Played By Games!'#79
- 'When Destiny Calls!'#96
- 'Shadows From the Past'#98
- 'Sacrifices Must Be Made'#99
- 'Family Ties'#100
- 'If Death Be My Destiny'
#1 Spider-Island (2015)
- 'The End of Spider-Girl!'
#53 Spider-Man (1997)
- 'The Exile Returns, Part 4 of 4: Gathering Storms'#54
- 'Web of Life, Part II: Snared'#55
- 'Web of Life, Part IV: End Hunt'#56
- 'Smoke and Mirrors, Part 3 of 3: Truths & Deceptions'#57#58
- 'The Mark of Kaine, Part 3 of 5: Spider, Spider, Who's Got the Spider?'#60
- 'The Trial of Peter Parker, Part 3 of 4: The Truth is Out There!'#61
- 'Maximum Clonage, Part IV: Heading Toward Omega'#66
- 'The Return of Kaine, Part 4 of 4: End Game'
Spider-Man [GER] (2013)
Spider-Man Unlimited (1993)
#9 Spider-Man: Funeral for an Octopus (1995)
- 'The Mark of Kaine, Part 5 of 5: Unholy Alliances!'#18
- 'All My Pasts Remembered!'
#1 Spider-Man: Grim Hunt - The Kraven Saga (2010)
- 'Funeral for an Octopus, Part One: Eight Arms Beyond the Grave'#2
- 'Funeral for an Octopus, Part Two: Armed and Dangerous'#3
- 'Funeral for an Octopus, Part Three: A Farewell to Arms!'
Spider-Man: Maximum Clonage (1995)
Alpha Spider-Man: Redemption (1996)
- 'Maximum Clonage, Part 1: ... And the Jackal Cries, 'Death!'"'
#1 Spider-Man: The Clone Journal (1995)
- 'Redemption Chapter One: Yesterday'#2
- 'Redemption Chapter Two : War Games'#3
- 'Redemption Chapter Three : Chains'#4
- 'Redemption Chapter Four : Burning Bright'
Spider-Man: The Clone Saga (2009)
Spider-Man: The Jackal Files (1995)
Spider-Man: The Lost Years (1995)
#1 Spider-Man: The Osborn Journal (1997)
- 'Part One: Strangers'#2
- 'Part Two: Intimacies'#3
- 'Part Three: The Truth'
#1 Spider-Man: The Parker Years (1995)
- 'The Osborn Journal'
Superior Spider-Man Team-Up (2013)
#2 The Amazing Spider-Man (1963)
- 'Sibling Rivalry Part 1'#12
The Amazing Spider-Man (2014)
The Astonishing Spider-Man (2009)
#37 The Marvel Encyclopedia (2006)
- 'Raptor's Revenge!'#38#52
- 'The Dead Shall Rise!'#53
- 'The Hunter Lives! The Spider Dies!'#54
- 'The Killing Blow!'#76
HC The Sensational Spider-Man (1996)
- 'The Marvel Encyclopedia'
#2 The Spectacular Spider-Girl (2009)
- 'The Return of Kaine, Part 2 of 4: Remains of the Day'
#2 The Spectacular Spider-Man (1976)
- 'Who Killed Gwen Reilly?'#3
- 'Into the Fire!'#4
- 'There's a New Spider-Girl in Town!'#6
- 'Like a Fury Scorned!'#7
- 'Whom Gods Destroy'#8
- 'They First Make Mad!'#12
- 'Back to the War'
#220 Thunderbolts (1997)
- 'Web of Death, Part 2: A Time to Live!'#221
- 'Web of Death, Part 4: A Time to Die!'#222
- 'Players & Pawns Part One: False Truths'#223
- 'Aftershocks Part II - Schemes & Dreams: For Future Screams'#224
- 'The Mark of Kaine, Part 4 of 5: The Assassin with My Face!'#226
- 'The Trial of Peter Parker, Part 4 of 4: The Final Verdict'#227
- 'Maximum Clonage, Part 5: If Death Be My Destiny--!'#231
- 'The Return of Kaine, Part 1 of 4: Reluctant Lazarus'
Web of Spider-Man (1985)
#119 Web of Spider-Man (2009)
- 'The Exile Returns, Part 3 of 4: Echoes of Silence'#120
- 'Lure of the Spider'#121
- 'The Hunting'#122
- 'Smoke and Mirrors, Part 1 of 3: The Call'#123
- 'Players and Pawns Part 2 of 2: True Lies'#124
- 'The Mark of Kaine, Part 1 of 5: Walls'#126
- 'The Trial of Peter Parker, Part 1 of 4: Opening Statements'#127
- 'Maximum Clonage, Part 2: The Last Temptation of Peter Parker'
Famous Quotes: - Add a Famous Quote
< Previous Character | Next Character >
Add this character to a run of issues in a title
Suggest an image for this character
View the contribution history for this character