Search for 'Amazo (DC)' on Amazon
Absorption Cells: throughout Amazo's synthetic body permit the android to replicate the special abilities of any super-beings in his immediate proximity. With every being encountered, Amazo becomes even more powerful and virtually unstoppable. Originally, he could only use one power at a time and has duplicated Superman's strength, The Flash's speed, Green Lantern's power ring, and Wonder Woman's magic lasso among others. In most cases, Amazo possesses a 'default' form consisting of the powers of the first five (post-Crisis) JLA members, capable of adapting to incorporate other powers. After years of battling the JLA to a standstill, he recently "upgraded" by absorbing part of Hourman's Worlogog which gave him time traveling powers as well.
Power Amplification: The ability to absorb others' powers and magnify them to greater levels.
¡His "Default Template" powers include those of:
¡Powers of Superman
¡Powers of Wonder Woman
¡Powers of the Flash
¡Powers of Martian Manhunter
¡Powers of Aquaman
¡Skills of Green Arrow
¡Intelligence and Skills of Batman
Wields an exact duplicate of Wonder Woman's lasso and Green Lantern's ring.
Credited as being the world's first official android, Amazo was created by the immortal, evil mastermind Professor Ivo. Utilizing superior "absorption cell" technology, Amazo can replicate the super powers of any metahuman he encounters. And so, Amazo became one of the most dangerous menaces to originally oppose the Justice League of America. While initially programmed to serve the agenda of his creator - to find any means to prolong Ivo's immortality, Amazo had outgrown his original agenda.
Taking on the Justice League of America, Amazo has several heroic enemies. For a time, he was imprisoned in an airtight chamber within The Fortress of Solitude, after challenging Superman. However, he eventually escaped that prison, and resumed his rivalry with the JLA, as well as the Justice Legion A's Hourman. A cybernetic hero from the 853rd century, Hourman's presence made Amazo resentful and bitter. But while Hourman - who later joined the new JSA, then departed to his original time period, is no longer Amazo's primary foe, Superman and the rest of the Justice League were still present to pose a continual problem for Amazo. While his programming and own sentience have displayed no intent on world conquest, Amazo exists as a monster of sorts, whose very being is a hazard to all of humanity.
First Appearance: The Brave and the Bold (1955) #30
Amazo (DC) is a favorite character of 3 users
View a chronological listing of this character's appearances
Action Comics (1938)
#480 Avengers/JLA (2003)
- 'Amazo's Big Breakthrough!'#481
- 'It's A Bird... It's A Plane... It's Supermobile!'#482
- 'This Is A Job For Supermobile!'#483
- 'Sleep No More!'#850
- 'Superman: Family'
#4 Aztek: The Ultimate Man (1996)
- 'The Brave...and the Bold'
TPB Batman (1940)
- 'JLA Presents: Aztek the Ultimate Man'#10
- 'A League Of Their Own'
TPB Batman Villains Secret Files and Origins 2005 (2005)
- 'Under The Hood Vol. 1'TPB
- 'Under The Red Hood'TPB (3rd Printing)
- 'Under the Red Hood'#636
- 'Under the Hood, Part 2: First Strike'#637
- 'Under the Hood, Part 3: Overnight Deliveries'
Batman: War Crimes (2006)
Blackest Night (2009)
HC Blackest Night: Tales of the Corps (2009)
- 'Blackest Night'TPB
- 'Blackest Night'#0
- 'Death Becomes Us'
Crisis on Multiple Earths (2002)
DC Comics Graphic Novel Collection [GER] (2015)
#63 DC Retroactive: JLA - The '80s (2011)
- 'JLA: Ein Akt Gottes'
DC Super Stars (1976)
#10 DC Universe: Origins (2009)
- 'Presents Strange Sports Stories'
TPB DCU Villains Secret Files (1999)
- 'DC Universe: Origins'
Doom Patrol (2001)
#10 Firestorm (2004)
- 'Asphalt and Good Intentions'
#14 Flashpoint: The Legion of Doom (2011)
- 'First Days'#16
- 'Secret Origins, Part Two'#17
- 'An Unrighteous World'
#1 Flashpoint: The World of Flashpoint Featuring The Flash (2012)
- 'Hot Blooded'#2
- 'Fired Up!'
TPB Graphic Ink: The DC Comics Art of Darwyn Cooke (2015)
- 'Flashpoint: The World of Flashpoint Featuring The Flash'
HC Green Arrow (2001)
- 'Graphic Ink: The DC Comics Art of Darwyn Cooke'
#22 Hawkman (2002)
- 'The Vertigo Treatment'
#15 Hourman (1999)
- 'The Thanagarian, Part One'
#1 Infinite Crisis (2005)
- 'Through the Hourglass'#2
- 'Romancing the Tombstone'#5
- 'The Death of Hourman'#6
- 'The Human League'#20
- 'My So-Called Afterlife'#25
- '...But You'll Never See the End of the Road if You're Travelling With Me'
#13 JLA Gallery (1997)
- 'Rock Of Ages, Part Four: Wasteland'#14
- 'Rock Of Ages, Part Five: Twilight of the Gods'#27
- 'The Bigger They Come...'
#1 JLA: Act of God (2000)
- 'Amazo to Green Arrow'
#1 JLA: Classified (2005)
- 'Book I: Power Lost'
#21 JLA: The Nail (1998)
- 'The Hypothetical Woman, Conclusion: After The Fire!'#37
- 'Into the Abyss!: Kid Amazo, Part 1'#38
- 'Man & Superman!: Kid Amazo, Part 2'#39
- 'The Birth of Tragedy!: Kid Amazo, Part 3'#41
- 'Twilight of the Gods: Kid Amazo, Part 5'
JLA: The Ultimate Guide to The Justice League of America (2002)
#3 JSA: Classified (2005)
- 'Strange Adventures'
#19 Justice League of America (1960)
- 'Skin Trade: Part One - Spare Parts'
Annual 01 Justice League of America (2006)
- 'If I Should Die Before I Wake...'#27
- 'The "I" Who Defeated the Justice League'#65
- 'T.O. Morrow Kills the Justice League - Today!'#112
- 'War with the One-Man Justice League!'#191
- 'The Key Crisis of the One-Man Justice League!'#218
- 'The Price Of Humanity'#239
- 'In The Shadow Of The Ox'#241
- 'Sea Change'#242
- 'Battle Cry'#243
- 'Storm Clouds'#259
- 'Last Stand'
#0 Justice League of America: Another Nail (2004)
- 'Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow'#4
- 'The Tornado's Path, Chapter 4: Being Human'#5
- 'The Tornado's Path, Chapter 5: Born Again'#6
- 'The Tornado's Path, Final Chapter: Iron Man'#11
- 'The Second Coming, Chapter 1: The Widening Gyre'#23
- 'The Second Coming, Chapter 2: Things Fall Apart'#24
- 'The Second Coming, Chapter 3: The Blood-Dimmed Tide'#38
- 'Out of the Ashes...'#39
- 'Reunion, Part 1'#60
Justice League Quarterly (1990)
Justice League Sourcebook (1990)
Justice League: Generation Lost (2010)
#14 Legends of the Dark Knight [I] (2012)
- 'Tomorrow Is Today'#24
- 'It All Comes Down to This!'
#2 Legends of the Dark Knight [II] (2012)
- 'All of the Above: Part 1 of 1'
Martian Manhunter Special (1996)
Resurrection Man (1997)
Secret Files & Origins Guide to the DC Universe 2000 (2000)
#1 Secret Origins of Super-Villains 80-Page Giant (1999)
- 'Guide to the DC Universe 2000'
Sins of Youth Secret Files (2000)
Sins of Youth: JLA Jr. (2000)
#1 Sins of Youth: The Secret & Deadboy (2000)
- 'You Gotta Be Kidding!'
#1 Solo (2004)
- 'Looking for Trouble...'
Solomon Grundy (2009)
#4 Starman (1994)
- 'Took Ill on a Thursday'#5
- 'Worse on a Friday!'
#35 Superman (1939)
- 'Mr. Pip and Mr. Black'
#314 Superman Sonderband (1997)
- 'Before This Night Is Over, Superman Will Kill!'#657
- 'Camelot Falls'
#4 Superman Special (1983)
- 'Countdown für Metropolis'
#3 Superman Y2K (2000)
- 'Amazo Means Mayhem!'
The Batman Strikes! (2004)
The Brave and the Bold (1955)
#30 The DC Comics Encyclopedia (2004)
- 'Case of the Stolen Super Powers!'
HC The Flash (1987)
- 'The DC Comics Encyclopedia: Updated And Expanded'HC
- 'The DC Comics Encyclopedia'
Annual 04 Trinity (2008)
- 'Family Business'TPB
- 'Flash by Mark Waid Book 1'
Villains United (2005)
#5 Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe (1985)
- 'Villains United, Part Five: Victims of Aggression'#6
- 'Villains United, Part Six: At the End of All Things'
Who's Who: Update '87 (1987)
#5 Young Justice (1998)
- 'Reaper to Zymyr plus Appendix'
#50 Young Justice: Sins of Youth (2000)
- 'Fighting Maad, Part 4: MUBAR'
- 'The Stunning Conclusion'
Secret Society of Super-Villains (03-Current)
Famous Quotes: - Add a Famous Quote
"I am the most powerful creature in the Universe, created by the great Professor Ivo to serve him...and assist him in his conquest of the Earth!"
< Previous Character | Next Character >
Add this character to a run of issues in a title
Suggest an image for this character
View the contribution history for this character