Guardian (Marvel)(01 - James Hudson)
Real Name: James MacDonald Hudson
Search for 'Guardian (Marvel)(01 - James Hudson)' on Amazon
Formerly, Guardian used a skintight technological suit which allowed him to fly, fire energy blasts and has a personal force field for defense. Perhaps his most spectacular power was his ability to suspend his positioning relative to the Earth's electromagnetic field while the planet rotated, allowing him to travel West at high speed depending on his latitude positioning.
When he returned from space, the technology that formerly existed as a separate part of his suit was incorporated into his body. As a result, his powers were greatly enhanced.
Guardian's power suit allows for:
* increased strength and durability;
* cybernetic link-up and hacking abilities;
* advanced weapons systems, including (but not limited to) electromagnetic projectors, concussive beams, ultrasonic beams, and a graviton beam;
* increased intelligence due to the fusion of his battle suit to his neural network;
* increased speed, reaching Mach 1;
* ability to create and travel through a wormhole.
* the ability to lock himself relative to the Earth's electromagnetic field. This allowed him to apparently vanish, while actually being whisked west at incredible speeds.
James MacDonald Hudson is a leading scientist for the Am-Can Corporation developing a powered exo-skeleton suit. When he learns that his work will be used for American military purposes, Hudson raids his workplace, steals the prototype suit and destroys the plans. He leaves the suit to be recovered (albeit without the vital control helmet) and fully expects to be sued and arrested for his actions.
However, Hudson's girlfriend, Heather MacNeil, uses political connections in the Canadian government to persuade Am-Can to waive the charges against him. As a result, Department H is formed, a secret branch of the Canadian Ministry of Defense, and Hudson is named as head of operations. Inspired by the debut of the Fantastic Four, Hudson forms Alpha Flight as a superhero team for the Canadian government and develops his exo-skeleton into a battle suit.
Hudson's tenure with Alpha Flight, however, is short lived. Although seemingly killed when his battlesuit explodes, he is in fact transported to Jupiter's moon, Ganymede. There he meets an alien race known as the Qwrlln. In their attempts to heal Hudson, the Qwrlln integrate his battle suit into his body, fusing it to his biological and nervous systems.
Hudson eventually returns to Earth and takes the name Vindicator, leaving the title of Guardian (and position of leadership) with his wife, Heather. Again, Hudson's time with the team is cut short when the Qwrlln summon him (and a select group of heroes) to protect their planet against Galactus. As before, Hudson seemingly perishes when his suit detonates while transporting the heroes back home. However, during the explosion Hudson is transported to an alternate dimension. After some time, he eventually returns to Earth.
While again working for Department H, Jamie becomes caught up in the nefarious plans of its new director, General Jeremy Clarke. Scientists working for Clarke clone Jamie, steal his memories, and attempt to shoot his body into outer space. The plan does not succeed, though, as Hudson crash lands in Antarctica.
A seemingly de-aged Hudson reappears to the members of Alpha Flight. This is in fact the clone created by Department H. The original Jamie is eventually found by Sasquatch in Antarctica. After his return he once again becomes team leader while, the clone becomes leader of Beta Flight. Later, both Hudsons are captured by AIM, and the clone is killed in the escape.
Along with several other members of Alpha Flight, Hudson attempts to return a clutch of Plodex eggs to their homeworld. However, an accident brings temporal copies of most of the original Alpha Flight - from a time before Hudson's first "death" - to the present. This group, including James Hudson, takes up the role of Alpha Flight.
Alpha Flight (the team consisting of Sasquatch, Guardian, Vindicator, Shaman, Major Mapleleaf II, and both Pucks) are brutally attacked by a new villain, "the Collective". Their bodies are left in the Yukon Territory as the Collective continues on to the United States. The exact status of these heroes is unknown.
First Appearance: Uncanny X-Men (1963) #109
Vindicator (Marvel)(01 - James Hudson)
Guardian (Marvel)(01 - James Hudson) is a favorite character of 8 users
View a chronological listing of this character's appearances
All-New Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A to Z (2006)
Alpha Flight (1983)
Alpha Flight (1997)
#13 Alpha Flight (2004)
- 'Floor 13'#18
- 'Alpha: Omega, Part 1'#19
- 'Alpha: Omega, Part 2'#20
- 'Alpha: Omega, Part 3'
#2 Alpha Flight (2011)
- 'You Gotta Be Kiddin' Me 2 of 6'#5
- 'You Gotta Be Kiddin' Me 5 of 6'#6
- 'You Gotta Be Kiddin' Me 6 of 6'#9
- 'Days of Future Present, Past Participle Part 1'#10
- 'Days of Future Present, Past Participle Part 2'#11
- 'Days of Future Present, Past Participle Part 3'#12
- 'Days of Future Present, Past Participle Part 4'
#0.1#1 Amazing X-Men (2014)
- 'Pride of a Nation'#2
- 'Born on the First of July'#3
- 'Powered & Dangerous'#4
- 'With Many, Strength'#5
- 'The Last Refuge'#6
- 'A Murder of Crows'#7
- 'Pride of a Nation (Redux)'
#8 Astonishing X-Men (2004)
- 'World War Wendigo! Part 1 of 5'#10
- 'World War Wendigo! Part 3 of 5'#11
- 'World War Wendigo! Part 4 of 5'#12
- 'World War Wendigo! Conclusion'
Black Panther (1998)
#42 Chaos War (2010)
- 'The Kiber Chronicles'#44
- '60 Minutes'
#4 Chaos War: Alpha Flight (2011)
- 'Facing Oblivion'#5
- 'The End Is Here'
Citizen V and the V-Battalion: The Everlasting (2002)
#3 Civil War: The Initiative (2007)
- 'The Devil You Know'
Classic X-Men (1986)
#26 Dark Angel (1992)
- 'Wanted: Wolverine! Dead or Alive!'
Dark X-Men: The Beginning (2009)
#2 Deadpool (2013)
- 'Cloak/Dagger/Weapon Omega/Daken'
#45 Fantastic Four (1961)
- 'The Death Of Deadpool'
#643 Free Comic Book Day 2009 (Wolverine: Origin of an X-Man) (2009)
- 'Back in Blue Part 3'
Generation X (1994)
#53 Marvel Age (1983)
- 'Mayan Rule: part 1: Bloodletting'#54
- 'Mayan Rule: part 2: Reunion'#57
- 'Mayan Rule Conclusion'
Marvel Atlas (2008)
Marvel Encyclopedia (2002)
Marvel Fanfare (1982)
Marvel Universe: The End (2003)
#5 New Avengers (2005)
- 'The Cure'
Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A to Z (2008)
HC vol. 04 Stan Lee Meets Dr. Strange (2006)
- 'Earthmover to Guardians of the Galaxy'TPB vol. 04
- 'Earthmover to Guardians of the Galaxy'
The Incredible Hulk (1968)
The Marvel Encyclopedia (2006)
HC The Mighty World Of Marvel (2009)
- 'The Marvel Encyclopedia'
#35 The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe (1983)
- 'A new epic! The chaos war begins now!'#37#38
#4 The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Deluxe Edition (1985)
- 'D-G: From Dragon Man to Gypsy Moth'
#17 The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Master Edition (1990)
- 'Book of the Dead (Destiny to Hobgoblin)'
Uncanny X-Force (2013)
Uncanny X-Men (1963)
#421 What If...? (1989)
- 'Rules of Engagement, Part 1 of 2'#422
- 'Rules of Engagement, Part 2 of 2'#432
- 'The Draco, Part IV of VI'#433
- 'The Draco, Part V of VI'#434
- 'The Draco, Conclusion'
#23 Wolverine (1988)
- 'What If the All-New All-Different X-Men Had Never Existed?'#24
- 'What If... Wolverine Had Become the Lord of Vampires?'#62
- 'What If Logan Battled Weapon X?'
#142 Wolverine and Deadpool (2004)
- 'On the Edge of Darkness'#171
- 'Stay Alive, Part 2 of 3'#172
- 'Stay Alive! Conclusion!'#173
- 'The Logan Files, 1 of 3'#174
- 'The Logan Files, 2 of 3'
#170 Wolverine And Deadpool (2010)
- '"I Want My Logo Bigger. You Hear Me? BIGGER!!!"'
#12 Wolverine Encyclopedia (1996)
- 'The X-Men Strike!'
Wolverine: First Class (2008)
Wolverine: Origins (2006)
#33 Wolverine: Season One (2013)
- 'Weapon XI: Part 1'
X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)
X-Men Unlimited (1993)
X-Men/Alpha Flight (1998)
- 'Should Old Acquaintance Be Forgot'
Alpha Flight (Marvel)
Department H (Marvel)
Famous Quotes: - Add a Famous Quote
< Previous Character | Next Character >
Add this character to a run of issues in a title
Suggest an image for this character
View the contribution history for this character