Mad Thinker (Marvel)
Search for 'Mad Thinker (Marvel)' on Amazon
The Mad Thinker has no superhuman powers. However, he is an extraordinary genius with knowledge of technology centuries beyond conventional science. He has a photographic memory and can rapidly organize and correlate vast amounts of information and perceive non-obvious patterns. He has the facilities and means to create all manner of sophisticated weaponry, androids, armor, and vehicles.
His analytical, mathematical, and geometrical abilities are of a sophisticated order not commonly found on Earth. He is particularly adept at robotics and artificial intelligence. He has constructed his own android, The Awesome Android, and once resurrected the original Human Torch. In addition to his own achievements he has stolen much of the secret technology of Reed Richards, back in the incident when he took over the Baxter building.
The Mad Thinker made his debut fighting the Fantastic Four. He once attempted to take over New York City using the Baxter Building as his base and all organized crime members as his lieutenants. He trapped the Fantastic Four in the lower quarters of the building but was eventually caught, after being stopped by an unforeseen factor: the building's mailman, Willie Lumpkin.
It seemed that his primary objective had not really been to take over the city but to manipulate organized crime into helping him get into the Baxter building so that he could indulge his intellectual avarice by stealing the technology of Reed Richards. In that sense, the Fantastic Four did not really defeat him, they only defeated his pretext. The Mad Thinker would gladly get sent to prison for a peek at the secrets of what he considered the greatest mind in the world.
Prisons don't do well to hold the Mad Thinker and he escapes from all levels of incarceration with little difficulty. Often he doesn't even bother escaping, but simply transmits his thoughts into a robot body at one of his secret bases. He can not only do his work, but he has the perfect alibi—he's already in prison.
The Mad Thinker became interested in the young supergroup called the New Warriors, and posed them a riddle when they first formed. In the final issue of the series, the answer to the riddle was revealed: the Mad Thinker's nephew had accidentally gained uncontrollable superpowers from his lab, killing his mother in the process. Now, the Thinker wanted them to help him. Presumably they did so using the Neoneutralizer they acquired in that adventure.
Since then, the Mad Thinker has been seen battling She-Hulk in a prison escape attempt. However, this Mad Thinker was revealed to be merely an android duplicate of the real Mad Thinker, created for purposes as yet unknown.
Although willing to kill heroes who get in his way, there are lines the Mad Thinker will not cross. A partnership with the Wizard was cut short after the kidnapping of the child Franklin Richards. The Wizard wished to experiment upon Franklin and learn the secret of his vast powers. The Mad Thinker, however, claimed that this had an almost certain probability of Franklin's death. When the Wizard acknowledged this but decided to continue anyway, an angry Thinker dissolved the partnership and helped lead Franklin's godfather, The Thing, to where the Wizard had the boy hostage. Currently, the Mad Thinker has himself allied with the Puppet Master, planning to strike against the Fantastic Four yet again. Told that he preferred to be called "The Thinker", The Puppet Master asked him why he had been called "The Mad Thinker" in the past. The reply was that he used to have "repressed anger issues". When the Puppet Master asks him about his anger, he replies that "it isn't repressed any more." He has built a device to amplify the Puppet Master's power so that they can escalate a battle between the two rival factions in the Super Hero Civil War.
First Appearance: Fantastic Four (1961) #15
Mad Thinker (Marvel) is a favorite character of 2 users
View a chronological listing of this character's appearances
Age of Ultron (2013)
#10 All-New Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A to Z (2006)
- 'Age of Ultron: Book Ten'
Avengers Spotlight (1989)
Avengers West Coast (1989)
#50 Avengers: Forever (1998)
- 'Return of the Hero'
#8 Captain America (1968)
- 'The Secret History Of The Avengers'
#269 Captain America (1998)
- 'A Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste!'#311
Captain America (2002)
#31 Captain America: Red, White & Blue (2002)
- 'Super Patriot Part 3'
Captain Marvel (1968)
#12 Civil War Chronicles (2007)
- 'The Moment Of The Man-Slayer'
#2 Daredevil (2014)
- 'Conspiracy, Book Two: Print the Legend'
Daredevil: Road Warrior (Infinite Comics) (2014)
Dark Reign Files (2009)
#55 Deadpool Killustrated (2013)
- 'Deadpool: Reborn Part 1: Bright Bright Sunshiny Day'
Die Fantastischen Vier Comic-Taschenbuch (1979)
Die Spinne Comic-Album (1979)
#3 Fall of the Hulks: Alpha (2010)
- 'All Die, Die Nicht Sehen Wollen...'
#1 Fall of the Hulks: Gamma (2010)
- 'Meeting of the Minds'
Fall of the Hulks: Red Hulk (2010)
#1 Fantastic Four (1961)
- 'The Power Cosmic'#4
- 'Best Case Scenario'
Annual 03 Fantastic Four (1968)
- 'Bedlam at the Baxter Building!'Annual 04Annual 25
- 'In Kang's Clutches!'TPB
- 'Greatest Villains of the Fantastic Four'#15
- 'The Mad Thinker and His Awesome Android!'#28
- 'We Have to Fight the X-Men!'#68
- 'His Mission: Destroy the Fantastic Four!'#69
- 'By Ben Betrayed!'#70
- 'When Fall the Mighty'#96
- 'The Mad Thinker and His Androids of Death!'#100
- 'The Long Journey Home!'#181
- 'Side By Side With... Annihilus??'#182
- 'Enter: The Mad Thinker!'#183
- 'Battleground: The Baxter Building!'#189
- 'The Torch That Was!'#190
- 'The Way It Was'#300
- 'Dearly Beloved...'#301
- 'Dark Dreams'#357
- 'The Monster Among Us!'#358
- 'Whatever Happened to Alicia?'#395
- 'Street Fighting'#539
- 'Decisions Made'#542
- 'We Used to Go to Hyperspace Just for Donuts'#568
- 'Doom's Master, Part 3'
#69/70 Fantastic Four (1998)
- 'Cote a cote avec...Annihilus??'#77/78
- 'Reed Richards déchainé!'#79/80
- 'Comme c'était!'
Fantastic Four (2005)
Vol 3 Fantastic Four Adventures (2005)
- 'Where Stalks the Sandman'
#47 Fantastic Four Adventures (2010)
- 'A Family Torn Apart!'
Fantastic Four Roast (1982)
#1 Fantastic Four: Foes (2005)
- 'When Titans Chuckle!'
#1 Fantastic Four: The End (2007)
- 'Part One'#2
- 'Part Two'#3
- 'Part Three'#4
- 'Part Four'#5
- 'Part Five'#6
- 'Part Six'
#3 Hulk (2008)
- 'Whatever Happened to All Those Reeds?'#4
- 'The Beating of Drums...'#5
- '...The Sound of War'#8
- 'Burn It Down'#11
#20 Incredible Hulks (2012)
- 'Man Nor Beast'#24
- 'The Strongest There Is'#25
Indestructible Hulk (2013)
#1 Iron Man (1968)
- 'Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.'
#74 Iron Man/Hulk (2013)
- 'The Modok Machine!'#75
- 'Slave To the Power Imperious!'#77
- 'I Cry: Revenge!'#80
- 'Mission Into Madness!'
#1 L`invincible Iron Man (1972)
- 'Glauben Teil 1: Geister und Dämonen (Iron Man)/Agent of SHIELD (Hulk)'
#30 Marvel Fanfare (1982)
- 'L`esclave du pouvoir imperieux!'#32
- 'Je crie: Vengeance!'
Marvel Masterworks (1987)
#25 Marvel Team-Up (1972)
- 'The Fantastic Four'
#6 Marvel Treasury Edition (1974)
- '... As Those Who Will Not See!'#129
- '...And Much To Ponder Before the Dawn...'
#13 Marvel Triple Action (1972)
- 'Giant Superhero Holiday Grab-Bag'
#31 Marvel TV: Galactus - The Real Story (2009)
- 'The Torment... and the Triumph!'
Marvel Two-In-One (1974)
#38 Marvel Two-In-One (2007)
- 'Thing Behind Prison Bars'#39
- 'The Vision Gambit'#96
- 'Visiting Hours!'
Marvels Companion (2014)
TPB New Avengers (2013)
- 'Marvels Companion'
New Warriors (2005)
#5 Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A to Z (2008)
- 'Nüponder, Michigan'
Power Pack (1984)
#54 Red She-Hulk (2012)
- '"Dino-Might" or "Boys and Their Toys"'
#63 ROM (1979)
- 'Route 616 - Part One'#65
- 'Route 616: North By Northdeath Part Three'#66
- 'Route 616. Part Four: Another Time And Place'#67
- 'Route 616: Conclusion'
#14 Saga of the Sub-Mariner (1988)
- 'The Ultimate Android!'#42
- 'Lead Me Not Into Temptation!'
#5 She-Hulk (2005)
- 'The Big Picture, Part 1: More Than a Handful'#6
- 'The Big Picture, Part 2: Minor Complications'#11
- 'Imbalance of Power'#12
- 'Some Disassembly Required'
#9 She-Hulks (2011)
- 'The Big Reveal'#14
- 'Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Awesome Andy But Were Afraid To Ask'#20
- 'The Clock is Ticking'
#3 Spider-Man Team-Up (1995)
- 'Man Hunt, Part 3'#4
- 'Man Hunt, Part 4'
Strange Tales (1951)
Tales of Suspense (1959)
Tales of the Thing (2005)
The Age of the Sentry (2008)
The Amazing Spider-Man (1963)
#242 The Astonishing Spider-Man (2009)
- 'Power to the People, Part One/The Other Woman'#612 (Newsstand Edition)
- 'Power to the People, Part One/The Other Woman'#613
- 'Power to the People!, Part Two'#676
- 'Tomorrow the World!'
#39 The Avengers (1963)
- 'Negative Forces!'#40
- 'The Body Electric!'
The Avengers (1973)
The Marvel Encyclopedia (2006)
HC The New Warriors (1990)
- 'The Marvel Encyclopedia'
Annual 02 The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe (1983)
- 'Questions of Power The Hero Killers Part 4'#3
- 'I Am, Therefore I Think'#36
- 'The Scales of Justice'#51
- 'Another Think Coming'#72
- 'The Monsters in the Basement!'#73
- 'Damn the Torpedoes'#75
- 'Sweet Sorrow'
#6 The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Deluxe Edition (1985)
- 'K-M: From Kang to Man-Bull'
#7 The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Master Edition (1990)
- 'Khoryphos to Magneto'
The Saga of the Original Human Torch (1990)
#4 The Sensational She-Hulk (1989)
- 'The Flaming Fifties'
#59 The Sub-Mariner (1968)
- 'Disorder In The Court'
#14 The Torch (2009)
- 'Burn, Namor, Burn'
The Very Best of the X-Men (1994)
HC Thor (1966)
- 'The Very Best of the X-Men'
#499 Thunderbolts (1997)
- 'Ludwig's Chlidren'#500
- 'Sunlight and Shadows'
Uncanny X-Men (2013)
West Coast Avengers (1985)
#42 World War Hulks (2010)
- 'VisionQuest, Part One: One of Our Androids is Missing!'
X-Men: First Class (2007)
X-Men: Odd Men Out (2008)
Council of Doom (Marvel)
Future Foundation (Marvel)
Famous Quotes: - Add a Famous Quote
"Next time, my plan will be flawless!"
< Previous Character | Next Character >
Add this character to a run of issues in a title
Suggest an image for this character
View the contribution history for this character