Real Name: Nigel Keane
Search for 'Hellstrike' on Amazon
Hellstrike is a seedling (mutant), the people who were genetically affected by the Comet Effect of the 1960's. He's a living weapon of pure energy, what the scientist call a gaseous sentient posthuman entity. He can fire explosive plasma bolts, build a protective plasma shield and fly by means of his energy jet stream. Unfortunately, since one of his first missions, he's been bound to a containment suit that prevents him from explosively dispersing.
Formerly a Scotland Yard inspector, he also proved to be a valuable asset in non-combat situation. Having operated initially in Northern Ireland, he's particularly good at counter-terrorism.
Nigel was born Irish in Belfast. He served in the British police constabulary in Belfast for some years before moving to London. There, he fell in love with Anne, his partner while investigating the IRA. Their relationship lasted until an Irish terrorist/mercenary by the name of Seamus O'Brien, killed her in front of him. In the ensuing fight, Keane was mortally wounded. But before dying, his powers manifested, saving his life and making him Hellstrike. O'Brien later became the villain Deathtrap, leader of the MERC, a mercenary unit of super powered beings. Hellstrike bears a long grudge against Deathtrap for both this and Anne's murder.
Nigel joined StormWatch One, the main team of superheroes serving the UN. In the Wildstorm universe, the UN is secretly a menacing worldwide conspiracy led by gun-toting, paranoid "Secret Masters". While they are heroes, the operatives of StormWatch are quite ruthless and do not hesitate to violate the rights of a country in order to advance the agenda of the UN.
After a battle against Deathtrap, Hellstrike was severely injured, fell into coma and his neural circuitry began to fall apart. His body started to lose cohesion and broke into pure energy in a tremendous explosion that ruined Skywatch's sickbay. At this time, Nigel decided to give up his life. Then, Fuji contacted him in his comatose state and persuaded him that his life was still worth something, with Fuji using himself as an example. With the help of StormWatch engineering genius Link, Nigel received a tailor made containment suit, much like Fuji's, except that Fuji's gives him the control of his own density and avoids radioactive gas leaks, while Hellstrike's acts as a force field preventing him from exploding.
He can manipulate it at will, such as when he learned he could grow genitallia, something he offered to show his teammates. They refused. Unfortunately, others can manipulate it, such as when the High grabbed it.
When Bendix reshaped StormWatch, Hellstrike was attached to StormWatch Prime under Winter's command. StormWatch Prime was the unit devoted to deal with superhuman threats in hotwar situations.
At some point, he began a relationship with Fahrenheit that they kept secret until Weatherman Battalion found out - it was contrary to regulations about fraternization between field officers. Battalion had to break into Hellstrike's quarters because neither he nor Lauren were responding to the radio calls.
Hellstrike was one of the four officers that died in the Aliens infestation. Hellstrike was killed when his containment suit was destroyed during an attack by Xenomorphs on Skywatch in the WildC.A.T.s/Aliens crossover, along with Fahrenheit, Fuji, and others.
Hellstrike will have a supporting role in the new Stormwatch series written by Christos Gage. It is revealed that The Doctor was able to bring him back after the events of Worldstorm.
First Appearance: Stormwatch (1993) #1
Hellstrike is a favorite character of 1 user
View a chronological listing of this character's appearances
Alan Moore's The Complete WildC.A.T.s (2007)
TPB Avengers (1996)
- 'Alan Moore's The Complete WildC.A.T.s'
#13 Backlash (1994)
- 'World War 3, Part 2: Winning and Losing'
Badrock & Company (1994)
Codename: Strykeforce (1994)
Coup D'Etat: Afterword (2004)
DC/WS DreamWar (2008)
TPB Die Fantastischen Vier (1999)
- 'DC / WildStorm DreamWar'#1
- 'Chimera Rising'#3
- 'Bad To The Bone'#6
- '...Perchance To Dream'
#13 Die Rächer (1999)
- 'Dritter Weltkrieg (1/4): Leben im Krieg'
#13 DV8 (1996)
- 'Dritter Weltkrieg (2/4): Sieger und Verlierer'
Fantastic Four (1996)
#13 Fire From Heaven (1996)
- 'World War 3, Part 1: Life in Wartime'
#1 Iron Man (1996)
- 'Chapter One: Gamorra Rising'#2
- 'Finale 2: Moonlight and Ashes'
#13 Iron Man (1999)
- 'World War 3, Part 3: No Time to Mourn!'
#13 James Robinson's The Complete WildC.A.T.s (2009)
- 'Dritter Weltkrieg (3/4): Keine Zeit zu trauern!'
TPB Number of the Beast (2008)
- 'James Robinson's The Complete WildC.A.T.s'
TPB#8 Sleeper: Season Two (2004)
- 'Verse Eight: The Late Great Planet Earth'
TPB vol. 05 StormWatch [GER] (2003)
- 'Final Orbit'#1
- 'Hard Rain - Strange Weather 1 of 3'#1 (Travis Charest Cover)
- 'Hard Rain - Strange Weather 1 of 3'#1 (Voyager Pack)
- 'Hard Rain - Strange Weather 1 of 3'#2
- 'Red Sky in the Morning - Strange Weather 2 of 3'#3
- 'A Storm Coming - Strange Weather 3 of 3'#4
- 'A Finer World 1 of 3'#5
- 'A Finer World 2 of 3'#5 (Variant)
- 'A Finer World 2 of 3'#6
- 'A Finer World 3 of 3'
#1#2#3#4#5#6#7 Stormwatch: P.H.D. (2007)
- 'Wandel oder Untergang Teil Eins'#8
- 'Wandel oder Untergang Teil zwei'#9
- 'Seltsames Wetter Teil Eins'#10
- 'Seltsames Wetter Teil Drei'#11
- 'Eine bessere Welt'#12
- 'Der Puls'#13
- 'Der Puls'#14
- 'WILDC.A.T.S. / Aliens'
Stormwatch: P.H.D.: Armageddon (2008)
#16 The Authority (2008)
- 'Supreme Madness 4'#18
- 'Supreme Madness 6'
The Authority: Prime (2007)
TPB The Monarchy (2001)
- 'Breach of Trust'#1
- 'Breach of Trust, Part 1'#2
- 'Breach of Trust, Part 2'#3
- 'Breach of Trust, Part 3'#4
- 'Breach of Trust, Part 4'#5
- 'Breach of Trust, Part 5'#6
- 'Breach of Trust, Part 6'
#11 The Savage Dragon (1993)
- 'Book 11: The Idiot's Guide to the Death of the World, Part 2 of 3: Bellerophon'
WildC.A.T.s: Covert Action Teams (1992)
#19 Wildstorm Rarities (1994)
- 'Red Blade, 1 of 3: Red Dawn'#20#21
- 'Red Blade 3 of 3: Red Reign'#22
- 'The Protectorate Part 1 of 3: Groundwork'#24
- 'The Protectorate'#25
- 'The Protectorate Part 3 of 3: Knock Down, Drag Out'#26
- 'Desert Storms'#27
- 'Bad Medicine 1 of 4: The Broken Heart of the World'#28
- 'Bad Medicine Part 2 of 4: Firebreak'#29
- 'Bad Medicine Part 3 of 4: Change'#30
- 'Bad Medicine Part 4 of 4: In Practice'
Wildstorm Rising (1995)
Wildstorm Spotlight (1997)
WildStorm Universe (2009)
Wildstorm Universe 97 (1996)
Wildstorm Universe Sourcebook (1995)
Wildstorm: After the Fall (2010)
- 'WildStorm: After the Fall'
Famous Quotes: - Add a Famous Quote
< Previous Character | Next Character >
Add this character to a run of issues in a title
Suggest an image for this character
View the contribution history for this character